Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Interview with physician/publich health advocate Richard Jackson

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm preaching to the choir, I know, but more evidence for our evangelizing the benefits of bike commuting:

http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=2353

(And sorry for church metaphor.)

In a nutshell: sprawl and car-dependence is the root cause of America's chronic health problems and why we see such poor returns on the money we spend on health care. (I'd say a lack of insurance deterring people from preventative care is as important or nearly so; some hospitals have begun providing free preventative care to patients because it's cheaper than the emergency services the patients needed.)

The only exercise I get is 40 minutes of waking 5 days a week: train to office, office to train, plus 2 miles of bike commuting (as soon as I find the spare bike lock key --- grrr). And that's enough to keep the weight off and the blood pressure normal.

--SJ

Quote Originally Posted by susiej View Post
    The only exercise I get is 40 minutes of waking 5 days a week
    --SJ
    Wow! You only have to wake up 5 days a week? Do you sleep through the other two? (Sorry... I just couldn't resist.)

Thanks for posting this. It's an interesting article, and sometimes I like being preached to - especially when I agree with the one doing the preaching!

Quote Originally Posted by Haudlady View Post
    Wow! You only have to wake up 5 days a week? Do you sleep through the other two? (Sorry... I just couldn't resist.)

Thanks for posting this. It's an interesting article, and sometimes I like being preached to - especially when I agree with the one doing the preaching!
    The other two are running after a toddler and housework -- no exercise at all

The toddler, we are proud to say, is well on the way to a healthy lifestyle. Favorite place to be? "Outside!" When he sees our bikes? "Ride! Ride!" When he sees anyone else's bike: "Mommy!" (Because Mommy biked more than Daddy this summer -- YES!!) When he sees a book or magazine in our house: "Mommy's book!" That's my boy.

--SJ
    Last edited by susiej; 11-01-2006 at 09:06 AM. Reason: " and housework"