Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Make your own trailer

To disable ads, please log-in.

Our family is really getting in the the alternative commute. I have been researching building my own bike trailer. Since I have access to parts working in a shop, I thought it would be a cool project to do with my eldest son (13). Has anyone out there done this yet?

When I was looking for options, I found some sites online that described doing that in some detail. (I think I was googling cargo bicycle or panniers or something like that.) I do *not* have the knack or the tools so I didn't pursue them, but the info is out there. (The xtracycle folks will also sell pieces parts or just talk with folks for doing their own versions of longtail bikes, too.)

Kitsune06 Guest
    http://www.instructables.com/id/ENK7HBIQG6EP286RJK/

Very good plans... thinking seriously about pursuing this...

When we initially began researching this idea, we found many of the sites for building on your own. I actually just googled "build a bike trailer" and came up with many hits. Right now my son is designing the trailer. My roll will be to assist with the build and provide the materials.

Kit, I looked at your link. I'm not sure what emt conduit is, but my thought is to check out PVC pipe. I'm also wondering what could be used as a bottom that might be lighter than plywood and not warp.

I don't even need one!

Kitsune06 Guest
    I was thinking about that. The only thing is that I'm not sure how I would go about bending the PVC into shape, or welding it. I know there are commercial chemical cements available to 'weld' and melt PVC piping together, but as EMT is such a thin metal tubing (Electrical Metal Tubing, I think, E could also be Extruded, though) it might be light enough to near-equal PVC at that diameter...
    The floor, I'm seriously considering that heavy-duty petsafe fiberglass window screening material, like on Burley trailers... just throw some grommets in and lash it to the frame in key spots... What do you think?

This looks good, too.
    Last edited by Kitsune06; 10-08-2006 at 05:26 AM.

Conduit tubing is pretty light. And there are devices to bend it. What about hardware cloth for the bottom? It's a wire mesh (about 1/4 inch square), less stretchy than chicken wire. Depends on how much weight you want to put in the bottom of the trailer, but you could add some cross-braces if necessary.

A trick I've seen on Burley trailers to increase their stability is to dish the wheels towards the outside, widening the wheelbase without widening the trailer.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Kitsune06 Guest
    I'm too much of a novice to be sure about dishing the wheels, but I considered hardware cloth. The problem therein is that galvanized hardware cloth has the galvinization chip/flake off, leaving it open to rust (I used it on our rat cages) but you know... if I spray it down with the rubberized undercoating spray meant for cars and trucks... it'd rust-proof it and leave a cargo-friendly finish. And the hardware cloth would be light. Hmm...

I really like these ideas... Bikemom, are you checking into these, too?

With the pvc, you would probably have to square up the trailer unless there are joints available that are not 45 degree. Plumbers use this heavy duty glue stuff to attach pvc. May work with the emt also.

As to the floor, why don't you see want you can scavenge? It'll at least make it interesting.

PVC would probably not hold up to the load and vibration. It gets brittle with age. My friend built a pvc trailer to haul his kayak at the beach and it snapped in pieces.

Kitsune06 - I am definitely paying attention to this. Here's the one layout that we currently like best: http://www.carryfreedom.com/Y-Frame.html

Keep the ideas coming. Thanks for all of the help.

Y'all might consider keeping an eye on Craigslist - a BOB trailer goes up there every so often.

The idea of building a trailer is pretty ifun, though - I've seen people with rigged trailers; there's a guy out here with a bike-pulled wagon that he built out of two (or maybe three) wrecked bicycles. Next time I see it I'll try to get a picture for you guys.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Quote Originally Posted by bikemom View Post
    Kitsune06 - I am definitely paying attention to this. Here's the one layout that we currently like best: http://www.carryfreedom.com/Y-Frame.html

Keep the ideas coming. Thanks for all of the help.
    I like that one. It's simple and attractive. I just keep wondering about the plywood. Though that would be the most easily replacable component.

HipGnosis6 - I do keep an eye on Craigs List for a decently priced Burley Nomad. Even though I work in a shop, I still can't afford an employee purchase price right now. My son and I thought it would be cool to do one out of scrap.

Something occurred to me last night to use for the bottom of a trailer and could probably be scavenged. You know those big hard plastics things that offices put under rolling chairs to protect the carpet? They get tossed all the time. They should be cuttable with a jigsaw or circular saw. They wouldn't be affected by water at all. I have one in my garage, but it probably wouldn't be cost-effective to ship.