Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 253 of 495 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303353 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,795 of 7422

Thread: Dear So and So

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Right there with you Indy, I take my mom shopping on Sundays... Aldi and Wal Mart (with an occasional side trip to Kohls) every frigging week! I suggest doing something a bit different and get looked at like I'm suggesting she shave her head and get a tattoo. *sigh*
    Apparently, my in-laws have now "relented" and have agreed to go to the antique mall. I look forward to being held responsible if they don't enjoy it. I'm going to try not to take it personally. What I've learned over the last couple of years is that there is no pleasing them. Even when they do exaclty what they want to do, they don't appear to enjoy themselves. For our last visit, we met them in Nashville, Indiana on a weekend when we were camping/mtbing at a nearby park. They drove 2 1/2 hours and spent 2 hours with us before heading back. After they left, I said to DH: "I feel bad; they didn't seem to be having any fun." To which he replied: "When do they ever seem to have fun?" Good point.

I get all worked up when I have to spend time with them, in part because their attitude about life just thoroughly depresses me. While they do have some health issues, they act like they're a good 10-15 years older than they are (MIL is in her late 60s; FIL is in his early 70s). They don't do much with their time and certainly little out of the ordinary. They have no outside living area at their home, so they mostly just sit in a dimly lit room all day. For fun, they might go to Subway for lunch and then to Walmart. My FIL, in particular, worries about everything and never relaxes. He has to be in control of every little thing. Every. Little. Thing. It's maddening.

In that regard, he and I have butted heads a few times already. His only son--my husband--is a pretty laid back guy. I think he mostly just tunes him out and does what he wants. His wife is mostly passive. I, however, am not. I like boundaries. I like to be treated like the 42 year-old adult that I am. His son is younger than me by more than a few years, and I don't know that either of his parents were quite prepared for him to marry an older woman with an established home and successful career. I've tried to cut them slack, but when push comes to shove, I'm not afraid to assert myself or ask that he back off. I'd like to think that we're past the worst of that, but it's taken a toll on our relationship all the same.

Anyway, I struggle with all of this. My own parents are very challenging, too. I have to admit that I had hoped to marry into a more functional family than my own. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that my in-laws are bad people or bad parents, they aren't exactly enjoyable or wholly emotionally healthy either. Admittedly, I have my own flaws, too, and I need to be more forgiving of them and kinder. I can be inflexible in my own way. So, lots of important stuff to work on......
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Dear Press,
    She's home. Stop repeating the story. I suppose it's asking too much to leave the chickie alone so she can wrap her head around breathing PNW air instead of Italian prison air.

Dear A,
    I'm certain the press is falling all over itself about wanting to tell your story, making appointments to be on all the talk shows and all that, but remember, you made some dumb decisions that landed you in that mess.
    Beth

Dear Ohio historical project review lady:

Ok, we've established that I'm a moron, so can we get past that and you just explain to me how to (essentially) do your job for you? I hope making me cry made your day, because it pretty much ruined mine.

Signed,
    the idiot in Colorado

Dear Starbucks,
    The irony that I went to get coffee to cheer myself up, and your cup is slowly leaking all over my desk from the seam in the bottom...I don't even know what to say. I'm going to go curl up in bed and wait for this week to be over.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Awww Jess,

Sorry for your crappy week. Hope things improve, and soon.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Dear whatever bug is going around this time...seriously. STOP. I'm down (again), my co-teacher is down (again as well) and all the kids in class are going down one by one (YET AGAIN). We're all sick of being sick. GO AWAY.

On the bright side, we survived a month without anyone falling ill by paranoidly wiping everything down with alcohol every day, making the kids wash their hands every time we catch their fingers near their mouths and noses and using large amounts of that hospital grade hand sanitizer ourselves. So I guess that's one step in the right direction somewhere.
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

(((Jess))). I hate when something makes me cry at work, especially when it's about work. I feel lousy for days. Hang in there.

(((Alexis))). I hope you and everyone else at school starts feeling better soon and that you stay that way.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Dear Seattle -

Please come take your weather back.

Love,

The SF Bay Area
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Dear Seattle -

Please come take your weather back.

Love,

The SF Bay Area

Pffft.... you think it's actually nice up here right now or something... we don't need to take it back.... we've already got it...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Torn back mucle please quit waking me up at 3:00 to 4:00 a.m. every morning! I'm getting tired. I would like my sleep.

Dear right palm,

I know you've a bit of arthritis, and because of you I can't have road bars on my bikes. I've been really good dealing with you and have indeed pampered you. What do you think was behind part of those weight exercises and flexibility work at the gym?

I've the biggest weekend of the year coming up. I AM going to ride my mountain bike tomorrow. Twice, before and after lunch. I AM going to ride it again on Saturday. AND hike. I AM going to have a great time volunteering for 12 hours on Sunday at a great mountain bike event.

So. Cease. And. Desist. I suppose I can't complain since you don't flare often, and Uncle Art has settled in my palm rather than my fingers...but still. We will both be much happier if you will settle down just a little more, and thank you for subsiding so much in the past few days. Thank you, just a little more please?

Besides, whoever heard of having arthritis in the PALM anyway? Guess I am just strange all-around

week

Dear Self,

You can make it through this week without going crazy....end of assignments til next year ...One exam at the end of the month...We can handle it.

Dear Upper body,

I've treated you so well over the past few months & we've made such good progress. Please don't flare up even more when i'm doing assignments this weekend....

Dear part of a kg..

Could you please go away....9 1/2kg's is nice but i'd like 10 to be gone..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Dear right palm,

I know you've a bit of arthritis, and because of you I can't have road bars on my bikes. I've been really good dealing with you and have indeed pampered you. What do you think was behind part of those weight exercises and flexibility work at the gym?

I've the biggest weekend of the year coming up. I AM going to ride my mountain bike tomorrow. Twice, before and after lunch. I AM going to ride it again on Saturday. AND hike. I AM going to have a great time volunteering for 12 hours on Sunday at a great mountain bike event.

So. Cease. And. Desist. I suppose I can't complain since you don't flare often, and Uncle Art has settled in my palm rather than my fingers...but still. We will both be much happier if you will settle down just a little more, and thank you for subsiding so much in the past few days. Thank you, just a little more please?

Besides, whoever heard of having arthritis in the PALM anyway? Guess I am just strange all-around
    I'm sorry you're hurting. Do you think it could be a nerve issue, e.g., carpal tunnel? My palms still hurt from my days on the Moots, and I'm pretty sure it's all nerve related. There are some stretches you can do that can help a bit. For instance, hold your arm out in front with your palm face out and your fingers pointed up. With your other hand, gently stretch your fingers back toward you and hold. You should feel the stretch at the base of your hand/top of your wrist.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Dear car,

I was really looking forward to a bike ride in this beautiful weather today. Instead I got to deal with wreckers, mechanics and rental car people. You're getting traded in, you worthless piece of s***.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Dear car,

I was really looking forward to a bike ride in this beautiful weather today. Instead I got to deal with wreckers, mechanics and rental car people. You're getting traded in, you worthless piece of s***.
    Dear Oakleaf,

I feel your pain. Both my and my brother's cars died last week. So tired of dealing with cars.

Back to bikes.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Dear People of the World:

I know there are big problems out there, but never mind. One of you is going to buy my condo eventually, so why not just get on with it? Then you will have a fine place to live and you'll be able to do other stuff. (and so will I).
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.