Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm the only one allowed to whine
    Posts
    10,576

    Love my presta-Schrader adapter!

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    I bought one of those $1 little brass adapters that you screw onto the presta valve to make it a Schrader. Works great!

    I thought it would be a pain, but it is just great. I can use my finicky floor pump and my Schrader pressure gauge with a minimum of fuss. (Kona is Schrader, Flossie is presta.)

    Might have to get a couple more of those handy little things!

    Also got a replacement Serfas pump for the one that exploded the first time I used it. Very nice pump.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,559
    Used to be lots of odd little places you could screw one of those on a bike. Like the back of your downtube shifter or the end of your quick release skewer. Definitely worth having if your presta pump breaks near a gas station.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

    2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Md suburbs of Wash. DC
    Posts
    2,131
    Hmmmm... The Presta side of my pump's a little finicky, too. I may have to pick up a set of those adapters. I assume the adapters screw on and off so that you can use the Presta valve again if you choose to...?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

    Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Hmmmm... The Presta side of my pump's a little finicky, too. I may have to pick up a set of those adapters. I assume the adapters screw on and off so that you can use the Presta valve again if you choose to...?
    Yes, they screw on and off. Not as simple to use as leaving them on the valve permanently, because you have to remove the adapter, open the presta valve, screw the adapter on, pump it up, screw the adapter off, close the presta valve, screw the adapter back on.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

    2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    1,197
    Hey, Knotted
    I love the schrader adaptor. One of the first accessories I bought for the bike. It seemed a better alternative to getting pi$$ed off every time I had to replace or pump up a tube.
    I use an empty 35mm film canister, (am I the only one who still LOVES film?) put in two schrader adaptors, extra bolts for cleats..., some extra valve caps and metal retainers from tubes that have flattened (too easy to misplace along the road), and some folded up money to keep it all from rattling around.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA County
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I bought one of those $1 little brass adapters that you screw onto the presta valve to make it a Schrader. Works great!
    I think you overpaid for your's. I paid 50% less for mine!...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm the only one allowed to whine
    Posts
    10,576
    Ahh, but I got a 10% discount because LBS sponsers Team Survivor! So actually, you paid, umm, oh dear I can't do the math...

    50 cents vs. 90 cents is what percent?

    Oh, I giive up!

    Hey, you know those stickers for bikes that say "One Less Car"? I saw one on a bike yesterday that said "One Less Fixed Gear".
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,507
    I got an air compressor that plugs into my truck lighter thingie. I attached an adapter to it and it's my permanent presta compressor. But I need to go back and get a couple more to stick in my saddle bag.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    240
    Do you think using a schrader adapter on a presta valve is easier than using the presta valve?

    I have a floor pump that has a double head for presta and schrader, but getting my tire up to 110 is nearly impossible. I tried using my Dad's floor pump and it as wicked easy to get it up to 120, barely any effort. Instead of buying a new pump, do you think if I buy an adapter and use the schrader head to pump the tires it will be any easier? Or do I just have a crappy floor pump?

    BTW - Knottedyet: If you paid 50 cents for an item that was originally 90 cents, you had a 45% discount : )
    Last edited by CycleChic06; 10-10-2006 at 09:21 AM.
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,507
    CC, the difficulty you are having is just that it gets harder to pump as the pressure gets high. With my little frame pump, it's almost impossible. Folks want the converters so they can use gas station air.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
    CC, the difficulty you are having is just that it gets harder to pump as the pressure gets high. With my little frame pump, it's almost impossible. Folks want the converters so they can use gas station air.
    Yep! But I use it at home too b/c I ripped off 2 stems in a row trying to detach the pump using the Presta. Shrader is what I grew up with and I just have less stress that way.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    8,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Hey, Knotted
    I love the schrader adaptor. One of the first accessories I bought for the bike. It seemed a better alternative to getting pi$$ed off every time I had to replace or pump up a tube.
    I use an empty 35mm film canister, (am I the only one who still LOVES film?) put in two schrader adaptors, extra bolts for cleats..., some extra valve caps and metal retainers from tubes that have flattened (too easy to misplace along the road), and some folded up money to keep it all from rattling around.
    I still love film and remember when we could get metal cannisters from the photo shop. Kept different stuff in it than you, though

    LBS guy used one of those on my bike this morning so he could use his air compressor.now I don't have to return the wrong pump I bought!

    Once again, I am enlightened by TE!!!!
    Last edited by Zen; 08-01-2007 at 10:00 PM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    IL/FL
    Posts
    3,863
    I use an adapter because I have a compressor in my garage that is schrader only...works like a charm!

    Electra Townie 7D

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,867
    I just keep the adapter on one of the valves on my bike. :shrug:

    Karen

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Yep! But I use it at home too b/c I ripped off 2 stems in a row trying to detach the pump using the Presta. Shrader is what I grew up with and I just have less stress that way.
    yeah and I grew up with blackboards made of slate and fountain pens, but look at me, look at me now!!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •