Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Folliculitis!

Hybrid View

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Folliculitis!

OK, I did a search on "ingrown hairs" (fancy term: folliculitis) and didn't find what I need so here goes.

I've got a giant one. Not just a little bump. Mayo Clinic and WebMD aren't helping me out here. I've had little ones before but not like this. I've been able to tolerate it for the last couple of weeks but it doesn't seem to be getting better in spite of my religious application of the recommended home treatment. And it HURTS! It's right where my leg meets my crotch (I'm not sure how to otherwise describe it).

Do I continue to wait for it to go away? Go to the doc? I can't believe there aren't others that have suffered through mega-folliculitis.

Needless to say, I don't think I'm going to do any more hair removal after this incident. Having the hair is better than having the bump.

yell-OW!

ummm......are you sure it isn't a boil? either way you could try lancing it with a sharp instrument (like a sterilized pin).
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Hmmm, boil was gonna be my guess too....... Tried sitting in a warm bath?

the folliculitis I've had is systemic and required the use of antibiotics.... what you get when a hot tub is not maintained. Yes, you can say, "ewwwwwww".

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Yellow... I'd try warm compresses. My daughter used to get boils on her legs sometimes and it seemed to help a lot. You may want to let a doctor do the lancing, if it comes to that. Make sure you watch it and if you see red streaks coming out from it get to the doctor FAST... the infection is going systemic at that point.

From a nurse.... Antibiotics!!!! If left alone, it will create a little pocket of infection which could spread to your bloodstream and infect your entire body! This is called sepsis when this happens and people end up in the ICU for months over sepsis! GO TO THE DOC!!!!!