Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up I now wear a mirror when riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have always seen people wearing mirrors while riding their bikes and always thought "not me"....no way....so not cool.

NEVER AGAIN!!! I purchased a mirror on someone's advice for a trip out west -and I will never ever ride without a mirror if possible. I can't stress enough how much safer I felt on the road. I took it out once I got home and was AMAZED and how much more secure I felt while riding my normal routes - I never was a "nervous" rider - but now that I see what is going on behind me - maybe I should have been!

I don't care how "dorky" a mirror looks - I am a life long convert now. Even my racing leg-shaving hubby tried one and he will be wearing one regularly as well.

this is the mirror I tried - it mounts on my glasses and I did not notice any distortion - nor does it move around. It is very easy to adjust and does not interfere with your vision. It is less than $20 and could save your life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikemirror.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	11988
    "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet - only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired and success achieved" - Helen Keller

just remember that in addition to the mirror, you should always check back over your shoulder and or under your arm before doing anything. Like a car mirror, your mirror has blind spots, and a car can swing out suddenly unexpectedly so last thing before you do anything check back, check your mirror and check back again.

Saves everyone's nerves.

Welcome to the club of better safe than cool.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Glad you like your mirror. It looks like this one.

I love mine.

DH and I both have one of those and they work great. The Amish man at the bakery we ride to on Saturday mornings was fascinated with it and wanted one for himself.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Thanks for telling us about the increased safety you feel when using a mirror. I've never ridden with one but I shall definitely rethink my choices.

Thumbs up

It's nice to see how, the longer one rides, the less concerned one becomes about how "cool" they look to others.

Safety, comfort and practicality trumps cool, everytime. IMHO.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Any tips for getting used to helmet or glasses mirrors? I've tried mirrors on the bike, and found that they moved too much to be useful. But - when I tried my DH's helmet mirror, I got very sea sick. It was odd - but I've been hesitant to try again. Is it just an adjustment thing? I could care less what others think - but I've got to find a mirror that works.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I have a helmet mirror and I would never ride without it! I love it so much that sometimes I wish I could have one on all the time...like when I'm out on walks. I don't care if it looks dorky...and mine looks especially dorky because I have duct tape on my helmet to hold it on securely. But my helmet it silver and white so the tape sort of blends in

As far as getting it adjusted just right, that can be a challenge. Mine has two places where it can swivel and move...I put a drop of Gatorade on those periodically to keep them sticky so it will hold its adjustment and not move around every time I hit a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Any tips for getting used to helmet or glasses mirrors? I've tried mirrors on the bike, and found that they moved too much to be useful. But - when I tried my DH's helmet mirror, I got very sea sick. It was odd - but I've been hesitant to try again. Is it just an adjustment thing?
    Yes. It is an adjustment thing, and for me it was a big one. I used to say I had to grow new brain cells to use the mirror.

Just keep practicing. Adjusting it before you leave home helps. I figured out some "landmarks" in my house that meant it was perfectly adjusted -- for example, if I'm standing at Point A, I should be able to see Point B in the mirror.

I have a bar end mirror on my left side, like this:

I must say that now I feel kinda naked when I run on the roads or MUP and can't see what's coming up behind me.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I have a bar-end mirror on my beloved steel steed. I wouldn't cycle without it!

I have a bar end too. I should like to try the helmet type but I honestly haven't tried it b/c it seems too tricky!
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

I have straight bars, so bar end wouldn't work.

I was going to ask if the ones that fit on the bike itself works, but blueberry alluded to it not. Anyone else with experience with mirror on bike? If not, I'll try the helmet mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I have straight bars, so bar end wouldn't work.

I was going to ask if the ones that fit on the bike itself works, but blueberry alluded to it not. Anyone else with experience with mirror on bike? If not, I'll try the helmet mirror.

There are some models that will work on straight bars. Look here for some ideas.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

One of the tricks for "learning" to see in those small mirrors, is to look at the image, not at the mirror. I always used bike mount mirrors when I rode an upright, I wasn't coordinated enough to just turn my head to look backwards - the whole bike moved left - not safe. The shorter the post it's on, the less image distortion because of vibrating.

When riding a recumbent, you really can't turn around to look behind you. A mirror makes riding so much nicer. I've tried both helmet and glasses mount and found I prefer glasses mount. You swivel your head from side-to-side to see behind you. I've ridden with a mirror since I started in the mid 90's - I won't ride without one. Safety far outweighs dorkiness factor.
    Edna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EdnaandConchi.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	11997