Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lights- Road Bike Bars

To disable ads, please log-in.

Right now we (husband and I) use Cateye lights on our commuters. I had bought a NiWT light with the battery that goes in your bottle cage but it wouldn't fit the road bars on my regular road bike! I have different bars on my commuter but I didn't have it at the time I got the lights. We need something super bright that will fit road bars or can be mounted another way. Any suggestions? I would like to keep it around $100 but safety is paramount so no budget limit on suggestions.

ETA- Forgot our winter evening commutes will be right at 2 hours, so battery life might be an issue as well. I am thinking we can supplement with the current lights because the last stretch of road is rarely travelled. I won't need powerful lights until 30 minutes into the commute home myself. I get off at 4:00.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 09-22-2008 at 05:17 AM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

you could get a bar extender like this:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=9036
    avoid the minoura one though - it breaks.

Hmmm that might work, I liked the light I got for about $120 but it wouldn't fit. There are several others by the same company I like but figured the bar issue would be consistent.

Would this be stable?
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Yet another reason I love my Dinotte lights (www.Dinottelighting.com) because they fit on all bars, or anywhere else!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I have a NiteRider MiNewt. It has an O-ring mounting system so it fits securely on most any handlebars. The battery pack is quite small, charges quickly and I'm pretty sure has a life 6 hours on steady- longer on flash of course. I think it probably is a bit over your price point, but sometimes you can find them on sale and I think they might have a less expensive model, but you can only charge it through a usb port...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Hmmm that might work, I liked the light I got for about $120 but it wouldn't fit. There are several others by the same company I like but figured the bar issue would be consistent.

Would this be stable?
    I havn't had an issue in over a year with two Cateye el-530's. it's attached to my stem.

Amanda, I'm not familiar with that particular light, but most have some adjustability in the mounting bracket. For some, it's obvious- new o-ring thingy or whatever. For others, not so much- my Tri-Newt actually requires some minor disassembly and reassembly to make it fit larger bars. Any chance that it can be adjusted or that the company sells a bigger bracket? I hope that you can get it to work!

Oh, and big thumbs-up for the MiNewt too Those Li-ion batteries have awesome run times

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    Yet another reason I love my Dinotte lights (www.Dinottelighting.com) because they fit on all bars, or anywhere else!
    +1 on the Dinotte lights. Mine is really bright! There a little more pricey at around $160 but if they sell them at REI so if you have a dividend you can use it and get a good deal.

I have a NiteRider MiNewt. It has an O-ring mounting system so it fits securely on most any handlebars.
    +1 I have been really happy with my MiNewt. It's really bright and has a lot of options for mounting on handlebars of different sizes.

It was the Cygolite brand that would not fit. No matter what we did to adjust it. I do have tiny bars and there just isn't a lot of real estate for mounting on my the road bike.

I am thinking maybe the Dinotte's and keeping the Cateye on the other side for additional light for visibility to motorists? We already used our Dividend but the lights can start adding to next years!
    Amanda

I have a light on my helmet and one mounted on my fork. i have a third that is mounted on the same bracket as my fender? (hmm, i have to check) I have too much stuff on my handlebars anyway~!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

MiNewt Fans

Do you have the single or double? I am think since I need one for me and one for DH we will go single and it will be a great improvement? Big concern is super visibility for cars. $200 is a bit steep but at least if we get them from REI we have the awesome return guarantee and we get a dividend for next year.

Looks like Performance and some internet places are cheaper but Performance's customer service stinks.
    Amanda

I have the single and it is bright enough for my uses - though, as I live and commute in the city, I am generally in pretty well lit areas even after dark. I do go through a park with no street lights I've never had any problems. It's a lot brighter than our old one that was not LED. I also like that the light is very white - not blue like the early LED lgihts. The blue ones make every thing look very flat - it really messes with your depth perception.

For city riding I don't actually like the really bright lights (like HID lights) - they may be good for trail riding at night, but they blind other riders and drivers on the road....
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Do you have the single or double?
    I have the single and it's bright! This year I'm going to splurge on a helmet light. Check with your LBS and see if they carry NiteRider. If not, REI offers excellent customer service and shipping.

I have the single MiNewt and a lot of my commute's on a very dark portion of the local MUT--I am very satisified with the amount of light it provides.