Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Question Sunscreen on my face

I'm a faithful user of sunscreen, and use the Coppertone Sport 50 spf, and use the kind for faces on my face. I try to keep it away from my eyes but still get enough protection from the sun. According to the container it's not supposed to sweat into my eyes, but that happens on most bike rides. So my eyes water, and I spend a lot of the ride wiping my eyes with my sweaty gloves and snorting out the snot as I ride. (Sorry about the ick factor here) Does everybody else experience this? Should I make a better effort to keep the sunscreen farther away from my eyes, on the theory that the sunglasses are there to protect that part of my face?

Since my helmet covers my forehead, I don't put sunscreen up above my eyes, so it doesn't run into them.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I put sunscreen all over my face below and up to my eyes. I don't put any on my forehead because I have bangs and the helmet covers it anyway. I also don't put any directly under my eyes - that area is covered by sunglasses. This generally works to protect my skin from the sun without irritating my eyes.

Maybe try a different sunscreen. I've used both the Coppertone and Neutragena Dry Block on my face. I prefer the latter. It's a little less greasy and I don't have trouble with it getting into my eyes. You might also try a headband. That'll help keep some of the sweat of your face to begin with.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm having similar issues- I was thinking of trying one of the neutrogena sticks, but the one I was looking at isn't sweat proof. I wear a headband, but I think unless it was down literally over my eyebrows, I sweat enough on my face that it's running into my eyes. I guess I could forgo the forehead, but need to find one that won't sweat off in 5 secs that doesn't irritate my super sensitive skin.
    Support me in my fight against MS as I ride the Cape Cod Getaway MS150! Marian's Marauders Team Page

I was using Neutrogena and even without exercising at the end of the day my eyes were stinging. So I switched to this and is so much better. No yucky ingredients, no animal testing, non-clogging, and reef safe for the times you go into the ocean.

oooh thanks! I was thinking of hitting whole foods this evening, so hopefully they'll have it!
    Support me in my fight against MS as I ride the Cape Cod Getaway MS150! Marian's Marauders Team Page

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Visited a dermatologist a few days ago.

After telling her I had been using 45 spf Neutrogena all over my body & face when I cycle, she said that real coverage means thick application. Which means after 5 applications the bottle is gone.

So her message was to reapply frequently. Also she agreed I have to use a higher spf on my face since it is more prone to freckling, etc.

She examined my skin allover my body and did say that I did a consistent job of using sunblock protection, given the amount of time (and years) I've been cycling outdoors. 'Course I don't swim nor lie out in a bathing suit for past many years, so large parts of my body has been protected.

I don't use it on my forehead since I have bangs, helmet and sunglasses.

AFter this dr.'s visit, I now definitely have no interest in wearing any sleevless / tanktops when exercising outdoors. I don't want to worry about skin exposure on yet another part of my body. Enough to be vigilant now for the skin areas that I regularily expose.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I also wear a buff

http://www.buff.es/en/catalog_headwear.php?t=1

as a headband under my helmet. I get the buff with the UV protection and then I cut thme into two. So it's not as long and then I get two buffs for the price of one. I only wear sunscreen under my eyes and down.

Oh, here's a cool one....but it's not UV protection

http://www.rei.com/product/691367 the Pop bike one
    Last edited by silver; 06-28-2009 at 08:32 AM.
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong