Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: SRAM on Shimano

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

SRAM on Shimano

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey there.
    I have a Shimano Ultegra compact crank (50/34) on my bike and a D/A 12-25 cassette on back, running a Shimano chain through it all. Front and rear derailleurs are Dura Ace.
    I'm already pondering some other options for the rear - specifically, SRAM makes a 11-26 10-spd cassette which sounds appealing...Oomph for the flats, spin for the hills.
    Question:
    Are there any compatibility issues running a SRAM chain or cassette on Shimano other parts?
    Can a D/A rear d. handle that kind of swing?
    Thanks!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Hi Regina -

I have a SRAM rear cassette (11-34!) and have had no trouble at all using it with my Shimano XTR derailleur (I know XTR is not exactly DA, but it's the mountain equivalent, or so I was told).

But my SRAM cassette is a 9-speed - not sure if that makes any difference. I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will weigh in on the matter!
    Keep calm and carry on...

The compatibility with SRAM is one of SRAM's beauties. As far as the rear derailleurs capacity, it is the cog size not the brand. Check Shimano's website for specific info based on your exact derailleur model and cage length.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

My road cannodale has and Ultegra Cassette (12-27) and RD with a SRAM chain(can't remember the model) and 105 STI's,and it works fine
    My Bike friday has an 11-32 SRAM cassette, a SRAM chain, A Campy Mirage FD, A Shimano Deore RD, A Sora Crank, and 2200(think Sora) shifters. It works fine.
    I Think a double D/A is rated for 27. I have a coupl of frined who have 27t cassettes with D/A RD's on thier single bikes, and it seems to work fine for them

One of my wheels has a SRAM casette on the back and works perfectly fine (all my bikes are variations of Shimano drive trains/shifters) - though I believe now that SRAM is marketing its own gruppos you would have to make sure you got the Shimano compatible casette. I believe that the cogs on the SRAM one are evenly spaced and the Shimano ones would not be, so it might cause shifting difficulties if you tried to mix and match.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Thanks all.
    I did some checking around.
    According to the Shimano website...the DA max spread is 11-27T (XTR and DA are both Shimano high-end, BikerZ, which is how they are "equivalent", I suspect, but the short cage of the DA vs. the long cage of the XTR result in different capacities for the spread on the cassette), so the SRAM cassette is within that. The SRAM site says that the PC1090R PowerChains - and others - are compatible with Shimano Gruppos, but doesn't talk about the 1070 Cassette re: compatibility.
    It sounds like you all are not having shifting issues, so that's great to hear!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

It is compatible. I run sram rival on my bike, and the deciding factor for me when I decided to go with it, is its compatibility with shimano(in case I need a teammates wheel at a race or something). I even ran a campy rear wheel the other week and it all worked beautifully.

So I say, go ahead! It will be compatible with your shimano that you are running.

I think the only thing you can't mix and match between the two brands are SRAM derailluers and Shimano shifters.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.