Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

OMG - my company offers showers & lockers!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did some asking around, and after calling a few people I found out my company offers showers, lockers and bike lockers (for a cost of $25/year). AMAZING!

(Why they don't tell new employees about this during orientation, I don't know. It's definitely a major perk. )

I am going to be a fair-weathered commuter, though, so I just have six months of waiting to do.

(I just bought the bike, pannier rack and will need a saddle, pannier, new shorts and pedals yet. I just can't spring for tights, jackets, gloves, etc. right now.)
    Last edited by Offthegrid; 10-23-2006 at 06:57 AM.

The place I'm temping at now has a lot of bike rack in their garage and a shower. I haven't done the ride in because I've been... well, kind of banged up by life or something - but I agree that it's a super perk!

The place I worked before a bunch of us rode but the bulk of the crew were hippies so it didn't matter if we stunk :-)
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

maybe we need a poll of what companies are best for cyclists?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

The hospital I work at is currently having a Bus/cycleway built behind it which links up to the University accross the river.

Currently the Hospital Bike park caters to 30 bikes (in the undercover car park). It's currently holding 40.

The hospital is building a new cyclepark near the bikeway. The rumour is it will cater to 120 bikes, have showers, lockers etc and will be free for staff of the hospital or university

But yeah. I LOVE bike friendly employers. Hearing that my BOSS came to work (a professor of Medicine) and forgot his pants so was walking around in his lycra all day last week was just too funny.

We don't get car parks if you're new, you have to break your leg and get a disability pass to park in the carpark. BUT if you ride your bike it's a FREE pass!
    Last edited by light_sabe_r; 10-23-2006 at 04:50 PM.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Quote Originally Posted by light_sabe_r View Post
    But yeah. I LOVE bike friendly employers. Hearing that my BOSS came to work (a professor of Medicine) and forgot his pants so was walking around in his lycra all day last week was just too funny.
    Yup, the down side to bike commuting. Lost track once of which clothes I had at work, and which I had taken home to wash, and ended up at my desk wearing: sleek thin black wool top, elegant long silver grey cardigan - over enormous, baggy windbreaker pants covered with mud splotches.

Didn't join the others for lunch that day...

Back on topic: I *love* my employers for having showers, locker rooms AND an exercise room for weight training, stretching etc. I can't ever quit this place. I just started a "bike-to-work-in-winter campaign" for me and the other soggy messes who come in to the exercise room red-nosed and dripping in the mornings

Kitsune06 Guest
    Woo Woo! Just got the shower room key arranged- there are lockers in there, too! I talked another employee into biking to work with me, so that'll be fun, too.

Going shopping tonight for Doc Bronner's liquid soap (the hand soap in there doesn't seem appealing), a towel I can just leave there (GF would get upset if I just 'borrowed' one of hte house towels) and a heavy-duty lock. Anyone think the camping towels (mega absorbant and quick-drying) would be a good idea? Going to pack a bag with work clothes, frozen food, etc and just leave everything there, too, I think. "Re supply" on Thursdays, when I'll want to drive b/c GF will be waiting for me at home

Oh, yeah, they tore out the bike rack citing 'non-use' last year, so I'm going to get every man, woman,child and creature of unidentified origin biking to this place that I can to create such an "issue" that they'll *have* to put the racks back in. Muahahahaha!!! 'til then, we're locking our bikes up to the handrails around the stairs, so I'm going to just get a big, huge, burly lock, slap it on, and leave it here, just ferrying my cable back and forth with me for emergencies and quick stops.

So thrilled though (and scared and excited)
    woo hoo!

yep

Kit..I use a quick dry camping/travel towel at work.

Another suggestion for you-We take our clothing to work every sunday & therefore don't have to worry if i left any undergarments at home!

c

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune06 View Post
    Oh, yeah, they tore out the bike rack citing 'non-use' last year, so I'm going to get every man, woman,child and creature of unidentified origin biking to this place (...) 'til then, we're locking our bikes up to the handrails around the stairs
    Hah! Nothing like a zillion bikes blocking the handrails to make some bike racks come up

Good luck!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett