Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Toe Cramps. . Anyone else?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've noticed this phenomenon while pushing off with my left leg. Typically, I keep my right leg clipped in and then push myself off with my left leg. Sometimes during this pushing off process my toes will cramp up or lock on the leg that I have pushed off on. Sometimes I can shake it out by just putting pressure on the ball of my foot and trying to stretch it out but sometimes it just feels kinda stuck. Does anyone else have this problem or does anyone know what causes this and how I can prevent them? Stretches? Strengthening? TIA!
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

When I saw toe cramps I immediately thought that you might have the cleats on your shoes attached too far forward, so that you pedal too much on your toes. Don't know why they'd come when you push off from the ground, maybe they're tired and cramp under a sudden pressure, but you might want to try moving your cleats back a bit.

(I only know spd cleats btw, not road, but I'm guessing they can be adjusted a bit too)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I actually would like to move my cleats back but they are already as far back as they will go. I have thought about drilling some holes and cutting out some of the rubber on my MTB shoe. Thanks for the thought though.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

I was getting those when my saddle was too far forward. Also I always ankled a lot, and since I've been trying to push through my heels more and not point my toes, I haven't got any more cramps.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler