Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Cool I went grocery shopping!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just put my new Basil panniers on The Green Monster and made my first trip to the grocery store!

Here's all the stuff I got:

2 bags sharp cheddar cheese
    4 sticks of butter
    Coffee creamer
    sour cream
    dozen eggs
    Pam
    tortillas
    2 cans of veggie stock
    1 box macaroni and cheese
    hotdog buns
    veggie beef
    veggie hotdogs
    2 lbs. organic chicken
    2-liter of Rootbeer
    bottle of sunscreen

AND...I didn't even lose one egg!!
    My first charity ride! The MS150 Cycle to the Shore

No, the part that flabbergasts me is that you got butter home in Florida in June. I assume you'd have admitted it if it melted all over your new panniers and your other groceries? Do you have one of those thermal bags?

Good job! Commuting is fun ain't it!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Congrats. Now the next step is the huge bag of pet food. Make sure you clip out on that side.

Actually, that's a good point. I may want to invest in a thermal bag for my panniers for the summer shopping.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

That is a lot of stuff. Hmmm, I'm rethinking my panniers.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    No, the part that flabbergasts me is that you got butter home in Florida in June. I assume you'd have admitted it if it melted all over your new panniers and your other groceries? Do you have one of those thermal bags?

Good job! Commuting is fun ain't it!
    lol - I didn't even think about the butter! And oh man was it hot - Google weather said it was 102!!

Amazingly, the butter didn't melt. I should try to get one of those thermal bags though - I may not be so lucky next time!

Congratulations!

I love love love getting groceries on my bike. It's so satisfying, in some way. (can't define it... maybe the hunter-gatherer thing?)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

A trailer is a big help with groceries. If you're shopping for a family it is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    A trailer is a big help with groceries. If you're shopping for a family it is essential.
    This is a spiffy grocery trailer: http://www.bicycletrailers.com/Croozer-Dog-Trailer.pro And mine (a bit older) folds flat so you can use it as a flatbed trailer for thrilling loads like a case of toilet paper from Costco. I assume the new one will fold flat the same way.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

There IS something great about getting groceries on your bike!

I actually have a bike trailer for the kiddos - I don't know why I didn't use it. I guess I just really wanted to use my new panniers, lol. I'm sure it would have been much easier to balance!

Knot's trailer is very cool. I was really impressed with how flat it folds down.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlightmama View Post
    There IS something great about getting groceries on your bike!

I actually have a bike trailer for the kiddos - I don't know why I didn't use it. I guess I just really wanted to use my new panniers, lol. I'm sure it would have been much easier to balance!
    Well, if you thought the panniers were hard you should try the milk crate sometime!! There's a thread somewhere on this site involving me having an *interesting* ride home with a load of groceries that was heavy and didn't fit into the crate very well. Getting groceries on the bike is definitely satisfying--seems I'm not the only one who's discovered that.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Congratulations!

I love love love getting groceries on my bike. It's so satisfying, in some way. (can't define it... maybe the hunter-gatherer thing?)
    Yea, cycling and eating quite compatible.
    Though we buy junk food at times, I am certain if we had a car, the temptation would be greater, to stock up way more different junk foods.

Transporting groceries by bike, does for me, make me abit more conscious of food choices and purchases while I'm wandering around in store since there just is less transportation space is to get the food home. If I'm climbing hills with grocery weight, then I wanna make sure it ain't just a junk stone candyweight that I'm luggin' home...except if it's for a party.

Call me wierd, but I find it best on the weekend to go for a long 65+ km. ride early in morning and then go grocery shopping near the end on the way home... My body would be primed just after a good ride...to want to make somewhat healthier grocery choices....while I just abit later I had my coffee and apricot scone for energy.

We do bits of bike grocery shopping throughout the week ..each of us while we run our own daily schedules, with usually mini-bike grocery trips on weekend together.

[QUOTE=Xrayted;324873]Congrats. Now the next step is the huge bag of pet food. Make sure you clip out on that side. [QUOTE]

Been there, done that. :

It's almost worth the effort just for the looks and comments I got while loading my trailer with 20lbs. of dry food, 12 - 22oz cans of food and a bag of dog bones. I love my trailer. I take it on a grocery run every week. bikerHen

I have one of these:

http://www.leggero.com/leggero/shop/...?KatalogeID=36
    and its bike attachment.

It does a nifty, presto-change-o from trailer to shopping cart to hand cart.

Malkin, that is extraordinarily cool!