Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Kona Dew or Jamis Coda

To disable ads, please log-in.

I would like to get a new commuter, a flat bar road bike. I like the Trek FX 7.3 and the Specialized FCR(I think its called a Dash now). Is the Kona Dew and Jamis Coda also in this catagory?
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

The Kona Dew is in that category. I liked the Dews because they had disc brakes, a good idea if commuting in sketchy weather.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

"Are the Kona Dew and Jamis Coda also in this category?"

I had a Dew. (with regular brakes)
    I loved it. Sometimes I still miss it.
    The road buzz from the aluminum drove me nuts. Some folks can feel it, some can't. YMMV. I love my steel Surly Cross Check with a burning passion. I love my steel Kona Smoke with a softer passion of a different sort.

Try a Kona Smoke while you're at it (similar price range) and don't forget the difference you can get from changing the tires...

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=smoke She's sexy, she comes with fenders, she's easy to upgrade, she's sturdy and willing and under $400 and you know you want her...
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 01-10-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have a Coda, which is used for "around town" riding, though I have ridden it 50 miles on a rail trail. I bought it because it comes in a ws version and has the low gearing I need to get up my driveway. Most commuting bikes I looked at did not have this particular combination of things. Plus, it was cheap!
    I love riding this bike, but as I have said before, it is very heavy. This makes it pretty stable for carrying loads from the farmer's market or other places, but let's just say I never look at my average speed when I ride it. My road bike is extraordinarily lights at 15 lbs. and I am small, so the difference feels pretty big to me. Still, I wouldn't trade my Coda for the world.

I commute daily on my Dew Deluxe. I love it! YMMV. It didn't feel as upright as most hybrids. I have been grateful for the disc brakes on more than one occasion.

Deb

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I love my Jamis Coda. It was my commuting bike in Washington DC for years. It is very smooth and supple. I will soon be changing out the bars to drop bars since I have injured my wrist and the flat bars are not comfortable for me. I'm excited to have this work done because it will allow me to ride the bike again. I plan on taking it on a multi-day C&O canal tour later this year. I will put knobby 'cross tires on for that ride.

I also love my Coda. If you want to spend the $$ they have a model with disk brakes.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Go steel. Aluminum buzz sucks.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Codas are steel...

Smokes are steel...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Steel is real ....
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/