Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Lessons Learned From My First Official Road Ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

1. Investigating sidewalk paths (b/c riding on the road is not a safe option in some places)from the car as you drive can be deceptive. A few times I had to hop off and walk my bike due to 6 inch differences in pavements that I never saw when I was originally planning my first commute.

2. My bike will tell me when it does not like the way I changed a gear!

3. I really need to practice changing gears and understanding which way what shifter changes so I don't accidentally shift to a harder gear when facing a monster hill.

4. Hills don't seem so bad when planning a route from the car. However, even slight hills that last over a mile can be tiresome. And monster hills are...well, monster hills!

5. Cars are scary. Especially Mr. Landrover who decided to shave 10 seconds off his drive time to the grocery store by speeding past me (very close!) only to slow down and cut to the right in front of me to get to the turn lane. $&%&$!

6. Cars are a motivating factor. No way did I slack off on my 4.2 mile ride! I wanted to get to where I was going ASAP!

All in all, it was ... good. I survived. And I can't wait to get back out there.

Glad you had a good time. Yea, sometimes hills just don't look that bad in a car. I am the number one hill slug. I get up them, but I take my time at it I think I learn a new lesson everytime I go out and ride.

Yes, drivers around here are often jerks.

It can actually be more dangerous riding on the sidewalk, specifically at intersections - drivers don't see you before they turn.

If you're looking for a good commuting route, go to:

http://www.bikewashington.org

and join their message list. It's a yahoo group. Post a message with your start and end points and someone out there will probably be able to advise you on the best way to go.

The bikewash list is also a great place to ask for pretty much any kind of cycling advice. Sometimes people also post about group rides that they're planning.

And congrats on the new bike! Have fun!

where do you commute? what area? what are the major roads you're afraid of? if you can find some somewhat decent roads, i agree that it's best not to go on the sidewalk. If you're near some of the common bike commuter routes, maybe some of us locals on here can help you find a good way to go.

I commute from approximately where 28 and 29 cross over (centreville) to my work in Herndon. Right now when I drive I take 28 to Westfields Blvd which turns into Centreville Rd, then Frying Pan Rd to Monroe St and from here on it would be very bicycle friendly. My biggest snag is trying to get from my apartment to Centreville Rd because between the two are some very hairy spots for cyclists - ones I will not even consider trying, especially going in to winter when we have much less sunlight.

I wish 7100 had bike paths all the way out to my area but I think those only start where 7100 and 50 meet.

What if you went through the park on Walney? Is that road ok?
    Or cut through Chantilly neighborhoods to get to 7100 and 50?

Too bad the W&OD can't really help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    What if you went through the park on Walney? Is that road ok?
    Or cut through Chantilly neighborhoods to get to 7100 and 50?

Too bad the W&OD can't really help you out.
    I know! The W&OD is right by my work place. For some afternoon rides I will just bring my bike to work and head out from the office to hit the trail.

I will check out your suggestions. I plan on taking a ride around the Walney area this weekend to see where the wooded trails go because that is the worst spot (where the road changes from 4 lanes to 2 and it has lots of pot holes, etc...).

Yeah I'm not too familiar with Chantilly.

Have you thought about contacting Evolution Cycling to find some routes (not for commuting--just general rides)? I think they tend to go out of Reston.

Then there's the Haymarket team, which is supposedly a pretty good group.

There's also a club that rides in Warrenton (Warrenton cycling..? but they may be part of Haymarket now..) if you want to trek out to some more rural areas.

Here's a good discussion of stuff to do to stay safe while cycling. It says, among many other things (emphasis mine):
    People wonder how riding bikes on sidewalks can be dangerous. First, there is a greater chance of minor collisions with cyclists and pedestrians due to poorer visibility and restricted room and also a greater chance of falling down. However, the likelihood of a collision with a motor vehicle also increases. These accidents occur at intersections and driveways, the former more deadly. Unwilling to dismount and often unwilling to wait for the light, the bike rider starts across the intersection parallel to the main road, completely hidden from a turning motorist until the last second, when it's often too late for the motorist to stop. A study of these risks was made in 1994 and showed that sidewalk cycling is almost twice as dangerous as cycling in the street, and cycling against the traffic on the sidewalk is over four times as dangerous as cycling in the street.
    I can say that in 11,000 miles, the one time I was hit by a car was when I was riding on the sidewalk. Since then I've completely given up sidewalk riding.

That site also has a good discussion of how to avoid accidents.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Thanks, I understand the importance of riding on the road, but - seriously - it is *not* safe in certain areas which is why I was investigating sidewalks. In this particular stretch of road there is no shoulder, hardly any white line, very fast traffic (speed limit is 45 but everyone goes 50-60 mph) and there is no escape from the road because of a concrete barrier.