Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: I did it!!!!!

I did it!!!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well,
    I finally did it. After thinking about it for several months I finally biked to work. Before you get too impressed, it is only 3 miles from home. I decided last night while waiting for sleep that if I was ready in a timely manner this morning that I would go for it.

So I loaded up my stuff, layered on my clothes and off I went. A bit chilly this morning, and I was not thrilled with the backpack, but other than that. I did it. If I decide that I want to ride in on a regular basis, I am going to take my old hardtail mt bike and set her up for commuting.

Now the funny part. When I announced this decision this morning, the DH was shaving and he says....what???? You are going to do what???

But once I told him, he got the bike ready for me, hooked up my headlamp, and helped me get out the door. He is great.

Ruth

Great job ...biking to work, gets my juices running. I only have a 5 mile ride to work,but it is uphill the whole way. I am slow and steady...It was 36 at 4:15am and I worked up a sweat. Hope you can continue it. I would like to continue to ride through the winter. We have had a mild late fall so far and so I have been able to keep riding to work

what do you mean, ONLY 3 miles!!
    3 miles is a big step out the door first thing in the cold morning, to face traffic, etc.
    good job!!
    i beat myself every day because I am not doing my 4 mile commute (because it's dark and wet)
    keep up the good work.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Those 3 miles add up pretty quickly! Try starting with once a week... then twice... pretty soon you get to ride past the gas stations and think "hmmm... it's been a while!"

Way to go! I too am trying to get the nerve up to start riding to work I always find a million excuses though. I'm ONLY 3.1 miles from work and it's flat with a little downhill. Why am I still driving?

I am already planning for tomorrow.....

And you guys are right. Today is a nonride day for me. I lift on Monday, so no training rides or runs...but I will have done my commute, which is bonus, even if the total is only 20 or 30 mins......

RnR - Congrats on taking the plunge! I would love to commute to work (at least during the warmer time of the year), but it's 29 miles one way driving the interstate, and would be 40+ miles on back roads. Just too far for me to ride before work (I can barely get there by 9 am as it is!), and the traffic-heavy roads I'd have to take to get to the back roads near my office would be too nerve-wracking for me. Ah, to have a 3-5 mile commute to work.... but I love where I live and can ride singletrack, hike, and road ride right from my door way out here in the middle of nowhere, so I guess it's just a trade-off.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

yes, it is a trade off. we have to drive 50 mins to get to the closest decent place to ride singletrack.

Kitsune06 Guest
    I did it too! Woohoo! It was a learning experience.
    Lessons learned:
    1. I didn't need half the insulation I had and was *dying*. I warm up much more than I think, even given the balmy 44* weather.
    2. A good quip is as good as a bad excuse. I half-hit a curb trying to bike around a speed hump, and a guy waiting for the bus saw and smirked. I informed him that it was "Too early for this sh*t!" He burst into laughter. His whole morning was probably better for it.
    3. hills that aren't so bad in your car are still murder. I *walked* a hill this morning. I still feel the tingle of shame in my calves and quads. Is that shame? hm.
    4. I need more fooooood!

All in all, though, I had a great time, and "wanna do it again!" so I think it was worth it.

Hey Kitsune!!!

Awesome!!! It was great right? How far is your commute?

I liked my ride so much this morning, I may take the "long" way tomorrow!

Congratulations rocknrollgirl and kitsune! It's a great way to start and end the day.

Kitsune06 Guest
    mine was 10 mi and kicked my butt so thoroughly that I'm not quite sure what muscles will be happy and what ones will be all knotted up in protest tomorrow. Stupid hills. I don't think I have an entire half mile stretch without at least one 10-20' rise. It's insane. GRR.

Well, 10 miles is a bit more serious of a commute. Fantastic!!!!

I am riding in again today.....