Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    759

    Salt & Vinegar Recipes

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    I am addicted to salt & vinegar chips. I don't eat them a lot, but when I do, it is divine!

    Do any of you have a recipe to perhaps make sweet potatoes or regular potatoes with salt and vinegar in some fashion?

    Thanks!
    Lisa

    Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm the only one allowed to whine
    Posts
    10,576
    Baked, cubed, and sprinkled with coarse salt and malt vinegar.

    YUM!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,479
    I'm beginning to think Knot is a rather good cook.

    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm the only one allowed to whine
    Posts
    10,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I'm beginning to think Knot is a rather good cook.

    Naw, I suck as a cook.
    I only put effort into the things I like to eat...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    4,713
    That's pretty much the classic way to do them. My father thinks that potatoes (well, fried ones!) seasoned in such a way should be paired with a large helping of deep-fried cod, wrapped in newspaper (the kind with lampblack-based ink) and consumed in the late evening in the rain, with a side helping of mushy peas.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

    2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

    2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva


    Saving for the next one...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm the only one allowed to whine
    Posts
    10,576
    OMG, mushy peas!

    Brings back my childhood! We also had bouncy peas - canned peas so sodden with preservatives and food coloring (green) that they bounced if they fell off your plate. (This was the 1970's. Preservatives were good for you!)

    To this day, I don't like peas unless they are in pea soup with ham or as pea-pods. (love them fresh off the vine) And I yearn for meat pies with egg glaze and hard boiled eggs inside.

    Oh, and tea with far too much sugar and milk. The kind you'd get at the train station, with a wee packet of digestives.

    And semolina with faux strawberry jam. (pudding at school)

    ...sigh.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,336
    I didn't know that potato salad as we know them here are mayonnaise based. I grew up eating it "German" style, which is oil and vinegar. I'm sure you can look up a recipe for it but it's mostly just boiled (or baked) potato sliced about 1/6" with onions, oil, vinegar, and salt. I forgo the onions and throw in carrots and celery but I'm sure you can vary them.

    One thing I should note is it really won't taste very good with olive oil, the flavour's too strong. Best to stick to something like grapeseed or sunflower.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    That's pretty much the classic way to do them. My father thinks that potatoes (well, fried ones!) seasoned in such a way should be paired with a large helping of deep-fried cod, wrapped in newspaper (the kind with lampblack-based ink) and consumed in the late evening in the rain, with a side helping of mushy peas.
    It's also lovely to eat them in a car and steam up the windows in doing so!
    No peas for me, thanks.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,479
    I always picture those gross canned peas I grew up with too. One reason I have to remind myself to eat veggies, though I do like them. The ones I grew up with were not good.

    I do have a recipe for green jello made with cottage cheese. But I prefer the strawberry jello mold.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I didn't know that potato salad as we know them here are mayonnaise based. I grew up eating it "German" style, which is oil and vinegar. I'm sure you can look up a recipe for it but it's mostly just boiled (or baked) potato sliced about 1/6" with onions, oil, vinegar, and salt. I forgo the onions and throw in carrots and celery but I'm sure you can vary them.

    One thing I should note is it really won't taste very good with olive oil, the flavour's too strong. Best to stick to something like grapeseed or sunflower.
    Boil potatoes, let them cool, then peel and slice them.

    Prepare the dressing in a bowl:
    1 onion, cut to very small pieces
    Garlic
    Salt, Pepper, nutmeg
    Vinegar (a white kind, whine or apple), Oil (as Badger said, it should taste neutral)
    You can add a bit of mustard if you like

    Mix in the sliced potatoes, maybe add a little bit of water if it is too dry.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •