Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did get out for not quite 5 yesterday. My quads were a little sore, I think it's from running on the slippery surface - using my muscles differently.

Now it's pouring snow...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

For those of you who run, do you find that it helps to balance out muscle weaknesses developed from cycling? I'm hoping that running will help balance out my glutes/hips/adductors some, as I find these are weaker from cycling.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Not the hips, no ... just like cycling, running all happens in the sagittal plane, and only in one direction. Weak hips can cause even more trouble for runners than they do for cyclists.

Targeted hip strengthening exercises, or yoga (or both).

What running brings that cycling doesn't is the weight bearing and impact, for strong bones.

ETA: if you wanted to add an aerobic sport to strengthen your hips, try board sports. Do NOT add a cutting sport (like soccer) until you've strengthened your hips - that's a very common way that women, especially, injure our knees (BTDT).
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 12-13-2010 at 07:46 AM.

I went for my first snowshoe run this season (and second snowshoe run ever). WOW, is that a workout!

I don't have running snowshoes, just plain snowshoes. They are women-specific, so they are a little narrower. I didn't have a problem running in them. I averaged about 13-14 minute miles. I'm going to try and do one snowshoe run a week--weather permitting.

Hey!

I will put a race report together soon, but I ran my first 50K saturday, and I was the first female It was challenging, but great!!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Wow! Kacie, you rock! Can't wait for the report!

I'm a wuss. I haven't even dared try to get the car out since the big snowfall, and there's certainly no running on the roads near me (even if I were motivated ... as much as my lungs hurt after my interval session last week, I'm wondering if I haven't gotten a bit of "regular" asthma in addition to the allergic type I've known about). Nothing to do but clean house. Ugh.

Congrats, skhill!

And congrats, Kacie! Can't wait for the race report!

I ran 4.65 miles with my husband yesterday. It was POURING on us and has been for days around here. Our normal route was a no go as it was totally flooded in one area, so we did an out and back instead. It was his first rain run and while I kept telling him that running in the rain was better than riding in the rain, I don't think he really believed me...until yesterday.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I have to take some time off from running My feet have really been hurting quite a bit since last Monday. Bummer...time for the spin bike now during the weekdays and skate skiing on the weekends. Happy running to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    I have to take some time off from running

Yeah, me too. I've decided not to run until January, most likely. I've been battling a touch of tendonitis since May, and want to heal it up once and for all!

I'm planning to get fat and happy between now and 1/1.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

I did 3 miles yesterday. It was so cold that I was wearing my summer running gear over and under my winter running gear and then my old winter trousers over my newer ones. Felt very padded but warm

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    I did 3 miles yesterday. It was so cold that I was wearing my summer running gear over and under my winter running gear and then my old winter trousers over my newer ones. Felt very padded but warm
    lol. That's how I felt when I went snowshoe running. I imagined I looked like a derranged Randy stumbling through the woods.
    Last edited by limewave; 12-22-2011 at 08:27 AM.

I was hoping that the weather forecast for this morning was all wrong, and it'd be decent running conditions. Well, the forecast was all wrong; instead of 10 F it was 2 F! So it was off to the treadmill at the Y. 6 miles, in 55:55-- faster than I meant to go, but all the tvs were tuned to ESPN...

Can't wait for the race report, Kacie! That's awesome!

It was ridiculously warm in Denver - just ran 3.5 miles (longest run since July, haha) and was way too hot in a light long-sleeved tech shirt and shorts. But I finally found a group that doesn't leave me in their dust!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Ran on Sunday, again today, with mah dawg. I love that moment where we're just on a whole different plane together, it's so basic. Run, run, run, breathe. Nothing major, probably 5k-5mi. I've been busy. Back on the bandwagon!

In celebration of finishing my last paper of the semester, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill. I am fighting a cold and it appears this wasn't the best idea. I managed to do it in 34 minutes and 6 seconds, just 6 seconds longer than my 5k race I did last June. I guess I was running faster, because I did take 2 walk breaks of a couple of minutes. I think there's something wrong with the calibration of my treadmill that shows speeds slightly less than what I think of as normal, i.e. 6 mph is showing as a 9.57 mm. Who knows.
    I then decided to do the Shiva Rea core workout with the 8 sets of 12 push ups. OK, as I was switching positions in the intervals, I felt a bit off, but I finished and did better than last time. Then I went to do a cool down video. As I went to move from stretching out on the stability ball, to standing, I felt dizzy, so I sat down. Of course, now I have yet to do the pigeon stretch which is what is keeping me OK with the running. So, other than the 2 cups of coffee, the Claritin, and the fact that it is fairly warm in the room where I work out at home (we have new energy saving windows that have made a huge difference in this room), not feeling that great to begin with, I think I did too much. .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport