Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You know, I seem to be here whenever I get hurt :(

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone. I haven't been on in a while. Busy again, but I'm in the hospital again so I have some free time.

I nearly died Tuesday. I was admitted to the hospital because I have bilateral diffuse pneumonia, a pulmonary edema and my kidneys finally failed. I was initially in ICU where I was on a 100% O2 CPAP system to keep me breathing since my O2 saturation was under 90% without it.

Because of the renal issues, my anemia is now considerably worse than before. Because of this, a sort of humorous thing may be happening... my doctor may be putting me on EPO. My husband has already said that if it happens, he's getting me a jersey that says "DOPER!" on it.

At this point though I am stable. I undergo the knife on Monday to get an AV Fistula and other work done for permanent dialysis. I'm kind of scared about it at the moment though I'm told it's fairly routine.

Mel

Holy crud Melody! I'm glad to hear you're still alive -- this must have been terrifying for you and your husband. Will you be eligible for a kidney transplant?

Melody, I am so sorry to hear of the week's events you've endured. You have quite a bit on your plate to deal with....it must be overwhelming at times but it sounds as if your husband is there to provide support and humor.

Setting up for permanent dialysis may be fairly routine as an abstract thought to others but quite another matter when it's happening to you. You don't have to maintain a stiff upper lip for the sake of others. Vent when you need to and make jokes when you can.

I admire your spirit, empathize with your intermittent fears, and want you to know that I will be thinking of you on Monday.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

Gasp! An admitted doper in our mix?

Seriously, I am so sorry to hear about the blows you have been dealt. How long can they keep you on dailysis? I admittedly do not know much about the technology they have for it but I am aware a lot of people are on it for years.

I am glad to hear you have made it to this point. Warm thoughts and prayers for you and your husband (I am sure you don't take for granted his support and how hard it can be on the spouse of the ill) the coming days and weeks.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Holy crud Melody! I'm glad to hear you're still alive -- this must have been terrifying for you and your husband. Will you be eligible for a kidney transplant?
    Snap, a friend of ours that was here tells me that my husband looked liked he got hit by a truck. He was very frightened.

At this point, I don't know what my eligibility is for getting a transplant. Finding one, however, is difficult and they only perform them if the kidney is absolutely perfect. Any problems with the kidney and they won't do the transplant. :/ So even though my mother and sister Mary are willing, if they have any problems with their kidneys (my mother is diabetic and Mary has high blood pressure) their kidneys may not be eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama
    Gasp! An admitted doper in our mix?
    I know *hangs head in shame*

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama
    Seriously, I am so sorry to hear about the blows you have been dealt. How long can they keep you on dailysis? I admittedly do not know much about the technology they have for it but I am aware a lot of people are on it for years.
    If my kidney function is as bad as it is (it was down to 25% before all of this. We're *hoping* for 5%) I will be on dialysis for the rest of my life unfortunately.

Mel
    Last edited by Melody; 09-13-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Hi Melody - I will be thinking of you too when they create your AV fistula. Compared to what you have been through, it may be a relief to take a step towards getting your blood filtered and "cleaned up" for you with dialysis. Sorry that you have been so sick! It must be your TE tenacity that's gotten you through this so far - thanks for letting us know so we can keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Tokie

Oh crud Mel, I don't know what to say!!

I've been wondering where you've been. Have you been able to take part in the chorus 'til recently?

I'm 'ing over the doper shirt. Tell your husband that's a good one.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

oh

Oh dear

You're alive & with us Mel, that's all that matters! Please take care of yourself ((Mel)))

C

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Oh Melody!! Bless your heart! I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a struggle. You are a very brave person and your husband is going to be with you to help you through this. I know things seem so uncertain and scary right now, but know that you are in my prayers and that you and your family will be given the strength for this journey. Sending you lots of hugs and well wishes.

((((Melody))))
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Prayers and healing vibes coming your way. Hang in there.

It's unfair. I hope you can take care of yourself first, then get on with a healthy and active life.

All the Best,

rabbit
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Adding some healing thoughts from Aotearoa too and trusting that all will go well and be at least the minimum of what you hope for.
    Arohanui

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Melody - here's to a successful surgery tomorrow, and may you get to feeling better soon.

I'm sorry that you've had to resort to performance inhancing drugs. The shame, the shame. Oh what will we do?

Got an addy so we can flood you with cards and other get well wishes????
    Beth

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Oh my, Melody!
    I'm glad that you are still with us after your horribly frightening ordeal! I'm sending lots of love and virtual hugs your way. I'll say a prayer for a successful surgery tomorrow, and for positive reaction to the dialysis and maybe even for a kidney to come your way.

EPO, huh? shhhh.... I won't tell if you won't tell.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike