Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmmm Should I Sell It?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband bought me a new bike in July which I enjoy riding, not the one I am debating selling! The problem is my old hardtail is sitting around collecting dust. At first I thought I had to keep it because what if my full suspension was in the shop. But really I don't see that being an issue much at all. My LBS is very fast and have rentals if I was really desperate. The money from selling my hardtail wouldn't hurt and I just think someone could possibly learn the sport on her like I did. I just am sentimental because she was my first mountain bike.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    My husband bought me a new bike in July which I enjoy riding, not the one I am debating selling! The problem is my old hardtail is sitting around collecting dust. At first I thought I had to keep it because what if my full suspension was in the shop. But really I don't see that being an issue much at all. My LBS is very fast and have rentals if I was really desperate. The money from selling my hardtail wouldn't hurt and I just think someone could possibly learn the sport on her like I did. I just am sentimental because she was my first mountain bike.
    I must admit I felt the same way. I thought about it and decided to turn my Kona into a "sometime commute bike" and all around hack. I bought a cheapie pair of wheels and put slicks on them and it's been great for bikepath duty, spare bike when somebody comes to stay and wants to come along for a ride (although its very pinkness might have been a little bit confronting for our middle-aged male Canadian friend) and running between meetings in the city (our buildings all have bike parking).

Of course it has also been back to the forest. I went down to get the bike onto the car for the next morning's ride only to find the full suspension had worn through its front brake pads (and on another occasion had a broken spoke I hadn't found) and could not be ridden the next morning. I didn't want to ruin the ride with my friend so put the knobblies back onto the Kona and found out how many bad habits I have now I am riding FS! My bike shop is not too slow, but I don't know any bike shop that will fix it at midnight for the next morning!

On the other hand, if you can use the money and are not so hellbent on not missing a ride, and you can do without it.....

What about using it as a rain/bad weather bike?

Geez, I probably shouldn't respond, given the number of bikes that I own/ride!!

See here is the thing to both responses. I don't live near bike paths or in a commuting area. Our trails can't handle rain riding so mountain biking is usually out if for 48 hours if we get substantial rain. I would like a cyclocross bike for nastier road riding but I am struggling to find a use for my little Tess. I would feel good if someone used her to develop a love for dirt, I feel a little bad she just sits cast off because she was a faithful companion. I did consider keeping her for a vacation bike so I don't take my expensive one to stay in hotels. That is the only thing I have come up with.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

It took me a few years to sell my road bike that I had for about 8 years. It was an awesome bike and I loved the colors on it but I had not ridden it in about 2 years as I have a new cross bike that I love and of course I just bought a new mtn bike this past spring. I convinced myself that it was tme for someone else to enjoy my bike. The person who bought it was very excited and was planning on using it for tris. I actually ended up selling 2 bikes, my road bike and an old mtn bike from the early 90s.

I've had a few full squish come and go - but I still have my very first mtb - hardtail rockhopper. I haven't ridden it in YEARS but for some reason I feel I need to keep it. Kinda silly but it's not really worth anything either.

So keep it if you want it. you'll know when it's time to sell it!

My early 90's Rock Hopper is hanging from the ceiling of my garage. My husband donated his earlier 90's Giant last summer. I plan to do the same with her.
    It will be tough because she holds memories of years of baby seat service. So did the Giant but I don't think it crossed my husbands mind when he gave the okay to take it away.

My husband wants me to keep it for sentimental attachment. I want to sell her to contribute to the extensive dental work I need. But he says I could get $200 for it (max) and that doesn't really scratch the surface of the bill we are facing. So I am still on the fence.
    Amanda

I say keep her for now. You're in serious pain (hugs, by the way - no real advice to offer), and perhaps not in the best frame of mind to make a decision. You can always sell her later if you decide you're sure, but you can't get her back if you wish you hadn't sold her...

CA (of course, this could be why I have so many bikes...)
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Sell it!!!

Make that down payment. Your health is not worth the sentimental value.
    That goes for financial health too.
    Left untreated, this dental issue could become a serious medical issue.

Sorry to be such a killjoy, but you have many more good reasons to sell than the one mediocre reason to keep.

I wish I had kept my last road bike. I was going to turn it into a cold weather bike, with fenders, wider tires, etc. Instead, I traded it in on my Kuota, and since I got a good price ($1,000), I didn't complain then. But, I think I would have been better off using this as an around town bike, instead of my Jamis, which is heavy and has flat bars. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jamis, because it is used for "fun" riding, but if I had to do it again, I would have bought more of a touring type of bike for a second bike.

On the fence

That's a tough one -- after I bought my first FSR bike, I kept my classic Stumpjumper HT and converted it for off-season road riding, then never rode it (I hate riding on the road). I finally sold that one when I really needed the cash & space. I recently sold my first FSR to pay for my new custom-built FSR bike. Now I only have one bike and I find myself looking at "back-up" bikes!! I would really like a second bike. I don't want to take my super expensive bike on car trips w/ the kids & I miss it terribly when it is in the shop even for a day or two.

If it has only sentimental (but no practical) value to you, I'd sell it to get some extra cash now, then save up for your off-season cyclocross bike later on. If you can really use it as a back-up, then keep it.

My parents were able to give me a loan for the teeth, so right now I am going to keep Tess. I really hoped to make her a project bike, so I could learn to do some of my own repairs. I may decide again to sell her but right now I don't want to be motivated by stress over the dental bills.
    Amanda

Yeah parents! Glad you can have a little breathing room, and hopefully some pain relief.

Hugs!
    Deb

Good luck with your dental work. Doesn't sound like fun, but sounds important to get it done.
    I know you've already decided to keep your bike, but I'll throw in my two cents' worth anyway. (My SO and I have a ridiculous collection of sports toys, so I am not here to judge!) But my rule about gear is the same as that rule they always talk about for clothes: If you haven't worn it/used it for a year, get rid of it. It may seem unsentimental, but the beauty of used gear is it often is a great way for someone to get into a sport. I sold off my old Gary Fisher at a swap a couple of years ago after deciding I didn't use it enough as a spare for friends. I saw it out on a local trail this spring! (It was very recognizable with its white tires.) It was having a fabulous second life, in fact, out in the dirt with a newbie woman rider. Way better than growing old and dusty in my garage! (The bike, not the woman!)