Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling, triathlon & fitness apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    830

    Can the mold from a water bottle harm you?

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    One of my Polar water bottles has some mold growing on it that I'm having a tough time getting rid of. Will drinking from this bottle with a bit of mold still hanging on cause any health problems? I know I need to get it cleaned up and I've read the thread that tells how to do so...but just curious if the mold could cause any health problems?
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Concord, MA
    Posts
    10,557
    Well, if it does, then I'm dead...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Benicia, CA
    Posts
    1,320
    Every so often I put straight bleach in my water bottles for that very reason. I then rinse them thoroughly. Have you tried that????
    Nancy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,548
    it COULD hurt you, use bleach. But don't worry about what you already drank. there's mold and mold spores EVERYWHERE and you are eating them every day.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    757
    I always use bleach in mine, and then I squirt it through the lid to clean the mouth piece and everything to.

    Beach evaporates so once you let it sit a bit after rinsing it the bleach smell and all will disapate.
    Donna

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    13,645

    Related question

    Will oxygen bleach harm polyethylene? I know not to put my water bottles in the dishwasher with a chlorine bleach-based detergent, but now that I've started using Seventh Generation, can I put them in? (Please?)
    Trying to live every day as though it were my first

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sf Bay Area
    Posts
    457
    I just ordered two Klean Kanteens and I think they'll be great, as they're stainless steel and lightweight. Not that mold won't grow in SS, but I like the fact that there's no plastic.
    http://www.kleankanteen.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    76

    mold

    Bleach them. I have terrible mold allergies so I avoid it like the plague. My understanding is that it's not that good for anyone and besides it looks gross!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    277
    honestly, I'd worry more about the germs you pick up at the grocery store.

    but then again I played ice hockey for years, and you really don't know want to know what those water bottles looked like. We played with men, and you know how they are when it came to cleanliness...especially their hockey gear

    and I'm still alive

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    8,783
    Quote Originally Posted by chicago View Post
    We played with men, and you know how they are when it came to cleanliness...especially their hockey gear

    and I'm still alive
    Albeit a little itchy
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Troutdale, OR
    Posts
    2,333
    My newphew got sick drinking stale water out of his moldy water bottle. My sister and I warned him that he WILL get sick. He learned the hard way to a point. At least, he empties out the bottle.

    YES DO USE BLEACH. I also scrub out to get rid of the slime. When it comes to food and food safety, I'm a neat nut.

    Smilingcat

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Posts
    4,172
    A friend of mine always said..."Ya gotta eat a peck of dirt before you die."
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,079
    If hte nipple gets too slimy your mouth could slip and you could bite your lip... and maybe even drop the bottle...

    ... and who knows what else could be a-growin' there. I try to remember to shoot chlorinated water through thigns periodically.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,507
    FYI, my bottles go straight to the dishwasher after a ride. Bottom rack. Never had mold. Doesn't hurt them.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    757
    I put mine in the dishwasher to. I never heard that it would harm them. Mine seem to be okay. If I'm not fixin to do a load of dishes then I just bleach them like I said earlier. Well, I actually when I re-read, I said beach instead of bleach. I need to go fix that. LOL
    Donna

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •