Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

tanking economy & trip planning

To disable ads, please log-in.

Though things economically right now are in the tank worldwide, one thing positive is if you book months in advance, sometimes you can get deals on flights and hotels. So already we booked flights (within Canada) for September.

I managed to find and book a luxury (not that I was actively looking for this quality) hotel in Portland that was offering a bewilderingly good price over a holiday weekend. And just 1 wk. later the pricing went up by $100.00.

Can't even imagine our bikes in this lovely turquoise satin draped environment with white accents. Probaby have bike storage facilities down stairs..

SilverSon and SilverDaughter are going to Europe this summer - on their own - but I'm amazed at how inexpensive the "peak season" airplane tickets are - about $1,100. Makes me want to go...
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Oh, I don't think that $1100 is so cheap to go to Europe, at least not from the east coast of the US. I paid $1200 last May and that's the most by far I've ever to go. It was hard to swallow.

I hope the SilverKids have a great time, though.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Oh, I don't think that $1100 is so cheap to go to Europe, at least not from the east coast of the US. I paid $1200 last May and that's the most by far I've ever to go. It was hard to swallow.

Well if $1,100 is 2 round-trip tickets for 2 people to Paris/continental Europe, that's not bad, even if flying out from east coast. I noticed for anyone visiting Vancouver here now, there are some great hotel deals for next few months. Nice hotels. But don't count on tons of snow up in Whistler right now.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 02-08-2009 at 05:29 PM.

I flew to Europe for free.
    Well, kinda free.
    I bartered with the Army.
    It was worth it.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

I agree. I used to fly to Europe for around $700--at most $800--even at peak times.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Hmmm, our last trip, the kids were kids and were $1,100 each on season

Ahhh, must be the difference between a booming market and a falling market!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

DH and I are currently doing the round-the-world thing, seeing as we are both "in transition." When else will we have this kind of time?

Agree with others that flights are not too steeply discounted, but there are definitely vacancies at hotels, at all levels. We are currently at a very nice place in central Java, and there are only a few other guests . . . feels like we have it all to ourselves!

I flew to Scotland between Christmas and New Year's for about $625 roundtrip. That's usually a peak time.

Jackson HOle is running this special, which is pretty incredible considering their lift tickets are $90

hmm

Jocelyn-are you guys coming to Australia?

If we want to fly back to NZ, it'll cost each of us $900. If we want to go to Europe, i believe we'd be looking at $2k. Now, if we want to go shopping in Singapore..

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Jocelyn-are you guys coming to Australia?
    Only briefly; we will be in Melbourne this Saturday through Tuesday. We figured Oz might be it's own trip someday, but it turns out that there is a Melbourne company that wants to interview DH, so they are flying us down from Singapore.

Where are you?

poo

I'm over here in Perth but like Melbourne for the shopping!!

Melbourne..shopping..mmmmm Do you like coffee? If so, i'm happy to ask my fave cafe owners (Melbournians) for their recommendations for Melbourne. Oh, also, visit the MCG, if not the most famous sports ground in Aust.

If the bushfire situation in Vic wasn't as bad as it is at the moment, would have suggested driving to Ballarat/Bendigo for some Australian history. Same goes for the Healsville wildlife sanctuary.

Good luck to your DH & his interview!

Love coffee, and any recommendations for places to visit. It'll be a quick one, so we'd like to make the most of it!

I think the main objective is to figure out if we'd be willing to relocate.

The bush fire story gets worse every time I read something new. I hope they're able to contain the damage and take care of people.

Thanks for the well-wishes!

k

k, I asked my friend for suggestions & here's the lowdown.

1-For things to see-The "G" as many know it by. (the MCG) & drive the Great Ocean road. I completely forgot about that one!

2-Coffee-The Brother Buba Budan is the best place (friend is my fave cafe owner & barista plus originally from the Melb area). Others are: Journal, Cantina, Guiseppe Analdi & Sons, Cumulus, Gills Diner & Bar Lourinha.

Thanks for the recommendations! Will report back.