Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Cable housings?

Cable housings?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband pointed out my GF Hifi does not have cable housing on the all the cables, obviously a GF design but they seem like they shouldn't be running naked. Does this matter? Should I get some cable housing installed? Finally, how much does it cost to do those? I have seen some flashy looking bikes at the races so I guess I could do white, black (to match the other) or pink.

For illustrative purposes the cable without housing runs on top of the downtube. It does have little rubber eyelet like protectors.

Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

All of my bikes have naked cables. The only problem I've noticed is that the little donuts don't always keep the naked cable from wearing the bike's paint job. But then, the spots that have housing have worn the paint a bit too, so I don't know if that's significant.

I was a bit perturbed at the wear on my gold Waterford, so my LBS put a thin light sleeve over the naked cable that concerned me the most. Not quite a housing, more like a very thin drinking straw.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I don't speak MTB, but I know Ama's road bike has naked cables because it's the same bike as mine.

I haven't had any trouble with paint wear, but an easier preventive (and one that won't create any friction at all on the cables) is some of that thin plastic like you use to protect motorcycle paint from luggage, or your chainstay from your chain.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I think pretty much every bike has naked cables in that area. They don't need housing- that would just add weight anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbottomedgurl View Post
    I think pretty much every bike has naked cables in that area. They don't need housing- that would just add weight anyway.
    Nope, DH's Specialized does not. These run the entire length of the down tube. Oddly there are two cables, one covered and one not. I guess it is alright seeing as how all my sweat falls on the top tube, I was actually concerned about it wearing out quicker being naked and all.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

You're pretty much constrained by if/where the manufactured put cable stops on the frame. Since cables inside housing produce friction, running bare wires along the frame reduces friction, plus makes is easier to regrease the cables inside the housing periodically. Hydraulic disk brakes will always look like they have housing all the way, but that's a hydraulic line which must be continuous, not a wire in housing.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Mine is like your Dh's. I have the front derailleur cable running naked and the rear derailleur cable running covered. In fact the rear derailleur cable runs covered all the way down to where it enters the rear derailleur.

My previous bike did not. I didn't really think about it from the aesthetic point of view of rubbing the paint, but rather the susceptibility of the bike to sucking nasty junk into the cable outers when riding in yucky conditions.

I had the misfortune to ride my old bike in a couple of races that were very wet and muddy. Lots of mud and grit got attached to the maked cables and when gears were shifted and the cables move longitudinally (so they go in and out of the outer housing) it sucked this muddy gritty muck into the outers. From then on it became a very unpredictable shifter until I had the outers removed and cleaned out.

My new bike has the advantage of being SRAM X-0 and also fully enlcosed and despite getting sucked into another two wet races it has been sensational - never missed a beat and cleans up perfectly. The front derailleur is not covered, but it runs in a spot less vulnerable to the mud, the front shifter doesn't require the same precision as the rear so is not so critical to keep squeaky clean.

My DH has just bought a cable set and changed his to fully covered as well. It was easy and inexpensive. But if you are not likely to ride in horrid conditions it may never be an real issue for you!