Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Long and Less Long Runs: 2-26 to 3-4

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I haven't gotten my 3 mile run in today, but I figured I would start the thread.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Heck KSH, I have been badder than thou

my last run was Tuesday, I slacked Thursday, then Sunday afternoon sleet was coming horizontally so we rather stayed inside to play scrabble. I won. hehehe.

I did swim 1k each Thursday and Saturday, but I still felt guilty.

Got 40 min in today at lunch with intervals.

I can run one more time this week, then Sunday is my XC adventure so rest is indicated.

my adventure mate is insisting on doing the whole track the day before. No way I am killing myself like that. I just hoped she would listen
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 02-26-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    Heck KSH, I have been badder than thou

my last run was Tuesday, I slacked Thursday, then Sunday afternoon sleet was coming horizontally so we rather stayed inside to play scrabble. I won. hehehe.

I did swim 1k each Thursday and Saturday, but I still felt guilty.

Got 40 min in today at lunch with intervals.

I can run one more time this week, then Sunday is my XC adventure so rest is indicated.

my adventure mate is insisting on doing the whole track the day before. No way I am killing myself like that. I just hoped she would listen
    As long as you have been running pretty frequently until this week, one sporadic week shouldn't derail you. Especially if you have a race next weekend, a week of active recovery will actually do you better than wiping yourself out the day before. You might need to do a bit of web surfing, but there are several articles out there that talk about the benefits of backing off you training a week or two before a race. It's better to go into a race 10% undertrained than even 1% overtrained. That's when you find people hitting their "brick walls" Good luck on Sunday.

Jen

1.75 miles, 18 minutes.

I get off work and rush down to the gym to change clothes so I can hit a near by track.

UH-OH, NO SOCKS!

So, either I drive all the way home and have to run around 7:30 PM, or I run without socks.

No biggie. I will run without socks. What's a couple of small blisters... right?

So, I'm running and having a solid run. No cramps and I'm not feeling *sick*.

Then my arches start to HURT. There are those blisters. It gets worse and worse. I tried to finish out .25 of a mile so I could reach 2 miles, but it wasn't happening.

I rushed back to my car to try to put SOMETHING on my feet. All I could find was deodarent. I put that on one of my blisters. Not working. It kills me to put my shoes back on.

So, I'm 1.25 miles DOWN for the week. I'm so pissed off. And I can barely walk, because I have huge blisters on both of my arches.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Owwww!!!!

Well, I'm hoping my legs will let me go out tomorrow morning.

Yesterday was about what I expected. Quads were a bit sore. Today the fronts of my shins were killing me! How can there be a muscle there? It's so bony!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Say hello to your Tibialis anterior V.

It's the muscle that controls the speed at which your forefoot drops after your heel has contacted the ground. And yup, it hurts like an SOB if you've been away from running for awhile. It also hurts more if you're landing with your foot too far out in front of your body, or hitting too heavily at the heel. So you might want to think about those things the next time you go out for a run.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Owwww!!!!

Well, I'm hoping my legs will let me go out tomorrow morning.

Yesterday was about what I expected. Quads were a bit sore. Today the fronts of my shins were killing me! How can there be a muscle there? It's so bony!

V.
    Oh, I found muscles I didn't even know about... to hurt in my lower legs. It's a constant struggle to keep the pain manageable so I can keep running.

Rest is good. Don't push it too much. It's all about injury prevention.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Say hello to your Tibialis anterior V.
    I knew you would know what it was. Thanks for the advice. It will give me something to think about next time.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Monday is always off.

Tuesday (tomorrow, as of now) is a short run at an easy pace at 7am. Well, I was told by my running partner that tomorrow we're running at 6:45 because we're joined by... a Canadian Supreme Court Justice who's currently visiting at the college where we live!! It's supposed to be at the "leisurely pace of 10min/mile". I'm so sore from the surprise 16k of Sunday, I hope I can keep up!! He's more than twice my age, so I better hold in there!!

Will report.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    How can there be a muscle there? It's so bony!
    ermm... my t.a. has grown to gigantic proportions since I started cycling.
    It's bigger than boyfriend's! That being said, so are my calves. I think it is

a) genetic (dad has monster calves) and
    b) from a lot of pulling on the pedal stroke.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Howdy...

Hill workout today. 8 repeats on the hill, total run 3 miles. Then we came in, changed and went out and did a fast paced bike workout, hill repeats and chasing my rabbit...he is a big rabbit, but he is fun to chase! Thanks Honey!

feelin' better after my sickness....

Did a tempo run this afternoon (well, my HR needed to average about 5bpm higher, but we'll still call it a tempo run ), the tempo run lasting 30min, then add in my warm-up and cool-down; total was 4.3miles. Overall a good workout.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    I've been doing a really good job pretending that I don't have a cold. Unfortunately, I think it's causing the cold to stick around. It's making me a little more fatigued than normal but at least I don't feel like a total lump of caca this week like I did last week. I still managed 17.5 miles last week so I guess it's not that bad. I just wish my nose would quit running and running and running...

We had a big snow dump today (it snowed about 2 inches an hour for about 3 hours) and I didn't get out of work early enough to hit the trail and I wasn't about to run on slushy icky pavement, so I went to the gym with DH and ran 4.5 on the dreadmill. I had 2 fans pointed at me most of the time. Gawd it's hot in there. And I didn't even really have any good scenery today!

Just back in the game....

Ohhhhh, yeah. Today I got in a whopper 2 mile! This is a .25 mile increase on my first run in a month that I accomplished last Saturday (I have been gone on work for the past month, no time or safe place to run ).

And I feel it! Good grief! Mostly in the connection points in my hip flexors, though. I have the most burly T.A.s, though, from being a lifetime runner, that shins are never an issue for me. (Yes, my shins have definition!). However frustrating for me to struggle through 2 when 12 used to be the norm, at least my head feels the same- I love just being out there, and I know it'll get better. Now the weather just needs to do the same.

Bllllaaaaaahhh!!

I'm still fighting some stupid virus. I thought I'd get a run in today. I felt pretty good in the AM. But by noon I was wiped out again.

I'm suffering from adreneline withdrawl and it's not pretty girls!!
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS