Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

burning legs and wierd sore hips

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went on a 60km bike ride yesterday and about 1/2 through, my legs started to burn, and I mean BURN. I know about lactic acid but this lasted a good hour. Then my hips started to hurt, this has never happened to me. I have to tell you I bought a new bike, Specialized Roubaix Elite. Do you think its the fiting.

No, it's the fact that you are using gears you are not fit for.

You were probably mashing and tearing up your quads... sorry to be so blunt.
    But you are covering the topic nicely in your other thread.... you forgot to mention you wore yourself out so much you had to throw up at home.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 06-09-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Sounds like you need lower gearing. Also sounds like you need to build your strength up a bit at a time.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Could your saddle be too high?

I have to agree with the other girls in that it sounds like you may have bitten off a bit more than you could comfortably chew. Don't think it's a fit issue but a training one instead.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

I have to agree, it sounds like you over did it. Drink lots of water, massage, eat protein after a ride, to help counter the effects.

The pain in your hips may be caused by tight glute muscles brought on by too much effort that you were not prepared for. I suffer from recurring bursitis-like pain from my glutes pulling on the hip joint (somehow - I'm not an anatomy expert, just repeating what a chiropractor told me). It can be caused by overwork on the bike (too heavy a gear), or, worse, from doing so, and then following that with a long downhill with no pedalling (much more likely on the mountain bike) - staying in the crouched and ready but no moving position is a sure way to get the muscles to tighten and not want to give up!!!

I suspect if it was a fit problem, the pain would happen much earlier in the ride, but I'm not a fitting pro either.

I hope you get it resolved soon so you can get out there and ride. Lots.

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Oh, I just read your other thread (double chain ring). Yes, gearing is the issue.

Riding 'til you puke your guts up... well, the sore legs you got from that ride probably are NOT due to a fit issue.

I don't know much about gearing, but after reading the comparison between the gearing of your old bike and your new bike, I'd definitely be in the "gearing issue" camp.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Cool

I have to agree with all of you. I was fooling myself in thinking I could just do 60km with no problem. But like in my other thread, I think I'll have to change my gears. I only told my biking buddy that I threw up. My husband would kill me if he knew. He keeps telling me to "slow down or you're going to make yourself sick?"

Quote Originally Posted by violette View Post
    I have to agree with all of you. I was fooling myself in thinking I could just do 60km with no problem. But like in my other thread, I think I'll have to change my gears. I only told my biking buddy that I threw up. My husband would kill me if he knew. He keeps telling me to "slow down or you're going to make yourself sick?"
    He's right. You should slow down. I don't think the problem was that you fooled yourself into doing a 60km with no problem, the problem is that you pushed yourself so hard to finish 60km in too hard a gear for too long a time. Why do you feel that you needed to ride so fast or so hard? I think you and your bike need to get to know each other better first. I also think that you think that because your bike is more expensive than your last one that you should automatically be able to do bigger and better things right away. Slow down. Properly train. Don't bite off more than you can chew and in time you'll be able to do all you want to on your great new bike. Live and learn, right?
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

Quote Originally Posted by F8th637 View Post
    He's right. You should slow down. I don't think the problem was that you fooled yourself into doing a 60km with no problem, the problem is that you pushed yourself so hard to finish 60km in too hard a gear for too long a time. Why do you feel that you needed to ride so fast or so hard? I think you and your bike need to get to know each other better first. I also think that you think that because your bike is more expensive than your last one that you should automatically be able to do bigger and better things right away. Slow down. Properly train. Don't bite off more than you can chew and in time you'll be able to do all you want to on your great new bike. Live and learn, right?
    You're absolutely right!