Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

I want to replace my 25 year old bike but my bf says I should diet and lose 20 lbs?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Help! I know nothing about bike maintenance. my boyfriend does all my bike maintenance. But after 3 years of following my boyfriend around and listening to his scorn at my inability to maintain his speed or bike over 80 miles per day, I am thinking about spurging on another bike for the second time in 25 years. But Should I keep my Fiji made 25 years ago which is indestructable or should I buy a fancy new bike which will break down and cost me lot of money in repairs but will allow me to go on a bike tour or at the least let me keep pace with my boyfriend. I am a runner who runs 6 miles a day, 7 days a week and only bikes about 4 days a month
    Last edited by socaljewel; 06-12-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Get Thee to your nearest LBS! Shiny new bike, shiny new bike! LBS folks will be more than happy to help you out. Leave BF somewhere else.

Really, a newer model will be lighter, less weight to push around. And if you're having fun, enjoying the ride, you'll be more likely to ride - thus more likely to drop pounds.

And if you can already run 6 miles a day, it sounds like your weight is probably pretty healthy anyway, so tell BF to stick the 20 pounds up his nose. Are YOU happy with your weight??
    Beth

should I buy a fancy new bike which will break down and cost me lot of money in repairs
    On the contrary, if you get a new bike, like a new car, you should not expect it to break or need repairs for quite a while. And it will likely have a warranty for the first year or so.

If you get the right bike, you'll be way more comfortable, the bike will be lighter, and it will be much easier for you to start riding faster. You might even want to ride more than 4 days a month.

Just remember, fit, fit, fit. Get a bike that fits right. Check out some of the threads here on choosing a new bike, there's lots of good advice.

We have a 25-year-old Fuji in the garage. It's really cool, but very heavy! My bf converted it into a single speed for fun.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

I'll be more blunt than Beth.

Drop the boyfriend. Buy the bike.

Good luck!

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Well I'm 5 3" and since my student days when I bought my Fiji Absolute, I have gained about 20 lbs. But with breast cancer, menopause, raising two kids, bouts of unemployment, I have not been overly concerned with my spare tire around my abdomen. I am used to the solid ride of my 35 lb Fiji bike with friction shifters and big tires. I am scared I will have lots of flats with skinny tires, and I'm scared the integrated brake index shifters will break constantly. I'm afraid I should save the $500 (Costco's Northrock or Wallmart's Trace bikes)

If it were me, I'd lose the boyfriend then find someone who wants to share your passions along with his or at least is tolerant and accepting of other interests by their partner. But that's just me.

When someone genuinely likes another person, they give encouragment, not scorn.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Fiji sounds like a keeper for a rainy-day no-hurry bike.

I'd hit the new boyfriend shop first and then go celebrate by buying a new bike

But yes, new bikes are superfun, you won't be able to keep your hands off of it! You'd for sure ride more than 4 days a month on a new light pretty shiny bike.

But...I'd also suggest not riding with the boyfriend if he's going to be like that. At least until you're more confident about yourself on a bike (and I don't mean a better rider - I just mean more sure of what you can do, and willing to stand up for it as an accomplishment. Plenty of people can't keep up with him, I'd bet, so don't feel upset that you can't.) I can't keep up (running OR biking) with my guy and he's always been very supportive of me anyway. I've been re-celebrating little milestones on the bike for the last six months and sometimes I think he's more proud of me than I am.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Writer View Post
    If it were me, I'd lose the boyfriend then find someone who wants to share your passions along with his or at least is tolerant and accepting of other interests by their partner. But that's just me.

When someone genuinely likes another person, they give encouragment, not scorn.
    The is wise advise. Sounds like you been through a lot, and without doubt, you deserve better.

Keep your Fuji until you want to buy or feel more comfortable buying a new bike.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

I am scared I will have lots of flats with skinny tires
    Nah. I'm not saying it will never happen, but it's not like you'll be changing a tire every ride, or every other ride, or every other other ride. You can get this Goop stuff that goes in your tires that helps prevent it. You can even get kevlar tires, those things rock.

, and I'm scared the integrated brake index shifters will break constantly. I'm afraid I should save the $500 (Costco's Northrock or Wallmart's Trace bikes)
    I hate to say this, but if you get a Costco or Walmart bike, then things breaking will be a problem. You definitely want to get something at a Local Bike Shop, or at the very least check out REI's bikes. You could also do a lot of research and find a used bike for around that much.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Quote Originally Posted by socaljewel View Post
    Well I'm 5 3" and since my student days when I bought my Fiji Absolute, I have gained about 20 lbs. But with breast cancer, menopause, raising two kids, bouts of unemployment, I have not been overly concerned with my spare tire around my abdomen. I am used to the solid ride of my 35 lb Fiji bike with friction shifters and big tires. I am scared I will have lots of flats with skinny tires, and I'm scared the integrated brake index shifters will break constantly. I'm afraid I should save the $500 (Costco's Northrock or Wallmart's Trace bikes)
    Don't buy a cheap bike, you'll regret it. Go to a LBS - they'll help you pick a bike that fits, and works for the kind of riding you do, or want to do. They'll also teach you to take care of it. After all you've been through, our bodies aren't the same as when we were 20, sad, I know. I'm impressed that you run 6 miles/day!

Flats - learn to fix them, or at least change tires. (LBS guys and gals can help here). Tires also come in varieties, again your LBS shop will help you pick out what you need. And there are liners too.

LBS! LBS!
    Beth

Help! I know nothing about bike maintenance.
    You can learn if you'd like, or not and use a reliable LBS, as many others (men and women) do.

But after 3 years of following my boyfriend around and listening to his scorn at my inability to maintain his speed or bike over 80 miles per day
    And you're following him around... why? Ride alone, find a new riding buddy, join a biking club. I couldn't keep up with him, and I wouldn't feel bad about that, and I sure as heck wouldn't let someone (him) try to make me feel bad about that! I ride because it's fun, and listening to scorn does not fall into the category of "fun."

Should I keep my Fiji made 25 years ago which is indestructable or should I buy a fancy new bike
    This is a false dichotomy. Keep the Fiji, AND buy a new bike. No "or" necessary.

at the least let me keep pace with my boyfriend.
    As I implied above, why would you want to "keep pace" with him? Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    Drop the boyfriend. Buy the bike.
    QFT! New bike = less maintenance and AWESOME SPEED. I was absolutely amazed how much faster my road bike was than my hybrid even though I was in worse shape when I bought it.
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it.

2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0
    2007 Fuji Absolute 2.0

I am scared I will have lots of flats with skinny tires
    Don't be scared. I was terrified for years and I finally just bought levers and a new tire and spent half an hour watching videos on YouTube while changing a tire in my living room. Then the next day I change my other tire and it took less than five minutes! It is really so much easier than you'd think! Practice in your home once or twice and you'll be confident, trust me!
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it.

2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0
    2007 Fuji Absolute 2.0

What they all said. Get a decent bike, learn how to fix a flat, tell your boyfriend to shut it - and lose 20 lbs if you want to. I won't lie and tell you it won't improve your cycling, if you have the lbs to lose. But buying a lighter bike will give you a proper kickstart, and probably the will to ride faster. Older bikes are not inherently more solid than new bikes. All bikes have parts that wear out and need replacing from time to time, that's just the way it is.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

What they all said. Tell the boyfriend to knock it off, go get yourself a shiny new LBS bike (and keep the Fuji for backup or whatever), and ride! There are plenty of ways to learn how to do your own maintenance, at the very least basics, like fixing a flat: Classes (check your LBS, or REI), books, online videos...

No, the new bike won't make you faster, but it will make riding more fun. And no, it won't break constantly if you buy quality. Heck, my bike is on the cheap end of road bikes, and things don't break--they need tweaking occasionally, but nothing's broken in three years (knock on wood!). Flats will happen, but it's not because of the tire width.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...