Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seeking Bike Fit Help

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello!!!

I love this forum and I'm having a difficult time finding the right fit for me, in part because I am a very new rider

I ride a 2007 LeMond Tourmalet WSD 49cm and I love it I thought about getting a men's bike since my torso length is long for a woman and I have a shorter inseam but my hands are so small, the WSD handlebars really made a difference for me. I had not been fitted correctly when I bought the bike and was suffering from some neck and back soreness which I remedied by moving my reach from the hoods to the bars nearest me (mistake!!!). I didn't realize how unsafe this was until I decided to go back into my LBS to be fitted in hopes of relieving my neck and back pain and they pointed out that in a more upright position, I couldn't really engage my brakes in case of some emergency...

The first adjustment my LBS made was to replace my saddle. Apparently I have very narrow sit bones (a 130mm fit) and so I was not perched at the correct level to begin with. Wow, what an instant difference!

I also had my stem shortened because I felt too stretched out on my bike. Now that I have a shorter stem, though, my elbows and knees (although on different planes) overlap in their motion paths when I'm in the drops. Is this normal??

I don't ride in the drops very much, as I am not as in shape as I was hoping to be at the end of last summer but I wanted to make sure I had the fitting proportions right

Geez, I'm not sure it's possible to answer this question without seeing exactly what you're talking about... I think it's a matter of degree, and a matter of your personal riding mechanics.

When I am "low" in my drops (elbows bent a significant amount), I have a good deal of elbow/knee overlap. It's not a problem since I ride with my knees pulled in pretty close to the top tube, so my knees aren't hitting my elbows. However, is your position such that when you are in the drops, your thighs hit your chest? If that is the case, that is a bit of a fit problem, and probably means you need to have your bars higher (not necessarily closer). When your knees are hitting your chest, it restricts your range of pedaling motion and probably puts you in a crunched up position that constricts your breathing (and it's not very comfortable). I guess I wouldn't be inclined to worry about the knee/elbow relationship in and of itself very much -- it's more a question of how you feel on the drops, and whether your hip angle is really crunched up (I bring this up because *if* you are crunched up, it's almost certain that you will have a lot of knee/elbow overlap -- but you could have overlap without being crunched up).

Other people who know more than me will probably be able to help more .
    Last edited by VeloVT; 03-23-2008 at 06:28 PM.

I'm reading this the same way as Liza and your thighs are hitting your chest then you need to have your handlebars raised. I have this issue due to short arms and it wasn't until I had a refit on my bike that the problem was discovered. BTW, the guys wanted to put me in a a very low position but it was uncomfortable because I had no space. After having my handlebars raised I no longer bump my chest and ride in the drops all the time now. It's a very comfortable position.

Also, be sure that your handlebar width is correct. For years I rode with 38cm handlebars which made it difficult for me to reach the brakes from the drops. I actually need 34 cm handlebars, which were difficult to find but make such a difference for me, comfort and reach wise.

I *love this book! He talks about fit and all kinds of cool stuff! If your library doesn't have it, it's well worth ordering a copy from your LBS or Local Bookstore.

Andy Puitt's Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists. by Andrew Pruitt and Fred Matheny. Published by VeloPress, www.velopress.com
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 03-23-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

another thought, and this is totally out of nowhere and unlikely to be relevant, but are your cranks an appropriate length given your height/inseam?

Andy Puitt's Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists is available as an eBook at Road BikeRider's bookstore for $12.95
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    Geez, I'm not sure it's possible to answer this question without seeing exactly what you're talking about... I think it's a matter of degree, and a matter of your personal riding mechanics.

When I am "low" in my drops (elbows bent a significant amount), I have a good deal of elbow/knee overlap. It's not a problem since I ride with my knees pulled in pretty close to the top tube, so my knees aren't hitting my elbows. However, is your position such that when you are in the drops, your thighs hit your chest? If that is the case, that is a bit of a fit problem, and probably means you need to have your bars higher (not necessarily closer). When your knees are hitting your chest, it restricts your range of pedaling motion and probably puts you in a crunched up position that constricts your breathing (and it's not very comfortable). I guess I wouldn't be inclined to worry about the knee/elbow relationship in and of itself very much -- it's more a question of how you feel on the drops, and whether your hip angle is really crunched up (I bring this up because *if* you are crunched up, it's almost certain that you will have a lot of knee/elbow overlap -- but you could have overlap without being crunched up).

Other people who know more than me will probably be able to help more .
    Hello All,

Thank you for your insight

What I'm wondering is, if from a side view of someone riding a bike, the space where the knees come up on the top of the stroke, do the knees overlap space with the elbows while in the drops

I don't think my thighs necessarily hit my chest but....I'll have to check I think it's awfully close. My seat and handlebars are almost at the same height but I am a rather short person (5'3") and my inseam is about 29"-30". My crank length is 165 but doesn't the fit depend upon the length of your calf:thigh ratio?

I think my handlebar width is mostly correct, as I am quite broad-shouldered and now have a 38 I have had some neck pain before I was fitted but I'm hoping my saddle/seat height will address this (if not, I will go back into my LBS).

Hmm...anyway, I haven't yet found the drops comfortable and am only getting accustomed to my new bike fit on the trainer inside (too much snoooooow).
    Last edited by Ana; 03-24-2008 at 04:14 AM.

what is it that you are finding uncomfortable about riding in the drops? or, *how* is it uncomfortable?

you might want to go back to the shop that fit you and tell them you feel like your fit needs to be tweaked a bit. I think a lot of places will do some amount of follow up free.

I tried really hard to find some side-view pictures of pro riders riding in the drops, but I couldn't -- seems like when they're in the drops, it's usually a sprint and the camera catches them from the front or at best, on the diagonal as they're coming around a corner. However, it looks like many of them have some degree of knee-elbow overlap in the drops. Try a Google Image search and you should get some idea. Of course, not that looking at pictures of pros is the best way to determine whether or not *your* bike fits , but fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    Of course, not that looking at pictures of pros is the best way to determine whether or not *your* bike fits , but fwiw.
    Then again, if the pros, in their extreme positions, are having some knee/elbow overlap...I'm guessing we should expect at least some, too? Or, maybe not if our bars are higher, I guess.

I have some knee/elbow overlap, and right now it is OK because my bars keep my hands a bit outside my knees. I also wonder if my setup is right, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi
    Also, be sure that your handlebar width is correct. For years I rode with 38cm handlebars which made it difficult for me to reach the brakes from the drops. I actually need 34 cm handlebars, which were difficult to find but make such a difference for me, comfort and reach wise.
    I'm curious about this, because I have small hands and brake reach issues. Are your bars now significantly narrower than your shoulders? If so, is that an issue for you in any way?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I'm curious about this, because I have small hands and brake reach issues. Are your bars now significantly narrower than your shoulders? If so, is that an issue for you in any way?
    Starfish:
    My new bike came with Shimano R700 short-reach shifters. My hands are not that small (if I'm buying leather dress gloves, I often need a women's large for length -- for athletic gloves, I'm usually a women's medium), and I was never aware of it being a big problem. But the short-reach shifters are very nice and they DO make shifting/braking more comfortable. They make it much easier to shift into my big chainring.

Something to consider...

(sorry for hijack).

Liza, PM coming your way...
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    What I'm wondering is, if from a side view of someone riding a bike, the space where the knees come up on the top of the stroke, do the knees overlap space with the elbows while in the drops

I don't think my thighs necessarily hit my chest but....I'll have to check I think it's awfully close.
    Maybe I am all wet, but I can't even imagine being so bent over that my thighs would be hitting my chest when I ride. Is that what racers do? What are your riding goals and what is your riding style?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't feel like you have to only ride on the hoods or in the drops. You can ride with your hands on the bar and you can get to your brakes in an emergency. Being able to change your hand position gives you options on a longer ride.

Here's my position when I'm in the drops. The GPS says 37 mph. This was our ride around Crater Lake, so I was more interested in the scenery than in going fast, hence no aero tuck.

V.

Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Lisa, I don't think anyone meant to imply that her knees *should* be hitting her chest .

As I said above, *imo* (which, in combination with $3 or so, will just about buy a tall cappucino at Starbucks ) if your knees hit your chest it's a sign that something's wrong -- probably at least one of the problems being that the bars need to come up. If it just happens when you're in the drops, it could also indicate that you might benefit from a slightly longer stem (and possibly a longer stem with more rise, or a longer stem + spacers).

I don't know what the pros do, but I doubt they ride that low because it compromises efficiency. Having been on bikes that put me in that position, it's just not comfortable and it prevents you from getting the most out of your pedalling. BUT -- you may have knee/elbow overlap in the drops even if the bike fits well.
    Last edited by VeloVT; 03-24-2008 at 08:52 AM.

I was curious about this so I got on my trainer to see where my knees hit in relation to my arms.

I dropped my elbow low enough that it hit my knee. My elbow hits exactly in the center of my knee right above my knee cap.

I'm quessing that there is 2-3" of space between my thigh and elbow when the pedal is in the 12:00 position.

Starfish, no my bars are not significantly narrower than my shoulders. My shoulders were measured at 34cm.

I use Campy Record and got the Modolo Venus handlebars. They are a dream come true for me because they come in a 34 cm and the drop is designed to bring the reach of the brakes closer so I can reach them with my small hands.