Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Sunscreen on my face

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a faithful user of sunscreen, and use the Coppertone Sport 50 spf, and use the kind for faces on my face. I try to keep it away from my eyes but still get enough protection from the sun. According to the container it's not supposed to sweat into my eyes, but that happens on most bike rides. So my eyes water, and I spend a lot of the ride wiping my eyes with my sweaty gloves and snorting out the snot as I ride. (Sorry about the ick factor here) Does everybody else experience this? Should I make a better effort to keep the sunscreen farther away from my eyes, on the theory that the sunglasses are there to protect that part of my face?

Since my helmet covers my forehead, I don't put sunscreen up above my eyes, so it doesn't run into them.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I put sunscreen all over my face below and up to my eyes. I don't put any on my forehead because I have bangs and the helmet covers it anyway. I also don't put any directly under my eyes - that area is covered by sunglasses. This generally works to protect my skin from the sun without irritating my eyes.

Maybe try a different sunscreen. I've used both the Coppertone and Neutragena Dry Block on my face. I prefer the latter. It's a little less greasy and I don't have trouble with it getting into my eyes. You might also try a headband. That'll help keep some of the sweat of your face to begin with.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm having similar issues- I was thinking of trying one of the neutrogena sticks, but the one I was looking at isn't sweat proof. I wear a headband, but I think unless it was down literally over my eyebrows, I sweat enough on my face that it's running into my eyes. I guess I could forgo the forehead, but need to find one that won't sweat off in 5 secs that doesn't irritate my super sensitive skin.
    Support me in my fight against MS as I ride the Cape Cod Getaway MS150! Marian's Marauders Team Page

I was using Neutrogena and even without exercising at the end of the day my eyes were stinging. So I switched to this and is so much better. No yucky ingredients, no animal testing, non-clogging, and reef safe for the times you go into the ocean.

oooh thanks! I was thinking of hitting whole foods this evening, so hopefully they'll have it!
    Support me in my fight against MS as I ride the Cape Cod Getaway MS150! Marian's Marauders Team Page

they should, that's where I got mine. ~$18.

I use neutrogena spf 70 sport sunblock and it never runs into my eyes. i have the same burning eye problem and really fair skin so it's pretty critical for me. love the neutrogena!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Coppertone Sport, spf 30

Ann,
    I use Coppertone Sport, comes in a blue bottle - and it doesn't irritate my eyes, with contacts. I live in a sauna, otherwise known as south Louisiana, so when I'm doing field work it can be pretty steamy. My colleagues put me on to the stuff after I got seriously sunburned above my eyebrows after being out on an airboat, so my hat brim was blown up. I had applied sunscreen on my nose and cheekbones, and every where else, but not above my eyebrows. I've used the Coppertone Sport since, and have noticed that's the preferred product most of the other use - it holds up to sweating.

re-read from the beginning - I see you've tried Coppertone. I guess in an airboat or other boat I don't get as much sweat in my eyes. I generally don't apply sunscreen above my eyebrows when I'm cycling. Figured for road cycling, my head is down enough that I'm not apt to get as burned as when I'm out on the water.
    Last edited by bmccasland; 06-25-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: short attention span, it's a sign of too many birthdays!
    Beth

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think that I'll try to be more diligent about keeping the sunscreen away from the eyes, and maybe try some of the products mentioned here.

I use Dove tinted moisturiser with SPF 12+. I think because it is a moisturiser it sinks in better.

And even though it is a low SPF I have never been burned- even with one application, and riding all day for 180km, my arms got burned but not my face. And NZ has no ozone layer so you do burn in 5 minutes flat. It doesn't run into my eyes as well.

I use a mineral makeup powder that has Zinc Oxide in as sunscreen on my face.

It stays in place with sweat or rain, doesn't run, doesn't sting.

I use the CopperTone 50. Just used the 70 version today.

I only have it run into my eyes when I stop for a period of time. If it's just a few seconds at a traffic light, etc. It's fine.

If I'm standing outside my house post ride w/the neighbor blabbing a while... then the lotion running starts.

I wear contacts too. Ooo... ouch. Then it's a dash for the bathroom sink to splash it off. Rubbing only makes things worse. If you are out on the road, you could try giving yourself a squirt in the forehead w/a H2O bottle for a wash.

I put the lotion just above my eyebrow line. And just below my eye sockets where my sunglasses stop/ start. Never right under my eye itself.

I'm super fair skinned. I've never burnt under the eyes through the shades (good shades, btw... Rudy Projects).

Riding any speed other than dead stopped is enough to keep the lotion from running through the eyebrow line for me.

Oh another tip... apply the sunblock right after a shower... it will absorb right away!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers