Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Your city buses with bike racks?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do your local transit buses have bike racks? In Canada, it's pretty recent. Only in last few years Metro Vancouver had all of their buses outfitted with bike racks. To my understanding many British Columbian municipalities are getting bike racks on their local buses also.

Here's ours:

Toronto is slowly getting their buses with bike racks. Think they started about 2 yrs. ago. or so.

I am aware that Seattle, Portland (?), etc. buses have them.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 08-12-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Milwaukee County added racks a while back. It was quite the political mess.

Due to grant money, the county had to come up only 10% of the money to install the racks. 90% of the cost was "found money". For the $40K that the county needed to pay, the county supervisor vetoed the installation of the bike racks.

Needless to say the county board overruled the veto and now the buses have racks. And they're being used. Perhaps not as much as Mr Anti-Bike Supervisor would like, but they are used.

They have them in Boston, too. I am not sure how many of the buses have them, but my son has used them quite a few times when it was raining hard or thundering and he didn't want to commute home from work.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We have them in Austin. All of the regular city buses take two bikes. They get used a lot; seeing a bus without a bike on the front is increasingly rare.

A few of the express commuter buses are the big coach/touring types and don't have racks, so the driver gets out and opens the cargo bay below and you stick your bike in there. It's OK if you're not too worried about wear and tear from the bike sliding around a bit.

We just got commuter train with bike hooks last March and I hear that they have lots of bicycle traffic from cyclists taking the train out to the suburbs for rides in the countryside. I'm on vacation next week and might have to do that myself!

We have them in lower slower Sussex County. BUT we only have bus service from mid-May to mid-Sept. Fat lot of good that does.

Dallas has racks on some buses too...and I've even seen them being used!
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

ours have racks for 2 bikes. They do get used, butI've never used them. (i was only on our buses twice in my life and it was on the same day.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Here in the South Metro area of Denver, we have them. And you can take them on the light rail, too.
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

A few of the lines and buses here in Ames have them, though I haven't used them. They do give me some peace of mind though, if I ever flatted on the way to work I could just get on the bus with my bike and fix it later.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Cleveland's buses have racks for two bikes. You can also take them on the train during off-peak hours.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

There is a 2-bike rack on every city bus in Tucson, AZ, and I never count on being able to use one because they're so often full!
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

Every bus in Indianapolis has two bike racks up front and they get used!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Good to know all this. Any more locations?
    There is something that North America DOES do better in terms of cycling infrastructure: that's bike racks on local buses.

Seriously. We were in some cycling-intensive European cities and there were hardly any or none. But then some of the cities use streetcars more heavily than buses. Still buses are used in their areas out in the 'burbs for some cities.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Went to Durham, NC (little over an hour from where I live) to a ballgame the other day, and saw the first bus I've ever seen with a bike rack on the front! I live in a small town that doesn't have buses. LOL I thought it was pretty cool!

Think Richmond, VA has some buses with bike racks.