Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

7 month progress

To disable ads, please log-in.

I decided last night that I am not quite ready for the brevet next month that I wanted to ride - especially since they really changed the route. I was a little down about that because I really wanted to do it - I love challenges and it is hard to move it back until next year but that seems the wisest thing to do. However a LOT of good things have happened since I first stepped on the bike on December 10th

I learned how to ride a bike
    I learned how to ride a bike without falling over
    I can hold a steady pace for hours - up to 5-6 hours at this point
    (ok, so it isn't a very fast pace but this is my first season)
    I've lost 50 pounds

6 months ago I was finally able to leave my training parking lot, had a failed experiment with clipless pedals....but now I am riding clipless!

You know, I have a LOT to celebrate - not the least of which is...

I learned how to ride a bike!

You know, after dinner, even if it is HOT as all get-out, I am going to take my bike to my favorite park and ride - even if it is for only 45 minutes

This is awesome!

That's very inspiring! Well done
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

way to go! That is a huge accomplishment
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

That's greats! Like Hebe I found it inspiring. Well done with it all. Were you dieting to lose the 50lbs or is that just a result of cycling?

Quote Originally Posted by stella2 View Post
    That's greats! Like Hebe I found it inspiring. Well done with it all. Were you dieting to lose the 50lbs or is that just a result of cycling?
    I have a very strict and rather unexciting diet - the cycling started out as my anti-diabetic campaign. While that failed, I now have diabetes (managing by diet/exercise) the biking became far more than an activity for health. I also work with a trainer for strength training twice a week and take 1-2 spinning classes weekly (more in the winter).

With no thyroid or a reproductive system I generally must work harder than the average bear, but it has worked for me Now I am focusing on becoming more lean - my weight is at a point that I am happy with - just need to work on that body composition and if I happen to lose more weight that is fine

Yay C! You deserve to be proud.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Hooray, Catrin!!! Congrats on all your accomplishments!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

You had a tremendous first year. Do another recap at the end of December, if the weather in your region will permit you to do any winter cycling.

I also think you are very smart to be flexible with your fitness goals. A cycling fitness goal doesn't have to be about distance. The accomplishments you listed are all admirable goals, particularly the improvement in your health. But I think the lesson you learned is that the real achievement comes through the training for a specific goal, that the training brings about all sorts of results that are even more significant than the final goal itself.

Catrin, have you thought about your cycling fitness goals for 2011 yet? For example, I am thinking ahead to next year and I think I will try to tackle routes with some higher category climbs on them than I've done so far, so that I increase the number of climbs in each category level that I'm able to ride. The distance of the ride won't be part of the goal, just the category of each climb, so increase the number of category 5, category 4, etc. When I am cycling a nasty climb, they all feel like a category 1 when I am pedaling up, but in reality the climbs were only a category 5 or 4 and a few 3s. So I will increase the quantity of climbs in each category and push to see if I can do a category 2. This is the time for you to start thinking about what you hope to achieve in 2011.

inspirational! congratulations you do indeed have much to be proud of!

Wow...you done good, girl! That weight loss is especially impressive. Wosers!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Fantastic. And very inspiring!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Thanks for the encouragement, I was being a little hard on myself for deciding against the brevet this fall - but the goal of all of this is to have fun, challenge myself, and get/keep healthy.

It is a good idea to consider challenges for next year - it is almost October The first time I've been sad to see the hot season fade away. I didn't mind getting out in the cold weather last winter - but of course I was limited to parking lots and short sessions - though they did not seem short to me

I would like to do a couple of brevets and permenants next year, and if I can swing the expense, would love to do RAGBRAI It isn't the registration fee - which isn't bad, it is all of the other costs involved. Would like to get a little faster, and at least get closer to unleashing my inner hill-climbing beast

Oh, and forgive my extensive use of emoticons - I really can't help myself
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-24-2010 at 04:29 AM.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celebrating your accomplishments with you! 50 pounds, wow! And riding a bike ... isn't that the BEST?!!!

Keep it up. For me, the faster I go, the more fun it gets. But that might just be me. But if you DO want to get faster ... you will. I love looking back at previous rides and seeing what huge improvements I've made. I remember climbing on a club ride and getting passed by "everyone", which was mostly guys ... but then a woman went by me pretty quickly. My first thought was, "I hate her!". But then I thought, "No ... I don't hate her. I am inspired by her. I am going to BE her!" And now ... I'd say I climb that same route at least at the speed she did it that day. So, in essence, I AM her now!!! Hee hee!
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

Smile

Catrin, I am so very pleased for you, I absolutely love reading people's stories like this, in fact I even just read your story out to my partner.

My story like many others is similar but I am starting over again and it's still an exciting time.

Well done you, absolutely fabulous...........or Ab Fab!

Clock
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'