Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: newbiie here xD

newbiie here xD

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello! I am a newbie here. And also a newbie in biking. I wonder if what kind of bike do new bikers use. I am totally clueless about what bike to buy. If someone here can help me out it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hi and welcome to TE!

It really has less to do with your being a new biker than it has to do with various other things like:

What's your budget allow?
    What kind of riding do you want to do? (on paved road, gravel/dirt roads, mountain biking on trails, just easy suburban riding, long or short distances?)
    What is your local terrain like? (flat, hilly, city, rural?)
    Are you old/young, in shape/out of shape?
    Have you ridden bikes before?

There is no one bike for all different purposes. You need to tell us all more details.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I found the book, Every Woman's Guide to Cycling: Everything you need to Know, From Buying Your First Bike to Winning Your First Race by Selene Yeager to be a helpful book. It discusses the very basics at the beginning of the book. I cannot vouch for the training schedules since I have not followed them but I found the general information on gearing, etc. to be informative.
    It does not give specific advice about which bike you should buy once you have made the general decision - mountain bike, road bike, etc.
    Last edited by nolemom; 06-04-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to Add Something
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by nolemom View Post
    I found the book, Every Woman's Guide to Cycling: Everything you need to Know, From Buying Your First Bike to Winning Your First Race by Selene Yeager to be a helpful book.
    Awesome book. I highly recommend it to beginners and even non-beginners. Lots of good basic info on all aspects of cycling.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra