Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question "Dent" in seat tube to accommodate front derailleur?

To disable ads, please log-in.

While meticulously cleaning my aluminum frame the other day, I noticed a sizable "dent" behind the derailleur. There weren't any scratches to indicate that it had suffered any maltreatment and it was in a very inaccessible place. Admittedly, I panicked at first!

I am quite surprised it had gone unnoticed for a full 2 years. In the weird lighting, it looked as if the indentation might be uneven but upon closer inspection, it turns out it is quite a uniform, flat surface.

Is this sort of frame modification common practice? Does it compromise the integrity of the frame?
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

No, it is not a practice I have ever heard of to dent a tube to accommodate a front derailleur clamp. More likely is that someone overtightened your front derailleur clamp, creating the dent (as aluminum is quite soft that way).

Another possibility, if your chainstays are very short and the tire is very close to touching the seat tube, that the flat surface was intentionally created to allow for tire clearance. A picture would help tell the story.

Assuming it is some kind of damage it is probably fine structurally, but if you want to be sure, you will probably have to remove the paint around the dent and look for cracks. The problem with aluminum is that a crack can spread and cause tube failure pretty fast.

I'd recommend not worrying about, but keeping an eye on it. If you see a crack developing, stop riding it and have the shop where you bought it assess it.

I'd check out bikes just like yours, too, if you can to see if they have it. What kind of bike is it?

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

yes, frame makers put that dent in there. Some are more artful than others. And if they do it right it doesn't affect the integrity!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Here it is

It does look machined which makes me feel (somewhat) better.... Thank you for your comforting words

I will definitely be browsing the other aluminum bikes for this feature when I go into the shop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dent highlight.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	9624  
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    It does look machined which makes me feel (somewhat) better.... Thank you for your comforting words

I will definitely be browsing the other aluminum bikes for this feature when I go into the shop
    Great photo, I know exactly what you're referring to. Yes, the dent formed at the factory for front derailleur clearance. (It's not needed in every case, but likely with certain derailleurs and say triple cranks for example).

They are normal!

I just browsed the Trek bikes while I was getting my seatpost cut and most of the aluminum frames have the same indentation mine does

Yay. I'm so glad my frame isn't structurally compromised
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

something new I learned today. Great photo BTW. Thank you for sharing the information.

See its a triple 105. the chain looks so clean. not black like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    See its a triple 105. the chain looks so clean. not black like mine.
    Why thank you! I am rather meticulous about my chains...and riding in fair weather

I was just noticing the grime near my derailleur....
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850