Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who's ready for cross season to start???

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's August and I"m already searching the calendars for races and the season start in October. Anyone else daydreaming about cross season?

day dreaming...

Well not exactly...very very nervous though! I am borrowing a friends cross bike for this season, which will be nice to try, and i am not sure my fitness is up to cross standards (ok i know it isn't!) but i am excited none the less!
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

I don't race 'cross, but I looove to watch! I've done the same thing as you, putting races on my calendar so I can plan around them this fall
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Me too. I've been sitting here since last week looking at the upcoming 'cross calendar for my region this fall, marking my calendar, getting excited . . .

I wish! Cyclocross is like a sect here: gotta know the right person who is going to tell you where and when the race is happening!

lost

Please explain the diff betwn mtn biking & cyclocross??

We don';t have this type of biking (cyclocross) in Western Australia...It's not caught on yet.

Actually...We had a guy participating in the 12hr a few years ago on a cyclo cross bike..Let's say they're no match for pea gravel...

C

Here are a couple of links about cyclocross:

The Case for 'Cross

Wikipedia: Cyclocross

Cyclocross Circuit: The Cyclocross Bicycle

The 'cross races I've seen so far are very spectator friendly. The courses were fairly small, so it was easy to walk around and get different vantage points. And it's amazing to watch the dismounts/remounts at barriers!

I've been toying with the idea of contacting a cycling website or local paper to see if I could submit race reviews and photos this season. The idea of that, though, makes me as nervous as racing makes some of you ladies
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Do, cyclocross needs more exposure!!

Quote Originally Posted by cwodiva View Post
    It's August and I"m already searching the calendars for races and the season start in October. Anyone else daydreaming about cross season?
    OH YEAH BABY! Our first race of the season is August 23rd! WOOHOO! New frame coming, time off the bike in prep... Can't wait! Counting down the days.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I've got a line on a used itty bitty cross bike (a Redline Conquest 24) for cheap. If it fits me - if its not actually too small, that would be amazing... I've never tried a bike that was actually too small.... I'll be giving cross a try out this fall.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    I've got a line on a used itty bitty cross bike (a Redline Conquest 24) for cheap. If it fits me - if its not actually too small, that would be amazing... I've never tried a bike that was actually too small.... I'll be giving cross a try out this fall.
    Uh-oh - you're gonna get hooked...

SheFly

Getting a bike!

I was in the shop tonight talking with the owner about getting a cross bike. He doesn't have much in stock, but he spec-ed out a Salsa Chili Concrosso and a Redline Conquest Pro for me. While the Salsa is beautiful (I LOVE the colors!), it's a bit expensive so I'm going with the Redline.

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    Uh-oh - you're gonna get hooked...

SheFly
    double uh-oh - I looked up the geometry of the Conquest 24 - its really not much smaller than my road bike.... I think I'm going to get in trouble for bringing home another bike. BUT honey, it followed me home.... can I keep it, can I, can I .....
    who doesn't need 5 bikes
    (now how do I break it to my coach that I'm not going to be stopping racing in September)
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    double uh-oh - I looked up the geometry of the Conquest 24 - its really not much smaller than my road bike.... I think I'm going to get in trouble for bringing home another bike. BUT honey, it followed me home.... can I keep it, can I, can I .....
    who doesn't need 5 bikes
    (now how do I break it to my coach that I'm not going to be stopping racing in September)
    Only 5?!?!?!?!? Tell him that you know someone on the forum who has 8 - that will put him in his place, and make you seem much more responsible .

Racing is just BEGINNING in September! I'm back on base training to gear up. I think I'd better get out and do some running though - UGH!

We've hooked another one - WOOHOO!

SheFly

Barriers

Shefly : your avator looks so cool !! I'm going to do some practice mounts/remounts tomorrow.

In case anyone is interested, here is a good link to build your own practice barriers.

http://www.bikeman.com/thepit/crossbarriers.htm

I have most of the pieces and need to buy a few more, then will put them together this weekend. A friend of mine had them last year and they were great to practice with. I just hope I can get them together, I'm not super mechanical lol!