Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Team in Training

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wanted to post this info as requested by another user.

From http://www.teamintraining.org/hm_tnt
    The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training® is the world's largest endurance sports training program. The program provides training to run or walk a whole or half marathon or participate in a triathlon or century (100-mile) bike ride. Since 1988, over 220,000 volunteer participants have helped raise over $500 million.

By helping to raise funds for leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma research and patient services, you'll receive:
    Personalized fitness training by certified coaches for a period of four to five months
    Training clinics
    Your own personal Web site for online fundraising
    A supportive group of teammates
    Lodging and airfare to more than 60 accredited events in the United States and abroad.

On a personal note, I joined the team last year as a total novice. I wanted to get into cycling in a non-intimidating manner, and this really was the way to go for me. There is fundraising, and it seemed daunting, but I was able to do more than I thought. The team in Sacramento has two riding events to chose from this year. First is America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride around Lake Tahoe in June. Which I did for the first time last year - wow.... And the second choice is the Group Health Seattle to Portland Ride in July. I don't know what events other chapters are doing this year, so if you're interested go to the website listed above and input your zipcode to locate your nearest chapter. Contact them and they can give you the scoop.

I know some folks who really aren't into this group, and that's fine. I needed the support and resources. We had seminars on basic bike maintenance, nutrition for endurance training, event day nutrition, and fundraising. US Cycling certified coaches are available for consultation on just about anything. And mentors are assigned to each rider for whatever support is needed. Our first team ride is this weekend, wahoo!
    Ride your ride.

Hill Slug, I know you've been around a while. Why don't you post on the "Getting to Know You" page? I was checking out your website. My dad had non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and my aunt (my middlename namesake) died of Lymphocyctic Leukemia (I think that is the correct term). Tell us about yourself. I think doing the Tahoe ride as a novice is a pretty good accomplishment. Pat yourself on the back!

Hill Slug and all, first off congrats on TNT, a worthy cause. I lost my dear cousing Marvin to Leukemia a few years back. As I drove to his memorial I heard on the radio news that new treatments had been found that might have helped him. But too late for this wonderful man.

We have a lot of TE'ers doing charity rides: the Top Hat, AIDS Rides, even the Cindy benefits charities. We may need a thread for TE'ers to share fundraising tips, reviews of the various rides etc?
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

Exclamation Hey Admin!

Hey Admin: maybe we need a "fund-raising" forum? A place for everyone to post their fundraising needs, rides, goals, whatever?? Give us all 1 place to go for that info?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

A Charity Ride forum sounds good. I'd be happy to share tidbits I've learned in the last year.....
    Ride your ride.

Charity Rides

Hi Ladies!! Last year we formed MS Team FedEx Ohio to ride in the Pedal to the Point from Cleveland to Sandusky and back. One of my FedEx co-managers has MS, rides on our team, but had such a terrible setback before the PTTP she was bedridden. As show of our support, we raised $12,000 for the Buckeye Chapter of the National MS Society.

I'm always inviting folks to join our team. You do not have to be a FedEx employee, although the core group of our initial 2004 team of 32 riders were a bunch of couch potatoes from Columbus, Ohio.

While one of our Canton couriers got members of the Stark County Cycling Club to join us (they're "real" road cyclists), our Columbus folk rode on garage-sale/hand-me-down/Wal-Mart bikes, wore borrowed black padded shorts, and the coolest jerseys in town!!

We are so thrilled with the MS society folks with the SAG support, rest stops and gratitude! They ROCK!!

Does anyone know of any other charity rides near Columbus? BTW--I have a FedEx tractor trailer driver starting an MS Team FedEX near Chicago...Any takers? Let me know. Here's a link:
    http://biketeam.fedex.org/ebt/

Feel free to contact me for further information as I'm the Ohio Team Captain, Den Mother, etc..... XOXO
    Fit and Fabulous on a Bike...Decrepit on a Horse!

My National MS Webpage

Folks--here's my webpage and a photo of myself, my hubby (who will ride at the PTTP in 2005--He now has a recumbent!!) and daughter, Kathryn.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/OH...MS120050820BER
    Fit and Fabulous on a Bike...Decrepit on a Horse!

Seattle to Portland Double Century (STP)

Hiya Hill Slug -
    Sending an early welcome your way before the STP in July! I'm in the Seattle area and have done the STP 5X and am planning to ride it again this year. So, if you have any questions about it, just give a shout out, ok?
    Glad to support another TE rider!

Team in Training does a great job of supporting and prepping riders and I have met plenty of folks over the years who enjoyed the experience. It's great to not only enjoy riding, getting fit and healthier, meet great folks but to have your efforts make a difference is pretty awesome too, eh? Good for you!
    Mary

P.S. Also, given your handle, you may be pleased to know that you'd be better served to train for mileage rather than hills, as the STP route is not a hilly one. Sure, there are gentle rollers and long pulls that usually have headwinds, but nothing gnarly at all. Regardless of whether you ride it in 1 day or 2, you'll still be in the saddle for a long haul - either a 1 day double century or back-to-back centuries, so get your saddle time in and besides, a lot of it, especially towards the end, is all a mind game anyway, right? I usually use the last 50 miles to ride strong towards the finish, envisioning a hot shower, massage and cold brewski!

Tnt

I did a TNT event this fall - met lots of nice people - had a great time at the event - and raised almost $6000! However ... "buyer beware" or something like that! The coach was a SUPER nice guy as were all the assistants and mentors. Yet the "training" was pretty simplistic... we rode together once a week and got "tips" but that's about it. It is hard because there are people with so many different levels of ability in the same group - we did eventually split into 2 groups, but that happed late in the training. I met other people at the actual event from different parts of the country who'd also trained with TNT - some had similar experiences, others had excellent coaching. It is a worthy cause, and was fun! but my advice is to talk to riders who've ridden with your particular group before making such a big commitment (I found many people were doing TNT events for their 2nd and 3rd time and they were great resources for the inside scoop on how things in the group would go). Also, find out where the training rides are from the coach! At the info session I attended I was told they'd be in a variety of places in my county - but they ALL turned out to be 45 - 80 minute drive from my home.

First Time TNT'er and TE'er

Hi Hill Slug!
    I, too, am participating in TNT this year...a first timer, two weeks into training for the Lake Tahoe ride. At 46, and not having been on a bike in ummmm, well, a loooong time, it's quite the challenge. The first day I rode two weeks ago (23 degrees), I thought, am I nuts?? But today (50 degrees) and 170+ miles on my new bike, I'm thinking, hey I can do this!

For me, TNT offered the ultimate combination of getting in shape again (me), support and coaching from a certified trainer for a newbie, rejoicing in my dad's good health as a survivor of non-Hodgkins lymphoma, and raising funds for continuing research to support those who are battling blood cancers every day. Plus, I get to meet new people and peddle around the backroads in rural Wisconsin...and buy new toys!

Fund-raising is going well so far, but if anyone is willing to support a very worthy cause, here's my website: Cycle4aCure

Look forward to reading through the threads on this forum and picking up tips, techniques and encouragement.

Happy cycling!

-UpNorth123
    Last edited by UpNorth123; 03-28-2005 at 06:20 PM. Reason: URL incorrect

Welcome UpNorth!!!

Congratulations on joining the team and getting your mileage in! I was basically in the same place you are for my first year in TNT. I started out on a heavy hybrid, and used my tax return to get a lighter road bike - Specialized Sequoia Comp. The training was hard, and I also thought what the heck am I doing here.....But I knew.....so I kept going. Our coaches are pretty good. They make the effort to reach each person and provide any assistance needed. As a mentor this year, I'm providing tips to folks on fundraising and some very basic training stuff. Just the kind of stuff that I learned. The Tahoe ride was awesome last year. The weather was perfect and everyone had a great time. I did have to walk some of the climbs....Emerald Bay is short but steep, and Spooner is an 8 mile climb. The company, bikethewest.com that puts this ride on does a great job with it. The rest stops are well stocked with good stuff. The CHP and Nevada state troopers did a great job keeping us safe.

Get as much hill work as you can.....you'll need it. I was out there all day because I did some walking, but it wasn't bad because there were others walking too. You're not really alone. And there are riders of all different levels. So have fun with your training, and know that you CAN do it.....

Please feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions...

Where are you traveling from for the ride????
    Ride your ride.

The Purple Menace

Hi Hill Slug-
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Training is perking along...although we're really hoping for spring to arrive soon, yesterday on our 60 miler we were all still in long pants and sleeves and shells and ear muffs at 42 degrees. Ugh. We figure it just makes us tougher

I've met my goal for LLS and am now trying to make my personal goal of raising 5K or more. The following weeks will be challenging as the mileage gets longer, but now that I've fixed my first flat tire all alone (left the cell phone and potential 'rescue' sitting on my kitchen counter ) I'm feeling good.

Hope your fund raising and training are going well. I hear from other team members that those participating in charity rides, particularly TNT, have been labeled the Purple Menace. I do feel for those that have been training for speed, records, etc. for these events, but seems like there should be a way to allow everyone to meet their needs...like starting the racers 1/2 hour before the charity riders. Ah well, I'll just try to stay out of the way of the speed demons!

Only had a few minor aches and pains ... knees (temporary), ulnar nerve tinglees, so far so good for an over 40 broad!

Go Team!

Oh, and flying from Milwaukee to Reno. Our group is from the Fox Valley/Green Bay area of Wisconsin...there are also groups in Madison and Milwaukee we'll be meeting for our final training ride prior to the event.

Happy pedaling!

UpNorth

Purple Menace, huh??? I like it.....

America's Most Beautiful Bike Run is TNT's primary ride on the West Coast, so out of the 3500+ riders, around 3000 are TNT. So.....we're at all levels. Some of the faster riders do go out early. And some of the slower ones do too so they're not out there aaaallllll day.

Our particular team stresses safety as much as possible. Last year we had 3 riders end up in the ER with broken collars or shoulders - one was at Tahoe... We are really into safety and so far we've had a couple of biffs, myself included, but nothing ambulatory!

We did 58 miles yesterday in 75 degrees....Hill work, my fave...

I hope your weather clears up soon. Although the day after we did Tahoe last year, it started raining then snowing, so the weather up there can be unpredictable at times.

Have fun!
    Ride your ride.

TNT Chicago

Team in Training has been such a wonderful experience. You can learn more by going to my TNT page: http://www.active.com/donations/fund...y=tntilJKomros

Thanks!!

Hey TNT Riders: America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride is THIS coming weekend!!!!
    Hope you're all ready.
    Just a few things to pass on if you haven't already heard:
    - There are around 3,500 riders. That's a lot of folks on a 2 lane road all day. So please be mindful of those around you. The California Highway Patrol and Nevada State Troopers were great last year. But they will not hesitate to ticket the hotdog riders, so again please be careful.
    - If you're not used to riding at altitude, between 6,000 and 7,000 feet, you may want to ride at a slower pace to try to get adjusted.
    - Careful on the narrow shoulders. They use sand/grit on the roads because of the snow. There will still be sand/grit on the road, and sometimes the shoulder is not a wide as it appears. I almost took a fall sliding into some of that grit....would have had major road rash.....
    - There are a lot of newbies on the road, and they don't always use signals or alert you they are passing. On your left gets old after awhile, but it's nice to know when they are there.
    - On the Nevada side, there are long drain grates that stick out almost 3 feet into the traffic lane. Some were marked with orange cones so you could go around them. And some were not marked. The holes are just the right size for a tire to get caught in. Also, if one's not marked, please point it out to the riders behind you, they (I) will appreciate it!

Otherwise, have a good time. It's a really nice ride with beautiful scenery, so don't forget your camera!!!!

See ya up there.....The Sacramento team will have gold nuggets on their helmets, and we're going to start early, like 6am .....PM me if you want to try to meet up some time.....I won't be up there till very late Saturday, because I'll be seeing the Lion King when you're at the pasta party!!!! I'll be up there till around Monday noonish...
    Ride your ride.