Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iud

Iud

To disable ads, please log-in.

I will be 37 in a couple of weeks and have been thinking of changing birth control methods. I currently use nuva ring and have for many many years with any issue. I am considering changing to an IUD (haven't decided which one)

Anyone have any words of wisdom, advice or experience?
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

I had a mirena coil fitted after having dd (I was 42). It's fine, my periods are much much lighter and I don't have any discomfort. I did have several months of spotting after having it fitted though. I know plenty of women who have one and don't get any periods at all.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

I originally was leaning toward the copper IUD, because I was first attracted to the no hormones. But the heavier bleeding and cramping concern me about the copper. I've never had cramping and I really don't want to start now. I've also gotten used to not having periods because I usually just leave my nuva ring in for four weeks instead of three...so the possibility of no period with mirena is attractive as well.
    Mary

I went the other way - I had an IUD (copper t) for 10 years after having DD. I then switched to nuva ring and almost died as it caused me to have pulmonary emboli. So I am not a fan of nuva ring or anything else with hormones.

I loved the IUD. No problems with it, no cramping and no near death experiences.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

That is another reason I started looking into low or no hormone birthcontrol. Although I do not have any other risk factors, age is going to be more or a concern. What made you decide to switch from IUD to nuva ring?
    Mary

I used to sing praises about the copper IUD, but I'm kind of wanting it out now. I got the first one replaced last August, and I was told since I had one before, I shouldn't have heavy bleeding and such that I did when I got the first one in. Wrong. It was heavy and crampy for the first 3 periods like it was the first time I ever had an IUD. Once my period went on for like 3 weeks, just in time to have my next one! It's finally starting to settle down, but it still takes me a while to get to wearing white panties, if you know what I mean (sorry, TMI).

I was thinking maybe I should've tried Mirena, but I was bonkers on BC pills, so I shied away from hormones. That and the fact it's $300 if I didn't like it and only lasts 3 years. This will be my last IUD, I won't be getting another one when this one needs replacing (I'll be 45 anyways!)

Yeah, the more I started reading about the copper, the more I started leaning toward mirena. From what I read, it is just a minuscule amount of hormone. The bc pills rely on flushing your system with hormones and have them brought to your uterus via your bloodstream. Mirena actually dispenses it onsite and there is no detectable increase in hormones in your bloodstream (although you would think that would be the same case for nuva ring)
    Mary

I sang the praises of the copper for the longest time, assuming the heavy/painful periods would get easier. After 2 years, they have not, and it's coming out soon.

I DID have my teenager get a Mirena (better safe than sorry!) and she hasn't had any trouble in 6 months. I would consider it myself, but we're going to take permanent measures instead.
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Quote Originally Posted by abejita View Post
    What made you decide to switch from IUD to nuva ring?
    No particular reason. My IUD was 10 years old and it was technically time for a switch. I had taken birth control pills before, but the new "safe" low dose hormones are apparently worse.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I've been wondering the same thing. We have pretty much decided that we are not going to have children and I just want to stop taking hormone BC. At 38, I'm pretty sure my decision is final! I have been using Nuva Ring for years now. I like the convenience of it, and because my cycle is so wacky- I go months without a period. I wonder what life is like without added hormones- I wonder if I could actually lose weight...
    I would like to have surgery to tie the tubes, but I'm afraid of it not being 100% and then getting pregnant.

I don't know what to do...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Tri,
    would your husband consider a vasectomy? My ex had one and it was the best- DH is scheduled for a consult next week.

Another option is Essure (something I've considered) a less invasive method of female sterilization. If DH chickens out after watching a video on the vas procedure, I may go with this. I'm 37, and know I'm finished having kids.

Tri, look into the side effects of the surgery...for some people, it's far worse than continuing with what you're doing. You still can end up with drastic hormonal imbalances that can cause weight gain, headaches, hot flashes, etc.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I second the vasectomy suggestion.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I second the vasectomy suggestion.
    This is the first choice, absolutely!

I had the Mirena for 4 years (got it when I was 38) and finally had it removed about 1.5 years ago. I gained a LOT of weight while on it (~40 lbs) not because it actually caused me to gain or because it increased my appetite, but because it made it impossible for me to lose. I don't know exactly what happened and why it was different for me than for most (even my doctor is unsure and was doing additional research), but it sucked. Basically, no matter how little I ate and how hard I worked out, the weight would NOT budge. And since for me, maintaining my weight usually means gain a couple of lbs, lose a couple of lbs to stay 'even'...when the "lose a couple" part didn't work, I was on a steady gain pattern for 4 years. It was incredibly frustrating!

This same 4 years coincided with the first 4 years I started cycling and I was actually MORE active than I was prior...so it's not that I got suddenly sedentary.

The final straw was severe and debilitating lower back pain that started to build after year 3. It got so bad at the end that I could not unload the dishwasher. I had to squat to put on pants because bending over and lifting one leg was impossible for me. Sharp shooting pains and complete lower back weakness. I could not bend over and then lift myself up without using my arms to push or pull on something...it was that bad.

I got the IUD out and the back pain was gone within 2 weeks and I started losing weight again (when I finally started to try). My periods also returned in the first two months (I had zero periods while on it even though I could tell I was cycling by occasional mild cramps or skin changes). I'm now 43 and free of all hormones (my H had a vasectomy) and I feel FANTASTIC. My periods are regular for the first time in my life (I was all over the place before I stared the BCP at 21 years old).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom