Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

oj oj oj first swim class

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey Kitsune - I went with goggles, non-kosher changing in front of everybody (but then people here are very relaxed about showing skin), and no hat.

ooohhh this is tricky.... I could do max. 2 lengths in the 15 meter kids pool before gulping water because I got out of breath.

Sooooo many things to watch out for. *do your homework teacher gave you: take notes*.

But I am determined, I kinda like it when I can get even 6 strokes right, and looking at the differences in techniques among the lappers it is so worth getting it right.

will keep you posted. Teacher is nice and supportive.

9 months for 500 meters? think i can do it?
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    i know you can do it!
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Yes, you can indeed do it.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

That's great that you got a coach/swimming lessons!

9 months... to work up to 500 yards... NO PROBLEM! Just focus on your "homework" and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

YES!!

A coach will really help, and once you get down the basics of form and stroke, it'll all be about endurance and maintaining it.

Oh HECK yeah!!!

Once you get your "water lungs" you'll be golden. Just keep at it, one day it just happens... And having a coach will only help. I used a coach when I first started and it really helped. Of course I need to have a coach now as well! I'm still soo slow... sigh...

Hey Kitsune - I went with goggles, non-kosher changing in front of everybody (but then people here are very relaxed about showing skin), and no hat.

ooohhh this is tricky.... I could do max. 2 lengths in the 15 meter kids pool before gulping water because I got out of breath.

Sooooo many things to watch out for. *do your homework teacher gave you: take notes*.

But I am determined, I kinda like it when I can get even 6 strokes right, and looking at the differences in techniques among the lappers it is so worth getting it right.

will keep you posted. Teacher is nice and supportive.

You will be a fish before you know it. Well Done.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Kitsune06 Guest
    I'm looking into swim lessons, too (my gym provides them free with membership) so we'll see if I have a day that corresponds with that... You can do it, Alpinerabbit! Woo! We'll be n00bs together!

You CAN do it. Just like anything else practice, practice, practice. Glad to hear you have a teacher/coach

I have swam since I was 5 years old, advanced to instructing and lifeguarding then 5 seasons ago our HS girls swim coach started offering adult workouts. After 30 years I had to totally learn how to swim again. (well almost totally - i could still float, albeit gasping for air)

for 3 months I did nothing but laps and laps of practice drills without ever really doing the full stroke. When I finally did put it together I was WAAYYY faster and more efficient than ever.

The not so fun drill and technique laps are really worth it.

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

I was going to add results

When our group first started we were wearing long fins, and snorkels and swam 1700 yds in an hour

4 seasons later - no fins or snorkels and swimming 2300 - 2500 yards in an hour!

(this was swimming 2-3 days per week for 6 months per year)

so you CAN absolutely do it

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

I love swimming and cannot wait to be able to again. My children hate swimming. How could I have children who do not like to swim. Being in the water is so freeing.

I could try swimming, there are lifeguards on duty for a reason, right? Seriously, I need to get back into the water.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

You definitely can do it! I took lessons last year and I couldn't do more than 50 meters without stopping for a long break. I probably will take lessons again after I get a little more overall fitness. But I'm now swimming 1,000 meters comfortably (although I use fins, but don't kick).

I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv swimming, but I'm just so terribly, terribly slow. Even the 70 year old guy swims faster than I do.

With the crazy idea that I might try a tri next spring, I am going to start swimming in January (when I change gyms and have a swim membership). Glad to see that swimming lessons help. I am SLOW, can't do the front stroke at all, mostly do breast stroke. I haven't been able to find goggles that don't let water into my tiny face and get into my contacts.
    So, it's encouraging to hear that you can actually be taught to swim. At this point, I'm an OK cyclist, a slowww runner, and can barely swim.

Y'all, thanks for the supporting notes!!

Sooo....

I also got boyfriend into this, and while on vacation I practiced everyday in the hotel pool.

I can now do a 50 meter lap in the pool and I am faster than the breast strokers (that's in the slowest lane). I have trouble passing though.

We'll see what teacher says about my style next lesson though, I hope I did not mess it up.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 11-14-2006 at 10:46 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Well done. Keep the updates coming, its great to hear how the lessons are working out for you. You will be swimming lap after lap before you know it.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V