Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

worth the experience...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Assault on Mt Mitchell, N Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauriea...7606032122875/
    Last edited by bouncybouncy; 07-31-2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: put in ride name & location
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Great report - what event was this? It wasn't clear from what I read. sounds like a tough course with huge climb at the end!

Good job!

ETA - thanks for editing to put the ride name in!
    Last edited by maillotpois; 07-31-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Great job; great report. I have a handful of friends who've done the Assault and, from what I gather, it's a huge accomplishment. As a flatlander who strives to be a good climber someday, I'm quite envious!!!!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Impressive! Last fall we road the Blue Ridge Parkway and took the detour up Mount Mitchell. As I climbed Mt Mitchell, I kept thinking of people like you who would be doing that segment of my ride at mile's 70-100 instead of 20-50. Wow! Finishing that century is a notch in the accomplishment list! Congrats!

MP - I'm pretty sure this is the ride: http://www.freewheelers.info/assault.html

It's on my "to do one day" list. You actually have to do the 75 mile ride one year to be eligible to do the entire thing (unless you buy a ticket, and then don't use yours for a year).

CA
    Last edited by Blueberry; 07-31-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

good story, 27 miles in 4.5 hours, that's about 6mph. that's STEEP!

how come only 1 photo?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Wow, great adventure report. I can't even IMAGINE biking up that mountain!

I visited a friend in Asheville 10 years ago and he drove me up Mt. Mitchell to see the view- it was a DARK day during the week, with thunder and black sky and fog (or was it clouds??) rolling about everywhere....very spooky and beautiful.
    On the way down in the car we were going pretty slowly and suddenly we had to brake because two little black bear cubs crossed the road right in front of us.
    We took one look at each other and then high tailed it out of there cause we knew what else was likely coming along.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great report!

Had we stayed in NC, I know this ride would have been on our list of 'someday' rides. This one and the lovely "Bridge to Bridge".
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I still want to do Blood, Sweat and Gears.....GLC - Did you guys ever do it??

CA

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    I still want to do Blood, Sweat and Gears.....GLC - Did you guys ever do it??

CA
    No! And that was one that I truly wanted to do. It's supposed to be fun and beautiful!

I was just thinking about riding in the NC mountains (and Micheal at the Bicycle Inn) and I miss that. The riding here is great, but I'll miss the mountains, no doubt about it.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Yeah - I was actually thinking about Michael the other day. Looks like he's still updating the webpage with pictures from his new locale. It's a shame the Inn isn't there as an inn anymore, though.

Can't you guys get to mountains pretty easily??

CA

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    My brother lives in Asheville. He recently did the Mountain Bike Assault on Mt. Mitchell. 50 miles up Mount Mitchell on mountain bike trails. He's a really good mountain biker and very strong, and it takes him about 6+ hours. His regular road riding includes Pisgah Mountain; he loves riding up hills.

It's hard for us flatlanders to imagine our daily rides like that. Good going, Bouncy.

Thanks...living here makes it easy to train for climbing! Also, one nice thing about the ride is the first 70 miles is relatively flat.

I felt awesome at the end of this ride...there were many notches that day!!!

Have not done Blood, Sweat & Gears...I am mostly a mtbiker so one or two huge road rides a year...maybe next year???

Tulip - I did the Off-Road Assault as well (hehe...not quite 6+ hours) but I did better than last year!!! It was hot, tough and unfortunately a disappointment on the "stocked aid station" part of the deal...report to follow soon.

CA...I will not be doing the road assault next year...let me know and I will give you my number so you can try to get a ticket!!!! come on...you know you wanna!!!!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy View Post
    I did the Off-Road Assault as well (hehe...not quite 6+ hours) but I did better than last year!!! It was hot, tough and unfortunately a disappointment on the "stocked aid station" part of the deal...report to follow soon.
    I'm looking forward to reading that, bouncy. A (male) friend of mine did it too, and he really suffered. He also complained bitterly about the lack of water and food at at least one rest stop (maybe more). He was one of the later finishers, and the fact that they ran out of stuff really pissed him off, because he NEEDED it (both food and water on such a hot day). And apparently the organizers had the same number of riders as last year so should have known better. For the $80 entry fee, he expected more, and I don't blame him one bit.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow