Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

13 surprising signs that you will live long

To disable ads, please log-in.

I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

That is interesting Mimi!
    Thanks for the link.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Yes, that was interesting! But I went huh? and oh yes! severasl times:

- "fit" women, defined as women who walk at least 30 min per day. Is that total activity? We evolved to walk around on our feet all day, didn't we?

- hip injury lead to illness - oh yes, I've watched my mother, who "doesn't exercise" but used to love hiking, get feeble and feebler as her hips got worse. It practically immobilized her and she didn't have the motivation or experience to do other exercise.

- blueberries: Norway's Labour Party's Grand Old Man, Haakon Lie, who is 102 and very much all there, attributes his health and vigour to eating a cup of blueberries every day.

- "Just by vacuuming, mopping floors, or washing windows for a little more than an hour, the average person can burn about 285 calories, lowering risk of death by 30 percent, according to a study of 302 adults in their 70s and 80s." What lowers risk of death by 30 % - burning 285 calories? Housework as such? How about exercise instead?

Yeah, I'm picky, sorry
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Yea, I'm not giving up my cleaning service, but otherwise, I'm doing pretty good, according to this.

But I want a maid! No mention of doing the yard work. I'd much rather mow the grass than vacuum and mop.

If I could get fresh blueberries all time. But blueberry season ended months ago. And I've eaten all the ones I had stashed in the freezer.
    Beth

Eating 'purple foods', does eggplant count for a purple food since the inside isn't purple? One of my random thoughts. And do red grapes count the same as the purple? I found I don't care much for the deep dark grapes as they are mushier than the red ones. Is that just me?

I need to up my tea, and change to sparkling water. I *need* that fizziness in pop, not the caffiene, just the fizziness.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    - "Just by vacuuming, mopping floors, or washing windows for a little more than an hour, the average person can burn about 285 calories, lowering risk of death by 30 percent, according to a study of 302 adults in their 70s and 80s." What lowers risk of death by 30 % - burning 285 calories? Housework as such? How about exercise instead?
    You remind me of the opening chapter of Charmichael's "Food for Fitness" book, which paraphrases as "Yeah, those exercise guidelines that say all you need is a half-hour of walking three times a week? That's not for you."

-- gnat! (more more more!)

i just found this:
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA157077
    Researchers from the Osteoporosis Research Center at Creighton University found that excess urinary excretion of calcium occurred only when the carbonated beverages consumed contained caffeine. At least one earlier study had suggested that caffeine consumption can have a deleterious effect on bone health if not counteracted by sufficient calcium. The Creighton researchers found that the caffeine effect they saw was balanced by less excretion of calcium later in the day so that the net result was only a negligible loss of calcium. This led them to conclude that any effect on bone associated with carbonated drinks would stem from lowered calcium intake due to displacement of milk as a beverage. Incidentally, this study was sponsored by the dairy industry, which would have had an interest in the opposite result.

So the occasional soft drink won't wreck my bones!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Yay for carbonated beverages! I must be addicted to the fizz. Or maybe that I drink soooo much water, I just need something else 'cuz water gets old sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
    Yay for carbonated beverages! I must be addicted to the fizz. Or maybe that I drink soooo much water, I just need something else 'cuz water gets old sometimes.
    That's why there's fizzy water! My current favorite is fizzy mineral water with a wedge of lime.
    Beth

Great link! Thanks!

I must say I did like it...
    BUT NO WAY will I give up my house cleaner....I do enough other stuff to burn those calories.

And YIPPEE once again for red wine. Another thing I will NOT give up.

Interesting read and perspective.
    But I think WE should make our own list! I bet we can come up with one.
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    That's why there's fizzy water! My current favorite is fizzy mineral water with a wedge of lime.
    Mine too!

I havent had 'soda' in over 15 years

How do they establish a "30% lower risk of death?" Ever? or only during the housework hour? What were the other subjects doing? Riding motorcycles drunk and without helmets? or nibbling blueberries?

And they figured this out by studying people in their 70s and 80s...Does the result apply to anyone older or younger?

Still, pretty interesting things to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    How do they establish a "30% lower risk of death?"
    +1

I hate stuff like that... especially when it's applied to medical procedures. Last I checked we all have a 100% risk of death.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler