Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Proper Posture??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, I'm pretty new (6 rides on my bike and just under 60 miles) and I have no idea what proper bike posture is, I don't really know what I'm doing, I just get on and go, but I want to do it right. I am having a little muscle pain in my lower back, kinda where my kidneys are. It has been getting less and less the more I ride, but I would like to get it to stop completely. I'm probably doing it wrong. Any tips, or good sources to seek out?

Did you get fit to your bike? My bike fitting (from a different LBS than my bike came from because they turned out to be useless in fitting) was awesome because he knew where I belonged and got me there, but I could also ask questions of how exactly I needed to hold my hands, how to pedal more efficiently with the clipless pedals, etc. Worth every penny of that $50.

Fitting is very important. If you haven't had a fitting, it is a good idea. But it also sounds like you are new enough that the whole activity is bound to cause aches & pains for a while. If it is getting better gradually, I'd be willing to bet (okay, I'm a big weenie and don't actually bet on things) that after a while you'll be pain-free. Your body needs to get used to what you are making it do!

Ride on!

I hope it is just getting used to it, I had a fitting from my LBS, but maybe I will go and have them double check it just in case. Thanks for the input!

If your pain is decreasing, there's a good chance that your body is just adjusting to riding and it will go away on it's own. I had a few aches and pains like that when I started. I also had a few that didn't go away without making changes, but these got worse over time, not better. I say keep riding and see if it resolves on its own.

As far as posture, you don't want to slouch or deliberately round your back, and you should keep your arms slightly bent and your shoulders out of your ears. Also, you should stretch after every ride.