Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Another question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't want to be the noisy newbie who just spouts questions (I try to give as much good info as I ask for

My question is about training when the goal is simply to increase total physical fitness and bodily efficiency.

I've never had weight problems, in fact atm I'm the heaviest I've ever been at 120 and 5'4" (I'm 19), and this after having sat at a computer all day at work and eating fast food. (shame)

However, my lack of fitness is more than evident when I try to run up stairs or take long walks with my fit hubby. He tires me out without trying.

Are there any special considerations I should make for a fast metabolism and low physical fitness?

I'm rather proud to say that after biking the small amount I already have, my digestive system is working better (take that, IBS!) and I have more energy during the day. =)

Your stories have been so inspirational, I don't want to quit! =)

I can't address your actual question, but I did want to comment on something.

Weight is a really bad indicator of health/body fat. As a friend of mine told me, "Trying to figure out your body fat by weighing yourself is like weighing your car to figure out how much gas is in your tank." It's true -- if you "watch your weight," you could freak out because you're gaining weight (muscle) or you could lull yourself into a false sense of complacency because you're not gaining weight (as your muscle erodes and you gain fat). Fat is only one component of your weight, but it's definitely the one that can cause the most trouble.

One thing's for sure -- someone who never exercises would have a hard time convincing me they're healthy. So it's great that you're into cycling!

Some observations from the peanut gallery:

I tried eating low-fat and found that I had a lot more energy. When I don't eat fatty foods, I don't get the after-meal sleepies, either. The only problem is that eating lots of fruits and veggies seems to lead to lots of farting and time on the toilet =/ Sigh. You can't win.

Anyway, where was I going? Oh, yeah. I actually taught myself to cook in order to eat low fat, and it turned out to be a great plan. See, most low-fat foods at restaurants kind of suck, but I can make an amazing variety of low fat foods at home, then take 'em to work. I even found a no-fat salad dressing that rules!

I've been reading a couple of books by covert bailey -- they're cheap and short. He's a nutritionist. It's hard not to buy his reasoning -- exercise first, then a low fat diet low in sugars and high in variety, fruits, and veggies. He advocates lots of exercise in little doses throughout the day, and staying in the aerobic range. I have a feeling he's right, but I have trouble managing the plan -- I tend to exercise for long periods of time, in the anaerobic range. Ah, well.
    monique

Unhappy

Wow! You've taken the first steps (clique!) and gotten some results of *just moving* your body! Congratulations!
    I think (IMHO) that its harder for women to start exercising and stay with it...we come up with 'grand' excuses! Use your hubby as a motivator, you are hanging with us on the forum (great motivator), check out other things that interest you and see if you wanna investigate further...just do it (as Nike says).

I am a facilitator at my facility for containment exercises when folks lose their control. It makes me sad when there are women & men who cannot get down to the floor (due to weight & lots of inactivity) and they're half my age (40). And this is just for training....I cannot certify them as fully competent for all the containment exercises simply because they have no range of motion (except standing upright or sitting down).

What's a containment exercise? I've never heard that term before.
    monique

Smile

Contaiment exercise

I work with folks who have disabilities. Sometimes they get angry and lose their control/in crisis. So if we (staff) aren't able to 'talk them down' and my folks keep escalating, we have to contain them (by a 100 different ways it seems) to help them regain their control, talk to us, and for everyone's safety. So yup, I have to be intrusive and get into their personal space, i.e. contain wrists to keep from biting themselves/breaking skin, or running out into street to become a 'grille plate.' When I'm in a situation where I have to use these techniques, it can be exhasusting, using up lots of energy. I'm glad I do ride and run (some) to have endurance and then get rid of my own energy in a positive way after such stuff. Does that help?

Ahh.

Okay, I had a very weird mental image from your previous post. Now I understand. You teach the staff how to restrain out of control people without hurting them.
    monique

Smile

Monique,

Yup! Right on the $$! Oh yea, this is also just a part of the rest of the things I do on my job
    Tracey