Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Need to drop some weight...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am in need of losing a minimum of about 20 lbs and a maximum of about 50 lbs. What advice does anyone have to accomplish that goal, yet still get the right nutrition to ride anywhere from 30-100 miles per week, plus workouts at gym, occasional runnning?? I just don't know how much to eat, what to eat, etc...Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

I think one of the best plans out there is Weight Watchers. You learn portion control, nutrition, and you don't starve. They take into account that if you are active, you have to eat more to fuel your body.

I like ediets.com You can choose your plan and modify your meals to suit your tastes. If you like to cook it gives you the recipes for the meals or you can pick store bought meals such as lean cuisine, or you can do a combo of both. There is lots of on-line support and help. It costs 10.00 a month I think which is competitive with other weight loss programs.

not exactly a diet but has anyone read Chris Charmicael's new book about food and training? ...i forget the title. Also not sure how applicable it is to women athletes.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Jenc, I recently (over about 5 months) lost about 20 pounds. It was over the winter months, so I wasn't exercising much, but I found that if I just ate slower and ate a little less, I had a lot of success. Figuring out what a real portion is is key. I was eating twice as much, sometimes, as a "portion" is at many meals. Just by eating slower I realized that I was full much sooner.

As far as eating for training, I'm not sure. I'm sure there are some good resources out there! Good luck!

You guys have given me some good ways to get started. Who ever knew that I would want to drop weight so that my cycling performance would be better? I am so glad that I found the sport. I truly adore it, and everyone thinks I am obsessed. Thanks guys!
    Oh, in two weeks, I am doing a 50K ride for the American Diabetes Association. I will let you guys know how I do. Any pointers?

Hi, I'm new here, but am having fun reading all your posts. My opinion is that you can diet until the cows come home, but when you tire of the latest fad, and you will, you'll go back to your original weight. That's so depressing. Also, some of those diets can be extremely expensive. Don't diet. You have to change your lifestyle. Obviously increase your exercise in order to burn more calories than you take in, but the key is to drop all sugar and anything made with white flour, don't eat anything battered or fried, increase your fruit and vegetable intake and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Prepare simple, non-processed foods. I know changing your old habits sounds rough, but after a while, you'll start seeing that flour, sugar and fried foods are the enemy, and you won't be drawn to them. But, you can have a once-in-awhile treat and it will be more enjoyable than when you took it for granted. You'll also be doing your body a great service because you'll be getting healthier. I eat like this and I honestly don't go to bed crying. I'm never hungry. You might find some new foods that you love. You might try a "Yogurt Surprise" for breakfast, or a treat. Just fill an elegant looking glass (wine, champagne, etc.) with low-fat yogurt (Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's is yummy), then place berries or any fruit on top of that and a low-fat granola on top. Found that recipe at a restaurant in Monterey, CA and have been making it ever since. Just make sure the ingredients are low-fat.

Good luck!
    Sonerila

but after a while, you'll start seeing that flour, sugar and fried foods are the enemy, and you won't be drawn to them.
    Oh dear. That's not going to happen for me anytime soon I'm afraid.

But I just returned from a 58 mile ride so that should be good for an In 'N Out burger, double-double, with well-done fries.

- jobob, who dropped about 20 lbs on Weight Watchers and kept it off thanks to biking (and, the better eating habits I acquired from WW - but give up entirely on junk food? nah).
    Oh, and getting braces. I have to chew so slowly now I actually get *bored* of eating. hoodathunk.
    Last edited by jobob; 01-15-2005 at 04:59 PM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Did you have good weather your way today? Antioch has been gray for forever it seems. Even though I know it was sunny on Wed.

V.

It was a great day, finally! A bit on the chilly side and it was overcast more often than not, but since it's the first weekend day w/o rain we've had for some time now, I'm not complaining!

We went from our home in Union City out to Alum Rock Park in San Jose and back - that's one of our favorite rides, and after all that rain the hills along the way were that wonderful springtime emerald green (appologies to the listmembers currently under a couple of feet of snow )

I developed a cramp in my calf about a third of the way into the ride that subsided after I consumed mass quantities of Cytomax, but then it re-emerged and started moving around to other parts of my leg I've never cramped before so this was a new experience. Best I could guess, my legs were colder than I realized, although luckily only one leg cramped, so blessings were counted. It was more-or-less OK while I kept moving, but after going down a long hill or stopping at a stoplight, once I resumed pedalling I could really feel it. I tried to keep spinning while I was going downhill but that was only marginally helpful. I was wearing my lycra sport pants over my shorts - the pants have close fitting legs but they're not tights. I think I need to get me some legwarmers. Apart from the leg cramp, which was more uncomfortable than actually painful, it was a grand day out.

- Jo.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Bummer about the cramp. But kudos to you for riding. We lounged around the house. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, so we're hoping to mountain bike. I have Monday off and the weather looks good for now so I'm planning a long road ride.

V.

Dropping Weight

JenC
    Weight watchers is a great way to go. I lost 20 lbs 2 years ago and haven't gained any back yet. They teach you better eating habits and healthier food choices. So it really incorporates what others said here. You'll find that you will stay away from fried, and sugar, and white flour... You'll find you increase your vegies and fruits and cut your portion size. That's their whole point. You re-learn what healthy eating is.

Good luck. I know you can do it!

focus on lifestyle changes

Hey There

I agree on NOT thinking about losing weight as dieting. think of it as changing your habits:

stock the cupboards with healthy snacks: dried fruits, nutes, homemade granola, etc etc...
    if you don't BUY junk food, you won't eat it at home
    watch for eating out of boredom. this is something i noticed with myself, especially when i am watching tv. getting up and going to the kitchen...just to browse of course . i catch myself now, and stop myself from taking anything.
    drink more water
    watch for the sugar content of foods. it is CRAZY how many products out there has EXTRA sugar in it: tomato sauce, PEAS, ketchup...there are many low sugar options (and i am not talking about the fake sugar stuff, just products using natural sweeteners like concentrated fruit juices and the like)...start looking for those...
    start thinking about eating EFFECTIVELY. we are so focused on low this, and calories, that we've forgotten about NUTRIENTS. the food pyramid is a nice guideline to follow to make sure you are getting all your needed vitamins. remember, your body know but ONE THING, protect the inside. if you are missing nutrients, your body will pack on the fat to protect your organs.

anyway , just a few of my cents...

have a great day!

Han

Thumbs up focus on lifestyle changes

Well said, Han!

quote:but after a while, you'll start seeing that flour, sugar and fried foods are the enemy, and you won't be drawn to them.
    Oh dear. That's not going to happen for me anytime soon I'm afraid.
    It's a state of mind.
    You can choose to think differently. Or rather, you can train yourself to choose differently. First you decide to quit eating it, for about a week, then when your body stops craving it,( after about a week) you don't want it anymore. Sugar is this way, heavy fats are this way, poor quality carbs are this way. I rarely eat any of that stuff anymore. It's been so long that when I do eat fried or super sweet, it just tastes nasty to me, my body almost rejects it.

I do allow myself real dessert on special occasion, but sweets as an everyday thing? No thank you.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM