Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tips and/or tricks for stubborn tires???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sooo I felt like a complete retard not being able to put on my new duro tires onto my bike without popping the tubes...

Dragged the things down to the shop, where, to my surprise, the boys beat my record of 2 broken tire levers into 3, and 2 guys spent 30 minutes getting one tire onto the rim. Now I don't feel so bad They even thought it might be a 27 inch rim, but no, the rim was 700 and so was the tire. lol! Both they and I were pretty much shocked. They said they'd never seen anything like it before. Surprisingly I can't find them for sale anywhere right now...

Bad EBD with the brand, they said. The beads are really poorly measured I guess. Ehh they're 2 tires for 30 bux with awesome brightly colored sidewalls in a plethora of color options. And very heavy/durable which in my mind is a plus for urban environments.

So god only knows how, but I apparently somehow managed to get the other one on after an hour or so of gentle coaxing like they showed me and also a bit of doing the exact thing they told me NOT to do, forcing it on with the tire lever.

They showed me the dish soap trick, and also the massaging and doing opposite sides thing, but it's just not working for me. Esspecially the massage/opposite sides thing. He just sort of sprinkled magic dust on it in my mind because it went WAY over my head.

Any time I change a tight new tire I have to resort to forcing that final edge on with the tire lever, usually popping the tube at the precise moment I finish.

I'm fine with the old stretched out tires, just the new ones that are really tight are my problem. Are there any other tricks you guys know of to avoid resorting to the whole force-it-and-hope-you-didn't-pop-it system?
    Last edited by IvonaDestroi; 01-22-2010 at 11:17 PM.

oh wait found them in a 27... guess the guy stopped selling the 700c ones for a reason I wonder if the 27's would fit a 700 rim better... price went way up too... I paid 20 bux less for my pair. Hmmm I guess you get what you pay for

here they are on e bay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/27X1-1-4-COLOR-W...item2c52c74fe7

Get thee a bead jack:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire.../dp/B001AYML7K

Silly looking tool, but works like a charm on tough new tires. I've never figured out the trick. On the road, I have a VAR Tyre lever. Some day that is going to break and I'm going to be in trouble.

But, for changing tires at home, the Kool Stop bead jack works like a charm even on tire/rim combinations that the bike shop said would be a PITA to install.

What a timely thread. Just yesterday I spent two hours stuffing around with a Conti Gatorskin. I just couldn't get the &^($ thing on. Thumbs, tyre levers, cursing, screaming etc. It was all I could do to even get the first bead on!

I finally succeeded by using tyre levers and "walking" the tyre onto the rim, praying I wouldn't trap the tube and cause a pinch flat. Far out. It was only the thought of having to take it to the shop, complete with wounded pride, that stopped me from giving up. Also, I wanted to have a ride this morning, and by the time I was ready to throw in the towel, it was just past 5pm.. so no chance of anywhere being open anyway.

I really like the idea of some superduper tool to get the tyre onto the rim. Thanks for the heads-up, Thorn!!!

Max

This thread makes me feel better. I am practicing the process of changing an inner tube - and the process has been pretty simple, until I got to the step of getting the last 6 inches of the tire back on the rim... I don't want to risk puncturing my tube so am trying to avoid reaching for the tire lever to force it back on - but my fingers aren't that strong. I guess I will go back to working with it some more...

The tool looks pretty cool - Thorn thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Oooo that's exactly what I need! No longer must I be terrified of getting a flat on those duros... thanks!

I had to give up on some new wheels with narrow rims. The guys at the shop had a tough time too.

I just read a tip in Bicycling magazine... put the new tire in the clothes dryer on low for a few minutes. The heat will soften the rubber and make it easier to get on the rim. I haven't tried this, but I might the next time I change tires.

However I don't have the tool yet, and have been trying to get the last bit of this tire on for the last hour.... oh well... perhaps this will make my fingers stronger if I keep trying

edited - I DID IT! After 2 hours of playing with that *&%( tire, I got it on and without tools I am STILL going to get that tool though...
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-24-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: To crow with success :)

Quote Originally Posted by IvonaDestroi View Post
    Oooo that's exactly what I need! No longer must I be terrified of getting a flat on those duros... thanks!
    Panaracer Duros? Yep, that's the tire. I've installed 2 sets of new ones. No problems. Enjoy you new found power.

Get thee a bead jack:

Silly looking tool, but works like a charm on tough new tires. I've never figured out the trick. On the road, I have a VAR Tyre lever. Some day that is going to break and I'm going to be in trouble.

But, for changing tires at home, the Kool Stop bead jack works like a charm even on tire/rim combinations that the bike shop said would be a PITA to install.
    Is it possible that this tool can be kept on the bike, or is it just too large? My hands have a touch of arthritis...

If you have a rack bag. It is just a skosh too long to fit in a saddle bag.

If you are in Europe, the VAR Tyre lever works well on the road and is small enough for a saddle bag. But I haven't seen them from a US-based web site in years. (e.g., http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-V...-Lever-903.htm ). To order one from overseas you'd pay more in shipping than the lever itself.

If you have a rack bag. It is just a skosh too long to fit in a saddle bag.

If you are in Europe, the VAR Tyre lever works well on the road and is small enough for a saddle bag. But I haven't seen them from a US-based web site in years. (e.g., http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-V...-Lever-903.htm ). To order one from overseas you'd pay more in shipping than the lever itself.
    Oh well, it was worth the question. Pity that the VAR Tyre Lever isn't available here but that is how things go sometimes. Thanks!

Get thee a bead jack:

I got one of a those couple of summer ago -- it's great. I bring it with me on most rides now. The only time I leave it home is on organized rides with SAG support, and even then sometimes I bring it along. It's very light and it fit nicely in my old handlebar bag. Since retiring the handlebar bag last year, I usually attach it to the bottom of my seat wedge by sliding it in the elastic band that is part of the bag, although I had to add an additional elastic band around it to keep it from falling out when I hit a big bump. (It fits easily in a jersey pocket too, I just don't like having stuff in my jersey pocket.)

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Oh well, it was worth the question. Pity that the VAR Tyre Lever isn't available here but that is how things go sometimes. Thanks!
    SJS ship overseas. In fact, I just ordered one of the VAR levers yesterday. $30 AUD delivered to the land of Oz. That sounds like a lot for a tyre lever, and it is. But I'd rather spend the dollars and not have to waste another two hours of my life. The VAR levers will be for my saddle bag. I'm also going to order the Koolstop bead jack from Amazon. Inexplicably, they won't deliver it to Australia. So I'm having it sent to my dad in Illinois, and he'll send it on to me. So whether I'm at home, or on the road, I need never struggle with my #*^#%$ Gatorskin again!!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    I had to give up on some new wheels with narrow rims. The guys at the shop had a tough time too.

I just read a tip in Bicycling magazine... put the new tire in the clothes dryer on low for a few minutes. The heat will soften the rubber and make it easier to get on the rim. I haven't tried this, but I might the next time I change tires.
    hmmm let me know how it turns out... sounds melty... and what would my nieghbors think? lol!