Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Snap - which Noodles are they?

All who have Noodles, do you have reach problems in the drops? I currently do.. I can get my tippy tips on the brakes but I'm certainly not comfortable doing this for any period of time since I wanna be sure I can stop when I need to.

How did you all decide on which Noodle??
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Isn't there only one "Noodle" bar?
    The reach problem is more of a feature of the brake levers for me than the bars. I can ride in the drops quite comfortably. But my fingers are a bit short to wrap around my "regular" Shimano brake levers. Snap's brakes look more appropriate.

Snap- is that your dark blue Terry?----nice! It's steel, isn't it?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes Lisa, that's my Terry; she's steel.

Rouge - the brakes I have are ST-R600's - they're supposed to be for smaller hands. Since I've never had any others I don't know if they are smaller. I really haven't had a problem with reach though. Lisa is right, there is only one Noodle bar, they come in different sizes. I think mine are 42's.

On the Riv site there's like 2 - Soba Noodle and then just plain Noodle (mod 177)...

Oh.. I was also reading Noodle but registering Nitto. Like the Dream bar (mod 176) and then there's the ones NOT on the Riv site like the randonneur and few others..

Ah.. so when you say Noodle you mean Mod 177. Got it. DING DING.
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
    Ah.. so when you say Noodle you mean Mod 177. Got it. DING DING.
    Yay!!

Not that there is anything wrong with my handle bars...

But hey what about Terry short reach versus the Nitto bars?

I have troubles reaching my brakes with my fingers (this isn't normal right?) and I always wonder if there is anything I can do about that. hence the terry bar. I wish I could find a link, because now I wonder if it exists...

madscot

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    We should keep in mind that we are actually discussing two different issues here.
    Putting on short reach BARS is not in itself going to give you longer fingers to reach around your brake levers. Short reach bars will indeed help if your whole body/arm reach is too long on your bike, perhaps due to having a non-woman specific bike or a too long top tube. They also might help if you have trouble getting your hands into the drops for riding.
    If your hands can comfortably reach your hoods and comfortably ride in the drops, but it's just your FINGERS having trouble getting around the brake levers, then you might want to get SHORT REACH BRAKE LEVERS (not necessarily short reach handlebars) to solve that problem.

Myself, I would be happy if I had slightly shorter reach brake levers, as I do have a bit of trouble grabbing fingers easily around the levers, but it's not drastic and I can make do until a convenient time in the future to change them. Next time I have a reason to take off my bar tape and such, I will try to swap the brake levers out.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey thanks I thought that different bars would fix the issue. Thanks for clearing up the issue before I went out and bought something/ attached something and nothing changed. that would be a stab to my heart.

but still does anyone have any experience?

Looks like Terry is using Salsa Short and Shallow bars on their bikes now. I remember they used to sell a handlebar, but I don't know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by madscot13 View Post
    Hey thanks I thought that different bars would fix the issue. Thanks for clearing up the issue before I went out and bought something/ attached something and nothing changed. that would be a stab to my heart.

but still does anyone have any experience?
    If you are having problems reaching your brake levers and they are Shimano you could try these. I have them on my Trek and they work well.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...oadBrakeLevers
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I have tried the following 3 bars, always using the shimano short reach brifters and here are my impressions:

Terry T-bar, size 38cm: didn't like, felt too small for my hands in the drops, and too rapid a transition from flat to curvy.

Salsa Short and Shallow, size 40cm: Liked more than terry bar, but agin the ramp was too big and the ergo bump drove me crazy.

Nitto Noodle (original) size 41cm: My dream bar. The ramp is shorter, that is the brake levers are almost at the same level as the tops even with the bottoms parallel to the ground, which I like for comfort in all positions.

Don't confuse lever reach with bar reach. By that I mean the levers you use determine whether when you wrap your hands around the drops you can reach them. But, a short reach bar means the distance from the bar to levers is shorter. The noodle does have a longer reach than the other 2 bars above, which I like cuz it gives me one more hand position, but if you have a bike with a long top tube you may need a short reach bar.