Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

A new visitor to our bird feeder

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH and I feed the birds all winter. We're using up the seed we have left, so we still have regular visiters...over 2 dozen species we've identified so far...mostly cardinals, juncos, sparrows, and woodpeckers.
    Today, while I was cooking dinner, I looked out the window and saw this guy on the feeder. He's a monk parakeet....an alien from South America, imported as pets in the '60's, released by some owners, and several feral populations have become established in urban areas. Connecticut seems to be a big area, but I've read of them in San Francisco, Chicago, and areas in Florida. Allegedly, there are populations in Delaware and perhaps Virginia, but I could find NO recording of them in Maryland. Pretty cool (which is actually my general response to alien and invasive species in general).
    The neighbor's cat wandered into the yard and scared it away. It flew up into a tulip poplar, where it was harassed and chased away further by a bluejay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	5632  
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

He is beautiful! I never get anything that exciting at my feeders! Great find, and even greater you could get a picture! Thanks for the background!
    Jes
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Can he really survive? I feel sorry for this type of bird who is let loose or gets loose. Can he really survive? I would try to take him in and make 'him mine'. On Friday, a guy I work with, was in the work kitchen and his wife, visiting for lunch, had their pet bird and it looks just like him. I feed birds all year long. I am 'just a backyard birder'...not too sophisticated, just love to feed the birds and see what I can bring in. I would try to entice this fella home, to be mine, forever....

How nice! I can't wait to have a feeder again.

Quote Originally Posted by sbctwin View Post
    Can he really survive? I feel sorry for this type of bird who is let loose or gets loose. Can he really survive?
    I've read that populations of these guys have survived since the '70's. They do fine, as long as there is a steady food supply - which is why they are found primarily in urban centers....folks like me with feeders full of seed all winter and lots of ornamental plants with exotic fruits and berries they like.

DH wanted to try to catch him. Other things I've read about these guys today:
    USFWS tried to exterminate them in the '70's, thinking they'd take over like the European starling has, but that hasn't happened with these guys.
    Neighborhood groups tend to fight off any further attempts at "control." It's that "charasmatic megafauna" syndrome that means the cool critters get all the popular lovin' and the small and uglies get forgotten.

Very Cool!
    Marcie

Wow, lucky you, 7! What a beauty he is and I've never seen one here in Va and lots of people in our neighborhood have bird feeders. The birds share with the squirrels. Good to see and hear that they seem to be thriving and aren't being a nuisance.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

Wow that is really cool!! I love birds, all of them.

I found a flying squirrel in my bird feeder one time in the middle of the night. I thought it was a big deal and called up fish and wildlife the next day. It turned out that they were all over... just rarely seen due to the nocturnal thing.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    We used to have one named Jethro. Except one day Jethro laid an egg and became Jethra.

Quakers (another name for them) are incredibly hardy, hence the reason they are illegal in many states with agricultural-based economies (I know in CA and FL for sure).

They usually flock, so seeing this one solo probably isn't "normal". They are really, really sweet birds and can imitate talk quite well.

y
    (former owner of several parrots and parakeets, currently fostering a cute li'l budgie named Lucky)

Are you gonna keep feeding, then?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

We have a small flock that nest near our office. Normally they nest in the palm trees, but this year they're around the high voltage power lines. Noisy little buggers.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    How nice! I can't wait to have a feeder again.
    Queen, can't you have a feeder where you are?
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Are you gonna keep feeding, then?
    I'm not sure.
    We've never fed the birds in the warmer months. But we certainly have a lot of seed left yet.

Interesting to know about the flocking, yellow. It could be that we saw only one of several birds. Or, this is the "vanguard" of a coming flock. Still, the bluejay wasn't terribly happy about it...but then, they're never happy about much judging by the racket they make.

I've heard in CT, they nest in transformer boxes on utility poles and the power companies HATE them....(no palm trees there! )

Quote Originally Posted by sbctwin View Post
    Can he really survive? I feel sorry for this type of bird who is let loose or gets loose. Can he really survive? I would try to take him in and make 'him mine'. On Friday, a guy I work with, was in the work kitchen and his wife, visiting for lunch, had their pet bird and it looks just like him. I feed birds all year long. I am 'just a backyard birder'...not too sophisticated, just love to feed the birds and see what I can bring in. I would try to entice this fella home, to be mine, forever....
    Yes, they can survive. Here are a couple of links to parrot/parakeet sites in the New York area. I've seen the ones in Edgewater, NJ... hundreds of them nesting in trees in a small park on a very busy road. They've been there for many years, so I guess they're doing okay.

http://www.brooklynparrots.com/
    http://www.edgewaterparrots.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Queen, can't you have a feeder where you are?
    It's against the rules in this apartment complex.

We're slooooowly house hunting so once we're in our own place again I'll have a nice big feeder!