Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Moose

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone have any experience with game?

A co-worker is a hunter and bagged a moose. Various pieces were in the freezer (professionally butchered) for the taking. I took home a package with a half dozen small medallions, labelled "outterloin/backstrap".

I had venison once and I think elk. Never moose.
    Any ideas what I should do with it??
    Any special prep needed?
    Should I have taken the package labelled "hamburger" instead???

My in laws live in Maine and my father in law has hunted moose. I've cooked it a couple of times. Moose is extremely lean so you have to treat it carefully or it will get totally dried out and tough. Grinding it up and mixing it with another meat is certainly not a bad idea -especially if you want to attempt patties, meatballs or meatloaf. Moose doesn't have enough fat to stick to itself uncut. I made chili out of straight up ground moose that wasn't bad.

He also gave us some venison - pretty dry too. I marinated it in wine and baking soda after pounding it with a tenderizing mallet. I believe I pan fried it with some mushrooms - kind of like deer marsala.... I seem to remember it was pretty good and tender.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Moose is extremely lean so you have to treat it carefully or it will get totally dried out and tough. Grinding it up and mixing it with another meat is certainly not a bad idea -especially if you want to attempt patties, meatballs or meatloaf. Moose doesn't have enough fat to stick to itself uncut. I made chili out of straight up ground moose that wasn't bad.
    Unlike farmed animals like bison which are raised on ranch, one wonders these days those who do hunt wild things like moose.

Anyway, I'm not a vegetarian.

Moose sounds as lean as bison which makes it a healthy red meat. (We buy from a rancher in Alberta.) My partner's son invented a cool recipe which is not written down anywhere but we've used several times. The bison is marinated in a good amount of liquid mixture which has water, some soy sauce, maple syrup, honey, balsamic vinegar, smashed minced ginger root, garlic and thyme. I can't remember whatever else. Make sure all of the meat is immersed. Marinated for 24 hrs. to tenderize. Then it is carefully panfried at medium heat with onions, garlic so it's not overcooked. Otherwise it gets tough. Marinade looks like alot of stuff but then my partner makes this dish and likes to be creative with his marinades. It is delicious and elegant to have.

Lovely with wild rice or brown rice on side. Or roasted veggies.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-14-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

anything is good in tomato sauce.
    But tenderloin medallions, I'd barbeque those little darlings. if it's tough, bread and then brown it, then simmer in broth for an hour..

It's probably closer to Elk than Venison.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    . . . one wonders these days those who do hunt wild things like moose.
    You are joking, aren't you?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Unlike farmed animals like bison which are raised on ranch, one wonders these days those who do hunt wild things like moose.
    I'd rather see game animals hunted to manage population than allowed to run amok and starve to death.

Every year, DH and I get a deer from a friend who hunts. We get a phone call telling us when to pick it up from the butcher shop

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    You are joking, aren't you?
    I guess I personally don't know any hunters, except for a few who fish. For 10 years my dearie raised cattle (for meat), some pigs and chickens --a life prior to his cycling passion now. Latter 2 animals was for family only.

Agree that wild need to be managed.

Just a passing comment, Sadie. Would you have said this to someone who made same comment but was vegetarian? For past few years, I eat meat but alot less..1-2 times per wk. A trend partially out of laziness and also cost-savings.

Sure I'll try a broad range of meat. But probably wouldn't eat much overall as part of regular diet.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-14-2010 at 04:43 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

a coworker of mine hunts for bullwinkle every year. He says it's much less gamey than bambi. He's offered me some, but I'm not a huge meat person so I declined.

Just a passing comment, Sadie. Would you have said this to someone who made same comment but was vegetarian? For past few years, I eat meat but alot less..1-2 times per wk. A trend partially out of laziness and also cost-savings.
    I truly couldn't figure out your comment! And yes, I'd say it to a vegetarian. I have vegetarian friends who know that wild populations must be managed. We've killed off the predators and provided lots of tasty food (golf courses, urban gardens, alfalfa fields, etc.)
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    a coworker of mine hunts for bullwinkle every year. He says it's much less gamey than bambi. He's offered me some, but I'm not a huge meat person so I declined.
    I took the package more out of curiosity. DH doesn't share my culinary curiosity on this one.

Please...I don't want to see this become an ethical debate. I am just looking for ideas. Thanks.

My cousin has a hunting lodge in BC and he hunts moose a lot. I know he's given some of the meat to my brothers but I've never had any. If he were one of the fam online, I'd email him and ask how he prepares it. But he is not. I'll ask his brother if he knows though. I'm not sure my brothers ever ate it. Probably still in their freezers.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Growing up in Newfoundland, we ate moose every year in season, we always knew someone who had a moose license and gave us some steaks. It was really good, my dad always managed to cook the steaks very tender and juicy - I wish I knew his secret, he could make beef liver taste wonderful. He would fry it up on a very hot cast iron frying pan and serve with fried onions. Very good - have not had it for years. Bon apetit!
    Get on your bikes and ride!
    'Bicycle Race' -Queen

I'd ask Chef Google, and pick something that sounded good.

I ate roadkill moose in northern Maine once. It was quite good. According to the locals, Canadians come down and drive too fast and often hit a moose, then the locals run out and cut it up and freeze it before it has a chance to go bad. Waste not...
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Wait a minute, I thought it was always the " 'assachusetts" drivers that took care of the speeding in NH and ME.