Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Gravel and dog bite

To disable ads, please log-in.

Took my first gravel road on the mountain goat this morning and it was awesome - until the end. The Jamis climbs like her namesake - especially with the 11-36 cassette!

Sadly I was bittenby a pit bull while I was riding. I did NOT stop and he kept chewing on my leg!!!! Thankfully it is all flesh wounds and no muscle. In ER getting it checked out. They are just updating my tetanus shot and cleaning it.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-14-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Wow. Luckily tis just a flesh wound! Sorry you were bitten. That really stinks... Did the owner even know what happened???

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Did you get rabies information on the dog? That's what would scare me. That really blows
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Oh, Catrin! That really s*cks! It's a wonder that you weren't more seriously injured considering the size & power of that dog. You probably saved yourself from additional injury by not stopping. Smart thinking, (& balance!), in a potential crisis situation.

I hope you're planning on reporting this to the authorities. The dog's owners need education on controlling an aggressive pet so that the dog never has an opportunity to attack you or anyone else again.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Sadly there are multiple wounds, she got me in 3 different places. I was too terrified to stop because if she was doing all that while I was pedaling - what would she do if I stopped! Maybe she would stop but maybe not!

The owner was right there shout no while I was screaming...I did report all of this to the local police and the officer was going to see if he could find the dog and owner. I learned that right before this happened, this same dog went after another dog that someone else was walking on a leash and apparently the owner of the pit bull mix did nothing to try and stop it.

That dog has no business being off of a leash! ER doctor didn't suggest a rabies vaccine for me, thouh a staff member did.

See, I DO go to the doctor

Catrin,

Dog needs to be quarantined for the next 10 days. You might want to contact the dog warden in your area or the health department.
    Marcie

Quote Originally Posted by makbike View Post
    Catrin,

Dog needs to be quarantined for the next 10 days. You might want to contact the dog warden in your area or the health department.
    Sadly I've no idea where the dog or owner lives. I did fill out a police report. The officer was going to look around the area. That is a small town so he has time to look. The location was a county gravel road and both I and the officer think he lives in the area. I agree the dog needs quarantined, but I am very glad I didn't stop.

Also glad, and surprised, that I didn't crash!
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-14-2011 at 10:17 AM.

(((catrin!))) That is so awful! Are you okay? You must be shaken up.

I'm glad you could outrun it! Good thing you've been riding so much. Says a lot for your progress. You're not a newbie anymore.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

If you can't locate the dog you really need to talk to your physician on Monday regarding rabies (not meant to scare you) and what you need to do to protect yourself from the possible transmission of the virus. Best scenario is they find the dog and quarantine it for 10 days to confirm it is not a carrier of the virus.
    Marcie

Oh my gosh, Catrin. Getting attacked by a dog while riding is one of my bigger fears. I'm glad you're relatively okay. I'm impressed that you didn't crash! Take Makbike's advice. I can't believe somebody would have a dog like that out without a leash. Irresponsible dog owner!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Oh, man. So glad you were able to get away! Hope they find the dog/owner and verify that it's had its shots. And make sure that nothing like that happens again.

I'm pretty sure the ER has to report a dog bite. They do in Ohio.

Last time I was bit by a dog while riding, it didn't even break the skin, but left a deep hematoma in my calf muscle that took months to clear. Take care of those wounds.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    (((catrin!)))

I hope they find that dog (and owner!) and that you feel better pronto. Wow, you didn't go down, I am so impressed. You are now a bicycle rock star!

Not to scare you as well but since they haven't located the dog I would get the rabies vaccine. In Texas it is common practice if the dog is not known to be vaccinated and not located to get the vaccine. Unfortunately I have seen from my vet friends it is unpleasant round of shots but the rabies virus is not one you can survive. In my area if they bite twice they are euthanized, it stinks but the owners obviously are not taking care of their responsibility and the dog is danger to to everyone.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Wow Catrin hope you heal fast and they find the dog (and the owner). I'm impressed that you could keep riding.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    HOLY MOLY!!!
    I can't imagine how bad it could have been if you'd fallen and that dog got on top of you. eeesh- horrid dog owner. I'm so sorry you were bitten. I hope you feel better soon and that it all heals up nicely.
    I hope they can find the dog, too. Better to be safe than sorry with the rabies.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike