Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning wipes?

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Cleaning wipes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey all.
    My work bike team (i.e., me and a few others) are hosting a "Fix a flat" learning session at lunch next week. We'll have a few bikes (and wheels) and pumps, patch kits, CO2, etc. to go over the basics of repairing a flat tire.
    But...I imagine folks will get dirty and not want to go back to the office with greasy, filthy, hands.
    So, I wanted to get some handi-wipes or some such for folks to use to clean up afterward. Any special brand you find to be effective (we'll be in a conference room with limited water access, so it will ideally be wipes)? Should I get a case of gloves for folks to use?
    Thoughts? Thanks!

Gloves. Wipes are great for getting the bulk of it off on the road, but they're not going to get anyone presentable enough to go back to work.

A box of 50 disposable/reusable nitrile gloves is under $10.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Gloves. Wipes are great for getting the bulk of it off on the road, but they're not going to get anyone presentable enough to go back to work.

A box of 50 disposable/reusable nitrile gloves is under $10.
    Yeah..that's what I was thinking.
    Where does one get gloves? Would your basic corner chain drugstore have them?

Drugstore, maybe even pharmacy area of local grocery store would have the disposable latex gloves. Home Depot or Lowes would have bags of 40 gloves if you don't want 100. I keep a pair in a baggie with each spare innertube along with a wet-nap thingy in my seat pack. Doesn't really take up any additional room. For your class you might bring a bottle of hand cleaner - I think it's called Gojo or something like that. Comes in orange bottle. It also works on clothes if you get grease on them.

Do not get latex gloves. Someone could be allergic to latex.

I use Wet Ones to clean up after a ride and after working on my bike. They work great for me, and a little extra scrubbing gets the grease off.
    Last edited by ny biker; 06-11-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Vinyl gloves are easy to find at most grocery stores and pharmacies. +1 to "no latex"!

+1 to no latex, and anyway nitrile is resistant to a wider variety of the solvents that you use in your garage. That's why I said nitrile.

Pretty sure the drugstores have them, but I usually get mine in the paint or cleaning department of the home improvement store.

What you don't use in the workshop you can use at home. Solvents and lubricants are full of nasties that get absorbed through your skin. I hardly do any work on the bici or moto any more, without nitrile gloves.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

+1 on GoJo for cleaning up grease off of hands. I think they make a wipe, too.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Solvents and lubricants are full of nasties that get absorbed through your skin. I hardly do any work on the bici or moto any more, without nitrile gloves.
    I need to stop cleaning my greasy hands with WD-40. But it works so well and I love the smell of it. However, cancer or whatever else I might get from doing this is not worth it. I am gonna get some nitrile gloves.

One of the guys who sometimes does the Sunday shop ride suggested sunscreen to clean off the bike grease. It actually works really well.

Well, thanks for the recommendations!
    I picked up a box of Nitrile gloves from CVS across the street.
    They worked great. I was worried that they would tear and not be strong enough for the task, but they held up just fine. We never even opened the container of Handi-wipes I got. Jim, the guy leading the talk, had a HUGE cask of GoJo, but we never even used it. Well, maybe he did. He didn't wear the gloves and his hands were filthy!

Quote Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
    I need to stop cleaning my greasy hands with WD-40. But it works so well and I love the smell of it. However, cancer or whatever else I might get from doing this is not worth it. I am gonna get some nitrile gloves.
    I like the smell too, in a weird sort of way. Maybe more fond of it than like. It reminds me of summers in my Dad's workshop.
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

I'd always come back from lab with a supply of the blue nitrile gloves in my pockets. I kept them for exactly that purpose. Doesn't help you, though.
    (It helped that I was the only one in the lab that wore medium gloves...)

On the topic of liking solvent smells...my research advisor likes the smell of chloroform. Odd character, him...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
    You know, that foamy glass cleaner in a spray can works good for cleaning your hands too. I keep one right next to my bike stuff for just that purpose. Doesn't smell as good as WD40 though.

Mayonnaise handcleaner

I've used mayonnaise as a hand cleaner - it's greasy and works pretty much like those industrial hand cleaners but without all the nasty volatile organics that are bad for your liver and your immune system. Of course, just as with those, you do need to wash your hands to get rid of the greasing feeling.

Nitrile gloves are a great idea, but sometimes you need the dexterity that naked fingers provide.

Remember to not put your oily rags in the trash - it's a recipe for spontaneous combustion (i.e., a fire!).