Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2008 Trek 7.5 FX WSD, Faster & Lighter?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi! I recently bought a Trek 7200 WSD hybrid (comfort). It has been great for exercise & comfort. But, I would like a faster and a little more lightweight bicycle. I recently test-drove the 2008 Trek 7.5 FX WSD. Is this a Fitness Bike? I prefer flat handle-bars, not drop-down. Would this increase speed? I liked everything about it (except the $740.00 price!).

At my local park, all the hard-core cyclists on road bikes just pass right by me.

I bicycle virtually everyday for fun, exercise, adventure, & to daydream! Not for competition. Thank you!

P.S Any other model I should research?

Yes! The FX series is what is known as a "flat-bar road bike" or "fitness bike". They are considerably faster and lighter than the other kinds of hybrids.

Other bikes in that category:
    Giant FCR series
    Jamis Coda
    Specialized Sirrus

As you look at these kinds of bikes, pay close attention to the gearing. Some have mountain bike gearing (not meant for going as fast). You might be wanting one with road bike type gearing. That means you would want a crankset with a big chainring of at least 50 teeth.

Oh and a couple more points to consider:

Since the 2008 bikes are out or almost out in most brands, there are good deals to be had on leftover 2007 models.

Also, do make sure you test ride some drop-bar bikes. I had a flat-bar bike for a few months before I realized that I was so into biking that I really wanted a drop-bar. If you haven't really tried drop-bar bikes, you should. Sounds like you already have the cycling bug and are feeling the need for speed!
    Last edited by rij73; 09-10-2007 at 06:04 AM.

When I was ready for a new bike, I told my LBS man that I was looking for something lighter, with reasonably skinny tires and reasonably fast wheels, and I was tired of running out of gears in a tailwind. (We don't have hills here ) I said I would entertain a road bike, but my LBS man recommended the 7500 FX. I traded out the stock tires for smaller ones and I can go as fast as I want to on it. No longer does everybody pass me by - though some of 'em still do. "There will always be somebody older and faster than you." I can really feel the difference with the fast wheels.

However~ don't write off those drop handlebars. *Most* people I know have a short adjustment time and then get to love 'em. With those silly Madones coming out, I"ve even been thinking about it.
    Last edited by Geonz; 09-10-2007 at 09:36 AM.

I went from a Trek Navigator to a 7.2fx. The fx is definitely lighter and no front suspension. That suspension will slow you down! The difference was amazing to me! It's the perfect bike for short rides and commuting, which is what I use it for. I also finally got a road bike, and love it too, but will never get rid of the fx. (I actually sold my first fx when I started riding my road bike, and soon regretted it, so now I have a 2008 mocha 7.2 fx and will never ever part with it. (It's my utility bike). I have pedals that flip from spd to flat so I can just hop on it and go to the store. For short trips, I prefer the flat handlebars like you, but get rid of the front suspension!!!! I can also ride the Katy Trail with it, which I can't with my road bike. Even if you decide to go to drop handlebars and a skinnier tire, you can still use the fx like I do. It's my trusty knock-around steed. I tried other fitness bikes when I decided I wanted an around town bike again, but the Trek seemed the best fit for me.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

FX Saddle

uforgot,

Does it have the Bontrager saddle like Trek's road bikes? I loved the picture of your new mocha FX and I may wish to pick up a more "utility" bike and use that on the trainer in the winter, keeping the miles off my Pilot 5.2 and having it ready for when we have nice days throughout the winter. But, I would want to have a bike with essentially the same saddle so I wouldn't have to keep breaking in the Pilot over the winter.

I didn't know the Katy Trail went that far west and I thought it was paved!! Apparently not. I spent most of my life in St. Louis and St. Charles County but unfortunately I only started cycling a month ago and I'm in NC now so I'll never get to ride it.

thinking about trying a road bike

Thanks for all suggestions and comments. I made a pit-stop at my LBS today. I will consider a road bike. I think the 2008 Specialized Dolce (black/pink) is a beauty! I'm 5'4". What size would be appropriate? I noticed the measurement is in centimeters. On the Dolce, my toes couldn't even touch the ground!!!! Are my feet supposed to be flat on the ground?

P.S. It had toe straps. Are those optional?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPilot View Post
    uforgot,

Does it have the Bontrager saddle like Trek's road bikes? I loved the picture of your new mocha FX and I may wish to pick up a more "utility" bike and use that on the trainer in the winter, keeping the miles off my Pilot 5.2 and having it ready for when we have nice days throughout the winter. But, I would want to have a bike with essentially the same saddle so I wouldn't have to keep breaking in the Pilot over the winter.

I didn't know the Katy Trail went that far west and I thought it was paved!! Apparently not. I spent most of my life in St. Louis and St. Charles County but unfortunately I only started cycling a month ago and I'm in NC now so I'll never get to ride it.
    It had a Bontrager "approved" saddle on it, that was a thing of torture like all their saddles are to me. I'm trying to decide what to go with, and I'm leaning towards the Terry butterfly, which works well for me.

The Katy trail is crushed limestone. It goes from St. Louis to Kansas City, and I am fairly close to many trail heads. Last Saturday I drove into St. Charles to ride it, and it is absolutely beautiful in Old Town St. Charles! That's where the Tour of Missouri is going to end that particular leg on Saturday. Brick street, old time shops. I also grew up in St. Louis, and visiting St. Charles is making me want to move back. You should visit! Never say never. I'm sure you could rent a bike close by. Momentum cycles is right there, but I don't know if they rent.

Period Costumes, drum and fife corps every Saturday at 1:00, quilts, quaint pubs. I didn't even know it existed and I'm soooooo glad I found it.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    The Katy trail is crushed limestone. It goes from St. Louis to Kansas City, and I am fairly close to many trail heads. Last Saturday I drove into St. Charles to ride it, and it is absolutely beautiful in Old Town St. Charles! That's where the Tour of Missouri is going to end that particular leg on Saturday. Brick street, old time shops. I also grew up in St. Louis, and visiting St. Charles is making me want to move back. You should visit! Never say never. I'm sure you could rent a bike close by. Momentum cycles is right there, but I don't know if they rent.

Period Costumes, drum and fife corps every Saturday at 1:00, quilts, quaint pubs. I didn't even know it existed and I'm soooooo glad I found it.
    I need to go back - I haven't been home in two years. And, yes, Old Town St. Charles is a quaint and fun place to visit. I love those old shops and brick streets.

I understand about the need for the FX bike now with the crushed limestone. It's funny how you can live somewhere nearly your entire life -- all the time they were clearing and building the Katy Trail -- and not pay attention enough to even know how it turned out or how far it goes! Sheesh. Thanks for the update and the little peek into the past.

la bicicleta, sorry for hijacking your thread. I'm 5'4" and got the 50 cm Trek Pilot 5.2 WSD. I don't know how that compares to the Dolce, but we do have several owners of that gorgeous black/pink Dolce out here, so hopefully they can give you a better idea. Your feet are not supposed to be flat on the ground after you're properly fitted but a lot of that has to do with the post and saddle height. I know I tried a 54 cm Trek (not a Pilot) and it was way high for me. Everybody will tell you to get expert fitting from your LBS to be sure.
    Last edited by PinkPilot; 09-10-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPilot View Post
    la bicicleta, sorry for hijacking your thread. I'm 5'4" and got the 50 cm Trek Pilot 5.2 WSD. I don't know how that compares to the Dolce, but we do have several owners of that gorgeous black/pink Dolce out here, so hopefully they can give you a better idea. Your feet are not supposed to be flat on the ground after you're properly fitted but a lot of that has to do with the post and saddle height. I know I tried a 54 cm Trek (not a Pilot) and it was way high for me. Everybody will tell you to get expert fitting from your LBS to be sure.
    Yeah, I'm apologizing for the hijack too. Here's why you need to get fit. I'm also 5'4" and a 53 cm bike is about right for me. I tried a 50cm and it was waaaay too small. I go wsd designs because I have almost a 32" inseam and short arms. (Long legs, but my waist is 1" away from my armpits.) Others on this board can't ride the wsd because their inseam is short, yet they have long torsos and arms. Two people, both 5'4" and totally different proportions and sizes. You can also get a friend and try one of the online calculators.

wrenchscience

The first time I tried this, I thought "impossible, people my height are riding 48cm, 50cm etc". So I tried it again and again. A bike shop confirmed that I was riding bikes that were too small. I'm really comfortable on my bikes now. You can't go by what others have. Use the online calculator or get a fit.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

And I'm 5'6" and I tend to need a 50cm bike (depends on the standover for me... short legs!). We're all built a bit different, so there's no substitute for a test ride.

I'm like Torrillin. 5'6" and ride a 50cm, BUT it has to have a sloping geometry or I can't stand over it very comfortably... At 5'4" you might be anything from a 47 to a 52 or so depending on the bike...