Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,546

    Cross on a XC Bike?

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    There's a cyclocross race near us next weekend. It's pretty inexpensive. They have a kids race that DD might enjoy. I thought about checking it out, but I don't have a cross bike, just a ht cx bike. Would that be okay? And I know you have to get off and carry the bike at times, so do you have clipless pedals or platform pedals when you race?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,308
    I have been to the last 2 Kisscross races. People are on all sorts of bikes. Even some of the A race guys were on mountain bikes. There are a mix of hybrids, cross bikes, and mountain bikes. Most people have clipless, though a few have platforms.

    Which race are you doing? There's one last Kisscross race the Sunday after Thanksgiving. DH is planning to do that one. It will be his 3rd ever. Yesterday was his second and he had a blast (when he wasn't coughing up a lung). Someday I'd like to give it a try...once my left ankle is better healed, which I hope will eventually be the case.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I have been to the last 2 Kisscross races. People are on all sorts of bikes. Even some of the A race guys were on mountain bikes. There are a mix of hybrids, cross bikes, and mountain bikes. Most people have clipless, though a few have platforms.

    Which race are you doing? There's one last Kisscross race the Sunday after Thanksgiving. DH is planning to do that one. It will be his 3rd ever. Yesterday was his second and he had a blast (when he wasn't coughing up a lung). Someday I'd like to give it a try...once my left ankle is better healed, which I hope will eventually be the case.
    I think the one I'm looking at is the same one you're talking about. I have it on my radar, I won't be able to commit to it until that weekend. You know how it is with kids, I'm going to plan that I'm racing and get all prepared, so that if I actually carve out the time I'll be ready to do it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I think the one I'm looking at is the same one you're talking about. I have it on my radar, I won't be able to commit to it until that weekend. You know how it is with kids, I'm going to plan that I'm racing and get all prepared, so that if I actually carve out the time I'll be ready to do it
    Yup! The beauty of these races is how low-key they are...you show up, register, get some fun swag, then ride. We'll be there with the world's biggest cowbell.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Suburban MA and Western ME
    Posts
    1,822
    Don't be afraid to do a cx race on your MTB! I've been beaten by people on their mountain bikes in cross races... Keep your clipless pedals on for the race - you don't really want to use platforms. The biggest challenge will be in carrying the bike, but if it is reasonably light, you won't have a problem.

    Have FUN! Cross is supposed to be about fun, and it doesn't matter what you race on!

    SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Middle of the mitten
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    There's a cyclocross race near us next weekend. It's pretty inexpensive. They have a kids race that DD might enjoy. I thought about checking it out, but I don't have a cross bike, just a ht cx bike. Would that be okay? And I know you have to get off and carry the bike at times, so do you have clipless pedals or platform pedals when you race?
    MTB is fine for almost all cross races. Some events require you to remove bar ends but that's about it. Hybrid bikes would generally work too.

    Clipless pedals (as long as you're used to them)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    568
    Doooo it! Cross is about 2 things that I can think about: beer and cowbells. The beer helps you race and encourages you to ring the cowbell more. You just ride around in the mud for 45 minutes to keep the line at the beer tent shorter. These race organizers have thought of everything!

    On bikes, see the following:



    They even make flat bar cross bikes, clearly people like um and they work. I know some hardcore boys that ride rigid single speeds. I know a punk who built a Campy cross bike just to make old Tullio roll over in his grave. What matters is what you're comfortable on and whatcha got in the garage.

    Sure there's a contingent of cross racers who get all super serious about their gear and they're awesome and it's their primary focus so good on um. Then, there are who wouldn't mind winning but just wanna have fun. So long as you're in that group, rock the hardtail! With streamers in your handlebars! Or be like this dude:



    I wish I could find the pics from that race, there are more of him, one with a guy in a French maid costume giving him a funny look. Really, guy in a French maid costume?
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    portland, or
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfalicious View Post
    I wish I could find the pics from that race, there are more of him, one with a guy in a French maid costume giving him a funny look. Really, guy in a French maid costume?
    if it helps to search for 'em, that would've been from the Cross Crusade race in Astoria in 2008, if i'm not mistaken.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    568
    Score!




    See, run whatcha brought witha ya. Applies to bikes as well as it does rodeo.
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    340
    I don't know....those 8 year old little girls on the pink barbie bikes with pigtails kick my butt in 'cross!
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •