Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman Tours?

Woman Tours?

To disable ads, please log-in.

anyone try these folks?

http://www.womantours.com/

My sister and I are thinking about a cycling vacation.

Yes, KathiCville did
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Yes, absolutely. I have taken two trips with them and leave on Tuesday morning for the Northwest Loop. They are a fantastic company, with solid leadership, and I highly recommend them for a wonderful cycling experience.

See this thread.

Click here for the thread

I did their Lancaster PA trip in late June. Great experience. GO

Yep, as Zen noted above, I booked a trip with WomanTours in April 2008---a week-long jaunt on part of the Natchez Trace. I wanted to do something special to mark my 50th birthday. I had a GREAT experience with them. Terrific guides, well-thought-out routes, nice accommodations, super bunch of companions. I'll definitely do another tour with them!

If you search my old posts from late April or early May 2008, you'll find my long trip report.

I have done the Natchez Trace tour and the Outer Banks tour with them. I had a great time on both and highly recommend them. I hope to do another one soon.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBikes View Post
    Yes, absolutely. I have taken two trips with them and leave on Tuesday morning for the Northwest Loop. They are a fantastic company, with solid leadership, and I highly recommend them for a wonderful cycling experience.

See this thread.

Click here for the thread
    It should be a beautiful and fun trip and yes, I hope you have the wind at your back in the Columbia River gorge too! I've done most of the legs on this route and think you'll really enjoy it. Walla Walla, WA is wine country, and so is the lovely Willamette river valley, OR - so maybe you'll have some great winery stops? I did a hot, hot, and hard century into and out of Hells Canyon a few years ago and have also gone on the Tour de Tetons with Womantours, that was very fun and well-supported.

Fyi, it's been hot and sunny - even in Seattle lately - and we're expecting temps in the 90's this week, so pack (and ride) accordingly.
    Have a great trip!
    Mary

Thank you, Mary. I looked at the weather and saw that it was going to be very hot in Portland this week. However, for a month long trip, I guess I need to be prepared for cool/cold, too! I am packing today! ...so excited.

You will not be disappointed on any WomanTours trip. The cycling is wonderful, the routes well planned with terrific cue sheets (with BIG type) for us visually challenged oldsters, and great food. On all the long trips, there is a cook except for our rest days. The food is marvelous, and they cater to regular eaters as well as vegetarians. There is a SAG on the road all day every day with food, water and gatorade. We do not LOSE much weight!!! LOL

I have gone on the Southern Tier and the Underground RR trips and was not disappointed at all. WT runs two long trips each year. The Southern Tier is their staple and there is always one other long ride. (a month or more)

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Interesting that none of their trips go into Canada. For the Northern Tier cross-U.S. trip, it's not much distance to go across the U.S.-Canada border.

One will see more interesting stuff also in Canada. For instance just less than 30 kms. north of the U.S.-Canada border by the tip of Lake Ontario, in Ontario, is the site for the book, Uncle Tom's Cabin (by Harriet Stowe)...the real place where freed slave, Josiah Benson built his place (several buildings) and also helped escaped slaves. I know...because I have a good friend who lives near the historic site. Alot of the U.S. blacks visit this famed site as the final site to freedom for Underground RR.

I realize there are the passport requirements...but no different than going over to Europe.

For the Northwest, one can take a fast ferry to Victoria, B.C. to Vancouver Island from Anacortes Island.

All along this international border crossing, cyclists usually are treated well by border authorities.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 07-26-2009 at 10:35 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I asked one of my two WomanTours guides about why the company doesn't go into Canada, e.g. trips along the Route Verte in Quebec. I might be misremembering the answer, but I think the reason had something to do with Canadian rules about using Canada-based guides. ???

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by KathiCville View Post
    I asked one of my two WomanTours guides about why the company doesn't go into Canada, e.g. trips along the Route Verte in Quebec. I might be misremembering the answer, but I think the reason had something to do with Canadian rules about using Canada-based guides. ???
    Well, they should contact the Cascade Cycling Club in Seattle which organizes the annual Seattle to Vancouver, BC bike ride on the legalities. I'm sure as a U.S. organization they are well-versed on type of info. to provide to authorities.

There are unique large areas in CAnada that U.S. has no equivalent at all. Province of Quebec is an excellent example.

'Course who knows. Maybe one of their staff members regularily cruise TE forums..which would be a good thing for them as a bike-women centred company.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 07-26-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like they are really solid. I'm thinking about Shenandoah or Utah (Moab)...

Here is another vote for CANADA!!!!!!!!! and yes....I am from the U.S. !!!!

If you do the Shenandoah tour you'll probably have Laurie as your guide. If you do Utah, Pattie will probably do the honors. The two of them led my Natchez Trace trip and were both fabulous!

No follow up--- where'd you end up and what's your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by endurancerider View Post
    anyone try these folks?

http://www.womantours.com/

My sister and I are thinking about a cycling vacation.
    Just took receipt of the new Woman Tour catalog for 2010 and starting to give consideration to either Moab or Italy so I'll be interested to get your opinion if you ended up with the Moab trip...
    "Competition is often won or lost on the 6 inch playing field between the ears."