Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Saw Something Weird Yesterday

To disable ads, please log-in.

Riding down a bike trail, I saw a gal laboring uphill coming towards me. She was pulling one of those trailers you stick toddlers in, and I thought, "She sure is working hard. Must be a big kid in there." When I got closer, I glanced into the window and saw -- a tiny little DOG! It was one of those fuzzy lap dogs that could fit in a purse.

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe she could just get a really big bike bag and squeeze the dog in under her saddle...
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

LOL, I thought about doing that with one of my golden retrievers. The smallest is in the 65 lb range....

A couple years ago, I met a fella who rode about with his dog in a doggie backpack. The dog LOVED it. But this was a small terrier.

That's funny because just yesterday I saw a guy pulling one on the trail and it had 3 Dachshunds in it!!! DH said as much as we love our dogs, he thought he would leave his at home!
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I can't see me pulling a 90 lb german shepherd.

There is a lady that regulary rides the Mt. Vernon Trial on weekends pulling a baby trailer with 3 little fuzzy dogs riding in it.

Not having a dog (and when I did, it was a Chesapeake Bay Retreiver), I don't get it why folks can't leave their dogs at home. As long as she's not holding up traffic, which she doesn't, guess I shouldn't care.

I did think it was odd the first time I saw it!

Cindy

There's a guy from around here who pulls a Briard in his kid carrier. Look 'em up, they're bigger than a German Shepherd!

Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Only in America.

Personally, I think they should train the dog to peddle the bike and THEY should ride in the little trailer behind.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a trailer made specifically for dogs. (Croozer Dog)

haven't taken the dog out yet, but haulin' his 70lb heinie would certainly add some oomph to my bike's engine.

(figured the box-on-wheels style trailer would be great for grocery runs)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

There's a lady in our neighbourhood who runs her dog each morning - she rides her mountain bike and this black lab type dog is on his leash that she's holding. She doesn't appear to have the best bike handling skills, and her dog doesn't seem to be very well behaved. I have to put my dogs in the backyard in the morning instead of the front yard so her dog doesn't dart over to bug our dogs - it happened a few times and I thought she was going to crash hard! I'm not convinced that big dogs and bikes mix. We leave our wonderful border collies - 50lb and 70lb each - at home when we ride.

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    No, bikes and dogs on leash not a great idea. I give them a wide berth...if I can.

Well, apparently my partner who cycles around more often than I during the day (he's semi-retire), sees enough people on bikes carting their dog(s) around. Sometimes the tiny pooches are in knapsack.

there are dog specific trailers out there for purchase.

I tried bike & dog once. We lasted 20 feet. Did not work and it was a very well trained to leash sort of dog. It hurt too. having said that, i understand they've made some cool systems for bikes and dogs (on foot) the lady who looks like she has poor skills sounds pretty good if her dog is unruly. I have no idea how she could stay on the bike!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

http://copenhagengirlsonbikes.blogsp...dog-cargo.html

I really doubt this is only in America. We see folks around here pulling dog trailers and also carrying small dogs in front baskets. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    I can't see me pulling a 90 lb german shepherd.
    How about the other way around?
    Dogs like to ride in cars, why not behind bikes?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Doggy Bag

I'm not a dog person, but I came across this contraption the other day, which makes the doggie trailer seem like overkill, especially if you're talking about a purse dog:

http://www.bikemania.biz/Rixen_Kaul_...opperdoggy.htm